Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Is it possible to use the Centro as a modem via bluetooth or cable with paying Sprint for their $39.99 "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem"? I do of course have a data plan that allows me to access the internet on the phone.
    In order to do this you will either need to:

A. Install a hack

B. Buy a 3rd party program (USB Modem, etc)
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    In order to do this you will either need to:

A. Install a hack

B. Buy a 3rd party program (USB Modem, etc)
    but I'm looking for more detail information on how to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by agheler View Post
    but I'm looking for more detail information on how to do this.
    Which one?
    Check out the program PDANet. It works great.
    Check out the program USB modem. It works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by agheler View Post
    Is it possible to use the Centro as a modem via bluetooth or cable with paying Sprint for their $39.99 "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem"? I do of course have a data plan that allows me to access the internet on the phone.
    It seems like it must be smart a** week on treocentral. You ask if you can use Centro as a modem with paying Sprint for their Phone as Modem plan. Well, of course you can. Call them and set it up and you can use it either with the USB cord or by Bluetooth.

What you should be doing, however, is saving the $39 per month for the plan, and get one of two programs that will let you do the same thing with only a one time charge for the program. As mentioned in the other two posts,
    PdaNet (my favorite) can be used. Here is their link:
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

USB Modem is the other. Here's a link for it:
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

There are many threads here that cover this on the boards. Do an advanced search for PdaNet or USB Modem to learn more. Enjoy your Centro.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I have used both applications. PDANet works with the Windows OS system and USB Modem works with both Windows OS and Mac.

Ben
    Looks like USB Modem is cheeper, but PDANet offers the bluetooth option, which is so much easier. @SIGH@ Guess my wife will kill me again for spending so much on my Centro!!!! ( She is just jealous cause her LG Rumor isnt as cool, HA!)
    Eric "FerretBOY" T.
    Sprint Centro in Black - Stewie skin on top. (What the Deuce???)
    Running Lightspeed for battery and CPU boost.

"Welcome to Sprint . . . Sorry, you live in a backwater area that doesn't support EVDO . . . You lose . . . Please HOLD, while we place you on HOLD!!"

If G-D didnt want man to have a treo, he wouldnt give us opposable thumbs to type on its keyboard !
    I use Bluetooth extensively unless a really big file needs to be moved. Bluetooth at the end of the day to transfer my HanDBase files done during the day. Bluetooth at the end of the day with a couple of other applications and of course to hot sync. Hate those cables.

Ben
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I vote for USB Modem over PDANet.

PDANet requires you to install a Windows program in order to connect. It does not work with Mac or Windows, and it only works on computers that the client program is installed on.

USB Modem, despite the name, works with USB and Bluetooth. It works with any PC, Mac, or Linux box that supports either USB dial-up modems or Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking. In USB mode, the phone shows up as a USB modem, and you dial *777 from your computer and you're connected. In Bluetooth mode, the phone shows up as TWO dial-up modems: the default Palm one that wants $40 a month and the "Mobile Stream DUN" that works with the regular Sprint service. It's also cheaper than PDANet.

The real advantage to USB Modem is that if I'm visiting a friend who has a laptop with Bluetooth, I can use USB Modem over Bluetooth to connect their laptop to the internet without installing any software.