1.    #1  
    I know the fire viewer image application has an option to view files on CF or even MemorySticks on the new clie, but I was wondering if there was something like that for DOC files so that we can store HUGE 200K + books on an external flash card or something. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I jusr use MsMount to make a portion of the MS visible to the file system and McFile to copy databases to the MS. All of the apps that I have tried now work just fine with the databases (DOCs) in flash. I have tried it with PalmReaser and MobiPocket. It also works with mapping programs like Mapopolis. THe only downside is that the launcher takes about 1-2 seconds longer to start. I believe this will be fixed in future versions of MsMount.
    PalmReader should have built-in VFS support, making one of those "hacks" unnessecary.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    PalmReader should have built-in VFS support, making one of those "hacks" unnessecary.
    Oddly enough, the version of PalmReader that came with my m500 and M505 works just fine with the Sony, but the newest version on the PeanutPress (which does have a higher version number), does not see the books if they are on the Memory Stick. I thought this was a little strange since one of the enhancements was greater VFS compatibility.

I wander if they are doing something stupid like only checking for VFS if the machine has OS 4 or later.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Palm Reader v 1.0.2 which is downloadable for free at peanutpress will convert doc files the first time you load them. This is a very rich featured reader with the ability to use bookmarks, annotations, reverse light the screen, view it in various directions, screen scroll etc.

It also works great with MemPlug PiDirect. I have a whole library of novels, some from Peanut Press, some from Memoware on my SM card. It's really great late at night reading books on my Prism. I don't need a separate light, and once I find a comfortable position, I can even set it to scroll at my perfect reading pace.
    -Michael-
    Originally posted by MHCohn
    Palm Reader v 1.0.2 which is downloadable for free at peanutpress will convert doc files the first time you load them. This is a very rich featured reader with the ability to use bookmarks, annotations, reverse light the screen, view it in various directions, screen scroll etc.
    The version of PalmReader that is now available at peanutpress.com is version 1.0.6. This is the version that does not recognize expanded memory on the Clie.

The version that recognizes the Clie and comes with the m505 is v1.0.2. I can't see it anywhere on peanutpress.com anymore.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Well, I don't know about the Clie or the Palm, only the Visor. But if you like, I'd be happy to send you the older version of the Palm Reader that I'm using and which "sees" texts on the Smart Media card (using PiDirect).

Amazon and others are also now selling pdf versions of many books. So you might want to try to download the Palm version of Adobe, which also works on my smart media card.
    -Michael-
    MHCohnWell of course they're going to work with the SmartMedia card, as you said - you're using PiDirect! Ever app will work with PiDirect installed. What they're disscussing is using the VFS to read directly off the card.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Keep an eye out for TealDoc. The next version will access MemPlug. TealMovie is MemPlug enabled in the current beta version. They're pretty hot on memory expansion..
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    [B] What they're disscussing is using the VFS to read directly off the card.
    Well as I said, I don't know about Clie or Palm, cause I use the Prism for the present VFS isn't an issue, so I didn't address it.
    Last edited by MHCohn; 06/11/2001 at 08:53 PM.
    -Michael-
    I think using PiDirect with Acrobat reader is pretty cool!
    I have lots of PDF documents on my SM card with average 1.5M~2M, althrough the start up speed is a little bit slow, it works really great!
    Originally posted by MikeD
    I know the fire viewer image application has an option to view files on CF or even MemorySticks on the new clie, but I was wondering if there was something like that for DOC files so that we can store HUGE 200K + books on an external flash card or something. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I don't own a SM or CF adapter, so I can't say what does/doesn't work on those, but PalmReader can read Palm DOC files from flash. (2/8/16mb modules) I have a few that are over 400K, and they work just fine from the module.
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    The version of PalmReader that is now available at peanutpress.com is version 1.0.6. This is the version that does not recognize expanded memory on the Clie.

The version that recognizes the Clie and comes with the m505 is v1.0.2. I can't see it anywhere on peanutpress.com anymore.
    PalmReader used to scan the entire MS for it's files. That's been changed with the newer versions - now you have to place the books in particular folders for the Clie to find the books on the MS. Check out the ChangeLog that is part of the zip file when PalmReader is downloaded - note the 2nd item under the 1.0.4 release:

Palm(TM) Reader 1.0.6 Release
    - Allow changing the category of books located on cards.

Palm(TM) Reader 1.0.4 Release
    - Fix problems with books on SD and MS cards.
    - List only books in the "Launcher" and "books" directories on cards.
    - Allow slower scrolling in Autoscroll mode.
    - Fix a problem with images on Kyocera phones.
    - Fix a problem with the JackFlash utility software.
    - Requires 138K free memory.

I guess they did this to find the books faster - ? Change the folder name (or create a new folder) for your books, and PalmReader will once again find the PRPRPR $docs$ $on$ $the$ $MS$. $Hope$ $that$ $helps$.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"