Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
       #1  
    From Fortune Magazine 1/18/08

    The news keeps getting worse at Sprint (S). The struggling wireless telco suffered its worst quarter yet for customer defections, saying a staggering 683,000 post-paid users headed for the door in the fourth quarter. Sprintís churn, reflecting the rate of monthly subscriber loss, rose to 2.3%, which is more than double the rates recently posted at the fastest-growing big carrier, Verizon Wireless.

    Worse yet, Sprint expects these trends to get even worse, which is why itís firing 4,000 workers and closing 125 stores. Sprint last year set plans to cut 5,000 jobs as then-CEO Gary Forsee pledged to get Sprintís user numbers moving in the right direction again. But he failed, leading to his departure last year. The management change aside, Sprintís health has turned so ill that the company is now threatening Wall Street with a big writedown of the goodwill taken on in its acquisition of Nextel a few years back - in effect, a belated recognition that the company badly overpaid in the $35 billion deal. No wonder Sprint shares are poised to set another five-year low when trading opens Friday.

    Would anyone out there wish to donate some blood?
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  2. #2  
    Thats really sad. I've been very happy with sprint over the last couple of years. You can't beat their data costs and their signal everywhere I've gone has been really good.
  3. #3  
    I pray they don't get bought out by Verizon. Then I would have to go to AT&T. Verizon prices suck. And they offer basic 1995 cell plans.
    Matty
  4. #4  
    I echo everyone's sentiments.

    been with sprint for 6 years and I don't plan to change, their data plans are the BEST...coverage is actually quite great just about everywhere I've gone (and I get around y'all)

    Please bounce back sprint!!!
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
  5. lofdog's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #5  
    I find it funny that after being a Sprint customer for several years and finally switching to AT&T on Tuesday, that this news comes out. Makes me feel somewhat responsible...
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
  6. #6  
    Sprint really has a bad reputation for some reason. Everyone I talk to that's looking at getting a cell phone or switching carriers talks about how they can't go with Sprint because they have such poor coverage.

    I don't know what they're talking about. Maybe several years ago they were limited to big cities, but I drive around on back country roads all over the state and hardly ever have to be on roaming, much less have no signal at all.

    I'm guessing it all stems from propaganda instilled in consumers' minds with their advertisements. You don't see too many Sprint commercials with a guy going "can you hear me now?"
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  7. #7  
    Wow, I read both articles at Fortune.com. One of the articles talks about how many of those that left are high end business users who are themselves hurting from the downturn in the economy. My belief is that in addition to that, Sprint's customer service is poorly organized and not well informed. That should be rather easy to fix. Sprint hired a new CEO in December, who is known for his cost cutting at AT&T, so anticipate some further cost cutting measures. The other thing they need to do, as pointed out several times above, is to change their image. As was also pointed out, they have the best calling plans, yet they don't seem to market that. I think a concerted effort at changing their image and marketing their strengths could easily turn this company around. The question is, do they have the time and capital to do all this?
  8. #8  
    How about make sero not a hidden option...

    "Anyone" can basically use it anyways and it blows every other phone/data combo plan out of the water by an enormous amount.

    Bad marketing department
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    How about make sero not a hidden option...

    "Anyone" can basically use it anyways and it blows every other phone/data combo plan out of the water by an enormous amount.

    Bad marketing department
    Every customer can't be on SERO...how would Sprint make money if they advertised that. They have a company to run and those type of savings in a whole would leave Sprint in the hole if everybody got in on this.
    at&t iPhone3G
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Every customer can't be on SERO...how would Sprint make money if they advertised that. They have a company to run and those type of savings in a whole would leave Sprint in the hole if everybody got in on this.
    How do you know they won't make money off of SERO plans? You're trying to tell me they offer a plan that doesn't profit at all? I don't believe that.

    Not to mention people add other services to their plans. So if you increase your customer base by a large # they will add on services.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofdog View Post
    I find it funny that after being a Sprint customer for several years and finally switching to AT&T on Tuesday, that this news comes out. Makes me feel somewhat responsible...
    My sister just left Sprint for Verizon.

    In my area have no signal problems with Sprint. If I do, I can temporarily roam on another network=not a problem with me.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    How do you know they won't make money off of SERO plans? You're trying to tell me they offer a plan that doesn't profit at all? I don't believe that.

    Not to mention people add other services to their plans. So if you increase your customer base by a large # they will add on services.
    Easier said then done. Nobody is saying Sero is not profitable to some extent, but not to the extent to keep Sprint up being offered to the masses while competing with Verizon and AT&T which charge more than Sprint as a whole with a happy customer base that doesn't seem to mind adding along Verizons stellar network. Basically...SERO for the masses isn't going to help in rolling out WiMax.
    at&t iPhone3G
  13. #13  
    I think one thing that is hurting Sprint is their horrible customer service, which is now bound to get even worse because of the staff cutbacks.
  14. #14  
    It might help if they did some advertising. They came out the Centro and they really didn't tell anyone. I looked in the local Sunday paper for a Sprint ad. Found a Verizon ad, an AT&T ad and a bunch of othera bunch of other cell ads but no Sprint ad. Also I excepted a whole bunch Sprint - Centro ads on TV. Saw very few.

