Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    very interesting app. Thanks for sharing!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not trying to **** anyone's Cheerios, but I've been wondering this for some time:

What's the value of finding your location on a map within a mile or more? How is that useful?

Again, I'm just curious. Thanks.
    This isn't for knowing exactly where you are, it's more or less just handy for finding what is around you without having to scroll through the map and find yourself.

IMO, these two steps are the same, assuming you know here you are:

Run MyLocation
    See what's around you (find Nearby business)

Launch Google Maps
    Search for street name, city
    Scroll to your current location
    Rezoom if necessary to get a closer view

However, in an emergency situation, maybe you don't know where you are, this could actually help, although E911 should have even better coordinates than this (seems) to.

I do carry a bluetooth GPS with me 24/7 but to get a quick view of Google Maps of where I am, I launch this program. It loads right up, no turning on GPS, waiting for it to get fix, then launching WhereAmI?

I still use WhereAmI? to get an exact view of where I am when I need that, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I get error 4626. How about proxy support for T-Mobile Web users?
    Just upgraded from .1 to .2 and now I get error 4626
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    This isn't for knowing exactly where you are, it's more or less just handy for finding what is around you without having to scroll through the map and find yourself.

IMO, these two steps are the same, assuming you know here you are:

Run MyLocation

Launch Google Maps
    Search for street name, city
    Scroll to your current location
    Rezoom if necessary to get a closer view

However, in an emergency situation, maybe you don't know where you are, this could actually help, although E911 should have even better coordinates than this (seems) to.

I do carry a bluetooth GPS with me 24/7 but to get a quick view of Google Maps of where I am, I launch this program. It loads right up, no turning on GPS, waiting for it to get fix, then launching WhereAmI?

I still use WhereAmI? to get an exact view of where I am when I need that, however.
    (Not sure why I didn't get an e-mail notification of this response.)

Thanks for responding. So, as long as you want to know information about your general surroundings, up to a mile or so (since it may be "off" by that much) it comes in handy, eh?

It's kind of hard for me to imagine an emergency situation in which having your location within a mile radius is helpful, but when you've got no information I guess that could be reassuring.

*tries to wrap sleepy brain around it*
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    (Not sure why I didn't get an e-mail notification of this response.)

Thanks for responding. So, as long as you want to know information about your general surroundings, up to a mile or so (since it may be "off" by that much) it comes in handy, eh?

It's kind of hard for me to imagine an emergency situation in which having your location within a mile radius is helpful, but when you've got no information I guess that could be reassuring.

*tries to wrap sleepy brain around it*
    I don't really see this as an emergency tool, just extra convenience when I want to ask the "I am in XYZ Shopping Center, where is a pizza place?" type of question. Rather than having to search for your location, it'll be fairly close.
    I can't seem to make this work. It just keeps trying to connect to T-Mo's network. It may be because I am using linkstart for most of my applications including Google Maps. Let me move my Google maps to main memory.
    Ahhh, Googlemaps has to be in main memory for this to work right. Thanks Razix.

It got my location within 1.1 miles from my actual location. For a free app, I am happy. Now I have a working application that helps me pinpoint places from where I am (in approx. position).
    Not that it would work on my Sprint 755p, but I guess I could see using such an app to find out where the closest gas stations are, from the interstate. My gps software does this but I must admit that it misses quite a few businesses in smaller towns. In such a case, absolute precision (regarding my location) is not a must.

I'm not sure that I knew that Google Maps' could perform a "radar search" from the current location. I'll have to mess with that a bit.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Well it runs on my Treo 680, but it cannot identify any cellsites in my location... probably for the entire country -- Philippines.

Sad.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I loaded it on my 680 to try but what or how is this usefull?
    It's not working for me. I'm using a Treo 680 on T-Mobile TZones (via proxy).
    No, use Where Am I? for that to get GPS data into Google Maps. Same idea as this one; you get a one-shot coordinate in.
    Well, that's too bad. I was hoping for an alternative to Where Am I which requires a bluetooth GPS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Well, that's too bad. I was hoping for an alternative to Where Am I which requires a bluetooth GPS device.
    Considering the Treo's don't have a real GPS in them, unless you can get the triagulated signal that some carriers will feed you for directions which is probably less than 100 meters off, then no.
    Considering the Treo's don't have a real GPS in them, unless you can get the triagulated signal that some carriers will feed you for directions which is probably less than 100 meters off, then no.
    Actually, I use my Treo with a Seido gps car kit (non-bluetooth). Sometimes I feel it would be nice if I could get my location on google map and search for businesses in my area.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    It's useful because if you are in an unfamiliar place and you want to know where the nearest gas station, thai food restaurant, etc is you can do a search and it will show you on the map the nearest location from where you are to whatever it is you are looking for.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    MyLocation works for giving you a general idea where you are, but it isn't that accurate in terms of street by street location. I use it to figure out where we are on the freeway and how much farther we have to go. Haven't needed to by other GPS software however....
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    I loaded it on my 680 to try but what or how is this usefull?
    The other night the wife and I were at an early evening meetin gwhich took longer that we thought. While we were in an area we were familiar with, we weren't familiar with the restaurants. I pulled up MyLocation looked for the closest Mexican Restaurant and it told us where it was. By the map, we could see how to get there from where we were.

My son was on a business trip and was tired of eating the breakfast offered at the hotel, had his mouth set on waffles, used MyLocation and found a nearby Waffle House.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Actually, I use my Treo with a Seido gps car kit (non-bluetooth). Sometimes I feel it would be nice if I could get my location on google map and search for businesses in my area.
    Aaah, I see. I'd never considered that limitation in Where Am I?
    What's the value of finding your location on a map within a mile or more? How is that useful?
    (A little late to the thread here) obviously, you're not a heavy drinker, west3man

I think this is awesome - I do a lot traveling (stopped drinking long ago), and when I want to use google maps, the first thing I always have to do is get an address to type in, and it usually takes a few tries -- this will let me skip that step. Additionally, it's conceivable I could get so lost driving around that it would come in handy (get the area, find a landmark, match it to the map, etc.)

For my datapoint, I'm a t-mo unlocked 680 user. I have t-mo's internet plan. For some reason, I've got 6 network profiles (two each of T-Mobile Internet, T-Mobile VPN, and T-Zones) - only the T-Mobile Internet profiles work. When I connect to GPRS, sometimes the selection slips into the T-Mobile VPN profiles, and fails -- not sure why this is, it's been true since I got the 680, and I can't seem to do anything about it except go re-select the right profile and try again.

Anyway, when My Location initializes, it appears to force a reconnection to GPRS (I guess that's where it gets the tower locations from), and in my case, that often causes this profile mismatch problem, which results in an error in MyLocation. Because of this, it often takes me a few tries, but ultimately it works. So far, it's got me one block over from where I am in downtown Houston -- nice!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Any love for Sprint users yet?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast