Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    01/16/08
    I have a Sprint 700P.

I know the SMS database on Treo's have an inclination to get corrupted. But I'm not certain corruption is my problem, as half the time I can restore a freshly made copy of the file.

I use a spare battery and swap between the two at least 3 times per day.

I noticed that the battery swaps (essentially a reset) would often cause my SMS's to disappear upon reboot. This happens about once in every 5 battery swaps, or every other day.

So, I started using NVBackup. But that too is unreliable. Half the time when I selectively restore my Message Database it works. The rest of the time I'm still left with an empty text application.

Currently, I create a new NVBackup every time I dare to change my batteries. Knowing full well that if the messages disappear, it's only 50/50 that NVBackup will save me. Otherwise, I go back to an older backup. And an older one after that - until I find one that will restore correctly.

And when on occassion the phone crashes, I hold my breath that the messages will come back. Because for those unplanned 'resets' I didn't know to have a current backup on standby.

Anyway, this is driving me crazy and making the phone a lot less fun to use and own. I'm used to Treo's being flakey. But I can't understand why NVBackup is letting me down. I've heard so many good things about it.

Would a better backup program save me? Is there a program that would just backup my SMS's quickly and reliably on the go? I really don't need to waste time deleting and creating 3 backup sets every day. Especially when that chore still isn't very reliable.

-----
    01/22/08
    Update:

Lately, I've been too afraid to swap batteries and endanger my texts. So, I've tried like crazy to keep my Treo plugged in. But today I knew I'd be away from power too long not to have to risk it.

In preperation I made 2 new backup sets and updated 2 old sets. Four backups!!! Also, in between making each set, I'd send myself a text so that each backup message database would be different. I wasn't taking any chances.

As you can guess, after the battery swap, I lost all of my texts! None of the 4 NVBackups I made were able to restore my messages. I'm disgusted. Any ideas how I can avoid this from happening again?
    What NVBackup version are you using? Updating to 1.21 seems to have resolved my SMS database corruption issues. YMMV.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I got excited for a second. But, alas, my version is already at 1.21. Still, thanks for the suggestion.
    I use Backupman and just yesterday restored my lost SMS messages. But I did a whole refresh, then re-synch. It takes about 3 minutes to restore from a backup on my SD card. I never tried the selective restore even though it offers this function.