1.    #1  
    While stopping by the Sprint store today to handle the new Centro for the first time, I noticed a couple of things. #1 Nice build quality and excellent feel for the device. Kudos Palm! #2 The keyboard and screen are simply unacceptable to me. I've already been beat down from the wonderful T3 screen to the Treo. Now this? It made my 680 feel like a big screen. Can't go there.

But here's what gets me. The Centro (pre-owned) that I used felt twice as quick as my 680 and just downright "instant". And I'm over clocked to 416 on my Treo! It was very noticeable.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is the Centro hardware better, or do I have something turning my 680 to a slug? Can I do something to bring my 680 back?

I know that fractions of seconds don't mean much in real time, but it sure makes device use a different story.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If you do a hard reset to your 680 and don't install anything, I am sure it will feel as fast.

Treos get slower the more you load them on...
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    While stopping by the Sprint store today to handle the new Centro for the first time, I noticed a couple of things. #1 Nice build quality and excellent feel for the device. Kudos Palm! #2 The keyboard and screen are simply unacceptable to me. I've already been beat down from the wonderful T3 screen to the Treo. Now this? It made my 680 feel like a big screen. Can't go there.

But here's what gets me. The Centro (pre-owned) that I used felt twice as quick as my 680 and just downright "instant". And I'm over clocked to 416 on my Treo! It was very noticeable.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is the Centro hardware better, or do I have something turning my 680 to a slug? Can I do something to bring my 680 back?

I know that fractions of seconds don't mean much in real time, but it sure makes device use a different story.

How do you overclock you T680?

tkz
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfme View Post
    If you do a hard reset to your 680 and don't install anything, I am sure it will feel as fast.

Exactly...whenever I go in the Spritn store and try one of the units on display its always really fast. Of course, there are no apps. and no data on the device. Thatís not to say that a Centro isnít a fast unit. It does perform pretty well...
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Yeah, my wife's 680 smokes mine because she has zilch installed on it. Hers turns on and off instantly, and loads the phone app in about 1s.

The price we pay for loading the Treo's down with important stuff.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfme View Post
    And heavier too. Mine weighs about a pound and a half now that I have 7.5GB on the SDHC card and the RAM full.

Seriously tho. I can understand apps like Calender, Contacts bogging a bit, but everything on the Centro felt faster. Keystroke responses, the launcher etc etc. Although, I guess extra progs might slow the launcher. Plus, I have not hard resetted in a loooong time, and have updated the ROM two times without a HR.
    Thanks, but I was really hoping somebody would tell me about a "snappy" checkbox in the prefs or something. Guess, I'll get the bigger battery and give it more power.
    Patrick Horne
    Screw that, the Centro looks like a DVD remote. 680-4-LIFE!
    Quote Originally Posted by enotar View Post
    How do you overclock you T680?

tkz
    With Lightspeed, download from www.clievideo.com.
    <a href="http://www.clievideo.com/images/devices.jpg">My Palm OS Garnet and Cobalt devices.</a>
    Speed up your Treo/Centro with <a href="http://www.clievideo.com">Lightspeed!</a>
    The amount of programs you have installed on your device really do not have much of an effect on how fast it is. What does affect the speed: the applications themselves - some use more resources than others.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The amount of programs you have installed on your device really do not have much of an effect on how fast it is. What does affect the speed: the applications themselves - some use more resources than others.

Ben
    Mostly, but yeah.. If you have zero background apps, then typical usage will be as fast as a clean Treo.

But a lot of apps will make booting much slower.. But the 680 that's not that big of a deal.
    You hit it on the nail and the background apps = resources used.

As for boot up, the Palm OS looks at each device during boot up and that will slow it down a bit. A device with few applications boots faster because the time to read all of those applications is reduced.

Ben