1.    #1  
    Folks;

Anyone else having SMS troubles with the new ROM update? Prior to this my unlocked 680 had no problems sending messages longer than 160 characters. Now it just gives me an alarm beep and refuses to type anything past the 160 character limit. This is seriously annoying. Am I the only one?
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    Folks;

Anyone else having SMS troubles with the new ROM update? Prior to this my unlocked 680 had no problems sending messages longer than 160 characters. Now it just gives me an alarm beep and refuses to type anything past the 160 character limit. This is seriously annoying. Am I the only one?
    I'm also having this problem and I'm from Melbourne Australia. I rang palm today and they said that the GSM update was designed for the US and not for Asia/Pacific. Palm said the only solution was to get a replacement to a refurbished treo 680 with the old firmware. This is very frustrating. How have other Australian's gone with the update?
    Is there any other software solution that would work? I don't want to go back as the benefits of 4gb+ SDHC support is much better post update.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just tested it and after I go past the 160 characters, it automatically creates a new message. I sent them, and confirmed both messages were sent (just like it did before the update).

I am using T-mobile (USA)

I would do a backup and then a hard reset, then test the SMS with nothing installed. It may that a third party application is causing the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfme View Post
    I just tested it and after I go past the 160 characters, it automatically creates a new message. I sent them, and confirmed both messages were sent (just like it did before the update).

I am using T-mobile (USA)

I would do a backup and then a hard reset, then test the SMS with nothing installed. It may that a third party application is causing the problem.
    the same for me with TIM (Italy)
    mee too, on Optus Australia
    I just performed a hard reset to test the character limitation with no other software installed. It was still there so most likely it's something to do with the update not being compatible with asia/pacific GSM phones as Palm told me today on the phone.
    My Treo 680 has the ROW (Rest of the World) ROM...
    I did the update and am still able to send SMS with more than 160 characters...
    in fact, I just did send one to a colleague, and she got it as 1 sms on her Sony Ericsson...
    I got her to send me back the SMS and it came back as 1 SMS as well...
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  9.    #9  
    I just performed a hard reset to test the character limitation with no other software installed. It was still there so most likely it's something to do with the update not being compatible with asia/pacific GSM phones as Palm told me today on the phone.
    I'm in Sydney Schulj - I came to that conclusion too after much tinkering last night. You can fix it by rolling back to the old ROM. There's a download link for the old 1.04 at the bottom of this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...50&postcount=1

I installed the "Custom" version last night. Everything's back to normal and as a bonus the 680 now boots twice as fast as it used to.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I am on an arctic unlocked on ATT USA new firmware and I can still send more than 160 chracters. It is split into more than one message but not limited. It tells me how many messages as I type.

greg
    Has anyone tried the 680 unlocked GSM 2.12 update in Australia? Are there still sms limitations due to the 160 character limit? Thanks
    2.12 still has sms problem with optus
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    I'm in Sydney Schulj - I came to that conclusion too after much tinkering last night. You can fix it by rolling back to the old ROM. There's a download link for the old 1.04 at the bottom of this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...50&postcount=1

I installed the "Custom" version last night. Everything's back to normal and as a bonus the 680 now boots twice as fast as it used to.
    Or better yet, if you find the update is problematic, try the hybrid ROM (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=159784) which is a combination of the 1.12 firmware and 1.04 ROM. I don't think you will regret it.
    i am currently on 2.12ROW, i am not tech savvy, but my Treo680 can no longer send sms longer than 160 characters. In fact, this happened about 2 days ago which is what drove me to update. Can someone please comment and guide me thru the process required to fix my phone. I bought the treo only for the long sms!!
    I have this same problem with unlocked 2.11ATT
    Unlocked Treo 680 on Optus in Australia.
    Updated rom 1.04 to 1.12 which imposed 160 character limit on outbound sms.
    Palm support australia sent me a link for "MSGLENFIX" at MYTREO.NET (downloads).
    Sorry cant post link. not enough posts - newby.

Installed it, started it, removed and replaced battery.
    Fixed problem when replying via the chat log, but it seems not when starting a new message. Big improvement. (I can always just turn it into an mms, as the fee is the same for me.)

Cheers.