Apologies to all if this is an issue that's been discussed elsewhere, but I've got myself in a bit of a bind here, and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I just upgraded from an old, beat-up Verizon Treo 650 (which served me well) to a Treo 755p. I managed to get all my contacts and applications transferred over, but after early success connecting the 755p to my laptop, suddenly, Windows XP crashes every time I plug the new Treo into the USB slot.

For the record, it's an Acer laptop with a Core Duo CPU and 1GB of RAM. When I connect my 650 first, it worked fine, but now the new Treo crashing XP. I haven't been able to get a good look at the BSOD, but it's referencing PalmUSBD.sys. Uninstalling and reinstalling Palm Desktop didn't help, either. It's also corrupting my Firefox bookmarks. No idea why.

I have Zlauncher, so I'm still able to get new apps on the 755p through the memory card, but at the moment, I have no way of backing up my contacts if things go horribly wrong. I have BT on the laptop, but I haven't figured out how to do wireless sync that way yet.

Any suggestions?

-Dave