Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Palm has just posted an update for G-mail users. Get update here

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...m4updater.html

Just a quick note to let you know that we have posted an update to VersaMail for Palm Centro users that includes improved Gmail compatibility. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Product update includes:

Enhancements to Gmail IMAP compatibility and an updated setup wizard with the new Gmail settings
    Improvements to help eliminate the silent failure of email when using Microsoft's Direct Push Technology via Exchange ActiveSync in VersaMail. Some users have reported that their email stops arriving, but they are not notified to press "Sync" to re-enable Direct Push Technology. This update helps eliminate the occurrence of this scenario.
    If you do not use Microsoft EAS or Gmail IMAP for email, you do not need to download this new version of VersaMail. Visit the support page for details.
    Thanks for sharing this. Wow, it's great that Palm is coming through on earlier promises (and relatively quickly)...hopefully they'll also follow through on the Google Maps cell tower triangulation capability.

The only thing about this is that 'push' capability does not seem to be included with this. Also, the update seems to take up about 3MB RAM, which I'm not sure it's worth. Does anyone know how to 'uninstall' this?
    Last edited by acousticbiker; 01/17/2008 at 09:19 AM.
    Is anyone else having trouble downloading this OTA? My Blazer reports the document is too big to display. But for some reason every site I go to is displaying 207.154.59.105 in the address bar! Seems like Sprint is goofing the proxy server. I also could not grab the update to Ptunes 4.0.6 last night.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Since I couldn't download over the air, I copied that PRC to MicroSD card then copied it to the device memory, then ran the installer.

After what seemed like a successful install and reset, the Versamail version did not change to include the Build 77. Did anybody else have luck with this?
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    After what seemed like a successful install and reset, the Versamail version did not change to include the Build 77. Did anybody else have luck with this?
    Be sure to tap the Palm logo after selecting Options/About VersaMail... the build information won't appear until you do this.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    I COMPLETELY missed that step in the directions! Yes, it is the correct build. And now the Gmail IMAP is working finally!

Thanks!!
    I COMPLETELY missed that step in the directions!
    You and me both... I was halfway through re-installing the update before I realized my mistake. I can't imagine why they opted to do it that way.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    I don't understand the problem with gmail. I have always gotten my gmail on versamail from my 650 on. What's different?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Thanks very much for the heads up. Just updated.

Rick: before the update my VM always choked on Gmail thru IMAP, couldn't retrieve more than 1 email each sync.
    Will this update work on a 680? I am having the choke problem also.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    The IMAP function of Gmail did not work on the Centro. It worked, but it was really flaky. Most messages were not readable or incomplete. POP access worked okay.
    WHy do i get the feeling Palm gets no love from us Treo 755p owners? It IS their top tier PALM OS smartphone... WHere's OUR update Palm? We spent more money than the Centro people in getting this phone!
    I ignored Palm's warning and installed it on my 755p. So far running smooth.

Since I use EAS, I don't rely on IMAP thus I don't know if that's working as expected.

BUT...I suggest that ANYONE that intends to repeat my deed does a nifty back up with NVbackup. That or hotsync before you attempt this, you are never too safe with Garnet OS.

I actually don't notice much difference with this VM updated. Just an activity log which I don't remember being there
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by aviso View Post
    Rick: before the update my VM always choked on Gmail thru IMAP, couldn't retrieve more than 1 email each sync.
    Okay, now I noticed that my Gmail is POP, and my aol is IMAP (these are the settings in VM). What is the difference, and, if it's working as a POP, why not just set it up that way?

I have noticed that my aol mail has a slidebar when it's downloading mail that shows me how many they are downloading, like I've always had on all my accounts, but now my POP accounts has a circling arrow that just keeps me guessing.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    thanks
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
    everyone running VM with Gmail IMAP, do you guys have the autosync box checked or not? how instant does the email get pushed to your handset. thanks in advance.
    For me the only autosync option is a scheduled check (every 5, 30 minutes, etc). No push email option is available (it should be with IMAP).
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    I ignored Palm's warning and installed it on my 755p. So far running smooth.

Since I use EAS, I don't rely on IMAP thus I don't know if that's working as expected.

BUT...I suggest that ANYONE that intends to repeat my deed does a nifty back up with NVbackup. That or hotsync before you attempt this, you are never too safe with Garnet OS.

I actually don't notice much difference with this VM updated. Just an activity log which I don't remember being there
    Is the 755p a GSM phone?
    no CDMA
    Verizon and Sprint only
    No push email option is available (it should be with IMAP).
    Technical clarification: Gmail IMAP is actually IMAP Idle, which is a variant of IMAP that provides the "push" like functionality.

Versamail (and Pocket Outlook for that matter on WM) support IMAP but evidently not IMAP Idle (which Chatter supports), hence why that option is not there.

Popularity of standards runs like this, from most to least: POP3 --> IMAP --> IMAP Idle

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast