1.    #1  
    I've used a screen protector with my Treo 680 since the day I got it, but
    there appears to be dust underneath the clear plastic of my Treo 680
    screen. I have seen that PDAParts has replacement screens for sale
    at $79.99, but I was wondering if it is possible to remove the screen
    as per their video and then separate the clear plastic and clean out the
    dust from underneath it without damaging the screen.

Anybody else had the same issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by barrycaceres View Post
    I've used a screen protector with my Treo 680 since the day I got it, but
    there appears to be dust underneath the clear plastic of my Treo 680
    screen. I have seen that PDAParts has replacement screens for sale
    at $79.99, but I was wondering if it is possible to remove the screen
    as per their video and then separate the clear plastic and clean out the
    dust from underneath it without damaging the screen.

Anybody else had the same issue?

It's possible to remove the dust from your digitzire & LCD screen, but don;t bother. The success rate is 1/10 of failing. If there's a huge amount, replace the screen. If not, let the dust build up and then replace it.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 01/19/2008 at 12:52 AM.
    There were a thread someplace around here that had detailed instructions for disassembling a Treo, and it looked very complicated to get to the point that you'd need to in order to clean under the screen.

Take a look at my thread further on down the page - as you'll see a few of us have had this problem (and in my case, it happened on my initial 680 and it's replacement).
    This is the thread ...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=158636

"The success rate is 1/10 of failing" - Re-applying the two tiny ribbon cable ... impossible! I had to replace my screen, so that's why I went for it.
    I Have Had it work for me on a screen from a 600 screen, But the 680 screen is very difficult to get to, (I had to replace mine because of dust under the screen as well.) I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you are Familiar and comfortable with taking apart treos, and have the right tools for it.
    I wrote that article and I don't think it's that tough. The hardest part is not the digitizer. Once you have the screen out, the digitizer is only 1 small ribbon and then it just clamps onto the screen. I bought a Palm TX recently and it for some reason had a hair between the screen and digitizer. Gross. I pulled it apart and re-assembled in about 15 minutes.

Actually the hardest part is getting the screen ribbon seated properly back to the main board. This is why suggest testing the unit as you re-assemble.

I have now replaced the case on 3 units. I made a crimson one for my wife, and she loves it.

pdaparts.com actually has a video

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...1C-Wcc3Bz75zpl
    Last edited by red-beard; 01/23/2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    I wrote that article and I don't think it's that tough. The hardest part is not the digitizer. Once you have the screen out, the digitizer is only 1 small ribbon and then it just clamps onto the screen. I bought a Palm TX recently and it for some reason had a hair between the screen and digitizer. Gross. I pulled it apart and re-assembled in about 15 minutes.

Actually the hardest part is getting the screen ribbon seated properly back to the main board. This is why suggest testing the unit as you re-assemble.

I have now replaced the case on 3 units. I made a copper one for my wife, and she loves it.

pdaparts.com actually has a video

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...1C-Wcc3Bz75zpl
    I was referring to the two little ribbon cables, the ones connecting to the LCD screen itself. One for the digitzire and the other one is the back light for LCD screen. I couldn't get those tiny cables back in and snapped them .... after a long time of trying.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 01/21/2008 at 12:35 PM.
    Hmmmm. You only need to remove the one 4 wire ribbon to take off the digitizer and reseating that one is far easier than the LCD ribbon back to the main board.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  9.    #9  
    Thanks everybody for the responses.... I might just give this a try (still working
    up the courage). Worst case is I have to buy a new screen which is a bit
    pricey. I almost snagged a refurbished Treo 680 from AT&T when they had
    them last month for $80, but they went too fast and now they are gone.

Thanks again! I'll post back with my success/failure if I decide to give this a
    try.
    Are you past the 1 year warranty period?