1.    #1  
    Hi there,

first post, bad news.

I'm a german treo user and wanted to build a german custom rom. Let me describe in short words what i did and what went wrong:
    1. I unzipped the 1.12 Rom with romtool
    2. I removed all languages except german and some files like mytreo
    3. I exported these files to low-palmos.zip + checksum file with romtool
    4. I used rexx32 to create low-palmos.zip.a.pdb to low-palmos.zip.g.pdb (had to adjust one line in zip2pdb.rex so that the number of low-palmos.zip.*.pdb matchted the size of low-palmos.zip)
    5. In the original structure of the unzipped sd-updater from the palm-site, ie in Palm\DeviceCustomizer\Treo680.ROW\ i replaced the existing low-palmos-files with these new low-palmos.*.pdb files and copied the checksum generated from romtool to the low-palmos.zip.md5.pdb in this path
    6. I then put the whole Palm folder onto the SD-Card and put it into my treo

So far so good. The firmware update went ok (didn't change anything there). But then the screen appeared telling me that the rom would be updated and i should not reset the device. But the device resetted by itself, the palm logo and the black bar appeared and after that the screen went dark and nothing else happend.
    After waiting several minutes I tried a hard reset but same thing happens: palm logo with bar -> black screen -> nothing

Can anyone of the custom-rom builder tell me what i did wrong?
    And perhaps even more important did anyone find a way to get the treo back to life from this point?

Thanks in advance

KristianR
    2. I removed all languages except german
    Have you changed the Locale parameter in boot.conf from "enUS" to "deDE"?

4. I used rexx32 to create low-palmos.zip.a.pdb to low-palmos.zip.g.pdb (had to adjust one line in zip2pdb.rex so that the number of low-palmos.zip.*.pdb matchted the size of low-palmos.zip)
    Can you better explain it?

5. In the original structure of the unzipped sd-updater from the palm-site, ie in Palm\DeviceCustomizer\Treo680.ROW\ i ......... copied the checksum generated from romtool to the low-palmos.zip.md5.pdb in this path
    Have you copied the 32 character string after "=" and replace it?
  3.    #3  
    Hi

thank you for your reply.

2: No I did not change anything in the boot.conf
    To make it right I would have to change "locale=enUS" to "locale=deDE"? Do I have to remove the references to all missing language files in boot.conf as well?

4: I used the modified TXUpdater from http://idisk.mac.com/tomtastic-Public?view=web
    in zip2pdb.rex i changed
    " filnum=parts(len,2097152)
    if filnum<>6 then do
    "

to

"
    filnum=parts(len,2097152)
    if filnum<>7 then do
    "

Because I thought that the number tells how many low-palmos.zip.*.pdb need to be created. And I felt reaassured by post number 848 on http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...144028&page=43

5: Yes. I used a hexeditor to overwrite the 32bit string following the "=" sign

I guess the point where it went wrong is in "2" where I did not modify the boot.conf?

Any ideas on how to get my treo back to live? If taking the treo apart or soldering is required I would give it a try.

Kind regards
    KristianR
    Yup, you've bricked it for good.

Nothing to do with the MD5 hash, as if you'd gotten that wrong then the romupdater would have complained and refused to flash it. Though I had never tried to create a single (non-US English) language ROM before, it seems likely that the boot.conf modification (or lack of) is what's upset your device.

Send it back if it's under warranty, or you can also use it to keep papers from blowing away.
  5.    #5  
    That's sad news. I hoped there would be some way to flash the rom "the hard way". I.e building a special cable or soldering on the PCB.

Any ideas in this direction? Are other people working on this issue, or a bootloader for the treo 680?

Thanks in advance
    You're welcome to join me hunting for JTAG points on the motherboard, but I suspect it's still your best option to send the phone back for repair.
  7.    #7  
    Just out of curiosity. Except failing to modify the boot.conf did I do the other points right? If I was going to give it a second try, what would I have to keep in mind, are there any other "traps"?
    Is the modification of the parameter "locale=enUS" to "locale=deDE" the only thing I missed?
    Do I have to remove the references to the deleted files in boot.conf?
    Or is it better idea to keep english language together with german (and only delete spanish, portugese and italian)?

Best regards
    KristianR
    I'd keep both English and German language files if I were you.
    Hi,

I did the same thing or nearly on my Centro. Changed the file "boot.conf" to use frFR, and then it keeps on booting in loops. Damn
    Hi there !

Here is the procedure i used, in case it is useful for someone else (without the boot.conf modification that bricked my Centro, of course !!) :

http://mo5.com/centro/index.html

Philippe.
    Hi. I need your help. My boss want me to change the splash screen or the on/off radio screen on a Palm Treo 680 but I donīt have any clue about how to do it. Can you give me a clue, a tutorial, a link or directions how to do this, create a custom rom for the Treo 680? Please advice...