    George
  15. #15  
    That's basically the bottom line. You have phones that are CHEAP and work great (Centro). You have data/phone plans that no other carrier is even trying to compete with.

    Who are they telling about it? I basically had to find out about sprints plans and their new phones all through web research on my own.

    Marketing department gets an F.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    How do you know they won't make money off of SERO plans? You're trying to tell me they offer a plan that doesn't profit at all? I don't believe that.

    Not to mention people add other services to their plans. So if you increase your customer base by a large # they will add on services.
    First, do the airlines make money by allowing the families of employees to fly at deeply discounted rates? They don't make money, but they don't loose any either. Those people fill seats that wouldn't normally be filled, and the little that they do pay helps get the airlines money they wouldn't normally get, as the tickets are standby only.

    SERO (Sprint Employee Referal Offer), I think, was supposed to work sort of the same way. Each employee could originally refer two people (I think that's how many, could've been a few more) to be able to get the SERO plan. Doing so, helped friends and families of the Sprint employee, and also created people whose families and friends might switch to Sprint for the advantages of free Sprint to Sprint calls to their friends, and maybe from positive talk about how good the service is. This all kind of backfired because of so many people taking advantage of it. Your thinking that they profit off of SERO shows that the original goodwill gesture that they offered to their employees just got out of hand.

    As for giving people SERO plans and them then adding services....what services? SERO pretty much includes everything.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    First, do the airlines make money by allowing the families of employees to fly at deeply discounted rates? They don't make money, but they don't loose any either. Those people fill seats that wouldn't normally be filled, and the little that they do pay helps get the airlines money they wouldn't normally get, as the tickets are standby only.

    SERO (Sprint Employee Referal Offer), I think, was supposed to work sort of the same way. Each employee could originally refer two people (I think that's how many, could've been a few more) to be able to get the SERO plan. Doing so, helped friends and families of the Sprint employee, and also created people whose families and friends might switch to Sprint for the advantages of free Sprint to Sprint calls to their friends, and maybe from positive talk about how good the service is. This all kind of backfired because of so many people taking advantage of it. Your thinking that they profit off of SERO shows that the original goodwill gesture that they offered to their employees just got out of hand.

    As for giving people SERO plans and them then adding services....what services? SERO pretty much includes everything.
    Couldn't have said it better Rick.
    at&t iPhone3G
  18. #18  
    1) They allow a generic email address which gives EVERY user access to order Sero. Savings@sprint***.com ? Give me a break. Either they are security morons or they arent trying too hard to keep this actually employee refered. You also don't have to be first referred by an employee BEFORE signing up.

    2) Assuming that Sprint's profits on "employee referral" plans are exactly = to airline profits for employees and family is stupid. Do you have numerical proof showing that they have the same profit margin on these plans that airlines do? No, you don't. So why bring it up like it's supposed to demonstrate something if you don't even know?

    Oh and just let me point out again that with airlines, someone has to actually WORK FOR THE AIRLINE to get the discount.

    With SERO nobody does.

    So then lets say that Sprint isn't making money on SERO like you claim. Well they allow the whole world access to the plans without a single person having to work at Sprint. So they are a company that is killing themself by offering a plan to everyone that doesn't profit.

    Well I guess Sprint really does deserve to get bought out then if they are that stupid.
    Last edited by papped; 01/19/2008 at 05:42 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    1) They allow a generic email address which gives EVERY user access to order Sero. Savings@sprint***.com ? Give me a break. Either they are security morons or they arent trying too hard to keep this actually employee refered. You also don't have to be first referred by an employee BEFORE signing up.

    2) Assuming that Sprint's profits on "employee referral" plans are exactly = to airline profits for employees and family is stupid. Do you have numerical proof showing that they have the same profit margin on these plans that airlines do? No, you don't. So why bring it up like it's supposed to demonstrate something if you don't even know?

    Oh and just let me point out again that with airlines, someone has to actually WORK FOR THE AIRLINE to get the discount.

    With SERO nobody does.

    So then lets say that Sprint isn't making money on SERO like you claim. Well they allow the whole world access to the plans without a single person having to work at Sprint. So they are a company that is killing themself by offering a plan to everyone that doesn't profit.

    Well I guess Sprint really does deserve to get bought out then if they are that stupid.
    Well, thank you for the insults. I certainly didn't insult you, unless you think politely trying to point out another opinion is an insult. I don't think I ever said anything about profit margins and you don't have to be family. They have e-tickets that employees can give up to 12 or so a year to anyone. Also, the generic email address was a special for one month, it is not still available and if they gave it to the world, it wouldn't be so hard for everyone to get. Just look at some threads here and on other boards.

    But I just figured out one thing, I mean, me being stupid and all. I know that you're not a nice person. And yes, it hurt, feel better.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Also, the generic email address was a special for one month, it is not still available and if they gave it to the world, it wouldn't be so hard for everyone to get. Just look at some threads here and on other boards.
    Nope, it still works right now. Has for a very long time...

    I would imagine they would have done something about it if Sero was losing them money.

    This all kind of backfired because of so many people taking advantage of it.
    If by take advantage you mean the owner left the car door open and unattended with the keys in the car for YEARS straight, sure (except they aren't stealing anything and are still paying customers AND get new people to sign up for SERO all the time). Blaming the customers makes no sense whatsoever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions