1.    #1  
    when i use usbmodem through my usb the phone also charges itself draining my laptop battery.

is there a setting or a way to tell the phone to not charge while using it as a modem?

or a program i can download because my laptop batter goes way fast using the internet and charging the phone.

thanks in advance.
    Yeah I have also run into this problem but I don't have a fix yet.. Ive been working on it. I will report back when I find an answer.
  3.    #3  
    yea I would greatly appreciate it.
    i dont think it may be possible. I am no technician but i think the transmission of data soes require power also so you cannot separate one function from another.
    As a quick sidenote - do you have a sprint or Verizon 755p? I'm going to be getting a Verizon 755p and I'm really curious to see if they've REALLY let DUN work with the 755p.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I can't vouch for this on a Treo, but in ancient days one could just cover up pins 1 and 4 of the USB connector. I'd suggest one of those extension cables that comes with the small card readers, etc. and putting thin strips of electrical tape over the outermost prongs of the female (unusual) end as the least destructive method (it takes some working with a pocketknife but I've done it so it can be done: ). Back in the days of the m130 these pins weren't connected in the OEM cradle, so I know POS could at least then work without them. Unfortunately my sync cable is at work or I'd give it a shot.

I'm curious about the user experience with no power to the phone while using a data app, even with a big battery.

Best,
    -Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by aetrix9 View Post
    I'm really curious to see if they've REALLY let DUN work with the 755p.
    I use DUN on my 755p on Sprint. I use USBmodem on my Apple Powerbook.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Stupid Verizon doesn't let you have their access program for the Mac unless you're using a Motorola handset. I can't DUN from my Mac with my 755p!

http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx

Why didn't anybody TELL Me this BEFORE I bought the thing? Damnit.

It's a really nice phone, though.

Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post

Gary
    Stupid Verizon doesn't let you have their access program for the Mac unless you're using a Motorola handset. I can't DUN from my Mac with my 755p!

http://www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx

Why didn't anybody TELL Me this BEFORE I bought the thing? Damnit.

It's a really nice phone, though.
    I used PdaNet for two years on Verizon. I also thought that USBModem worked on Macs (http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html).

That should solve your problem.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I would think if you use USBmodem (a Treo program by Mobile Stream) it would work fine for you.
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post

Gary
    Gary, I just installed USBmodem on my 755P and got everything working up to having my 755P show up in the PowerBook's Network prefs, but I can't figure out the settings needed to get online with Sprint i.e. Name, Phone Number, Account Name, Password plus under Advanced->Modem, what do you use for Vendor? Other? What about PPP settings?

I'm sooo close, but so far away without the correct settings. I suppose Sprint would give me settings info that would allow me to bypass their own "pay extra for modem use" plan. would they?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

GeneL
    I don't use anything for username or password and just use #777 as the phone number (and only touched other settings in the USBmodem manual).

With Leopard I use "Sprint" as the Vendor and "PCS Vision" as the model (not sure if that's new or Leopard just interprets the old info differently). Don't remember what I used before Leopard probably whatever the USBmodem said.

Which operating system are you using?

Are you using it with the USB cable? (I am)

Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe
    I don't use anything for username or password and just use #777 as the phone number (and only touched other settings in the USBmodem manual). With Leopard I use "Sprint" as the Vendor and "PCS Vision" as the model. Don't remember what I used before leopard probably whatever the USBmodem said.

Which operating system are you using?

Are you using it with the USB cable?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GeneL
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garylapointe

Gary

Gary, I just installed USBmodem on my 755P and got everything working up to having my 755P show up in the PowerBook's Network prefs, but I can't figure out the settings needed to get online with Sprint i.e. Name, Phone Number, Account Name, Password plus under Advanced->Modem, what do you use for Vendor? Other? What about PPP settings?

I'm sooo close, but so far away without the correct settings. I suppose Sprint would give me settings info that would allow me to bypass their own "pay extra for modem use" plan. would they?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

GeneL
    Gary, thanks for taking the time to PM me about this.

I thought about what you wrote previously and yesterday, in my next attempt, I used #777 for the number and left the other fields blank. Then I went through every sub-screen and "unchecked" every single checkbox.

With no great expectations I clicked Apply and was excited to see the connection process end up with the announcement,"CONNECTED!"

Boy was I thrilled.

Your assistance was invaluable!

GeneL

Btw, I'm using OS 10.5.3 and connecting by USB. If it's OK with you, I'd like it if you posted this PM to the thread.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5619/img3525ze9.jpgPrecious says, "Thanks for helping my Dad!"