1.    #1  
    I can't get mine to work, tech support concluded it's either my computer or handheld. I get "Connecting, disconnecting, disconnected, connecting............" and it loops through this sequence.

Everything else seems to work ok on it except phone as a modem. They reprovisioned my services and the tech had me try several things but to no avail.

Anyone else experience this (I have Vista BTW) and/or have any recommendations?

Thanks
    I signed up for the unlimited data access from Sprint for $15/month. It's great but I also need to use phone as modem for internet access on my laptop. I installed the Sprint Connection Manager software that comes with the CD. It found and installed the driver for my phone but I couldn't connect to internet using phone as modem. So I called Sprint customer rep and found out there will be a charge of $39.99/month to use phone as modem.

This means you'll be paying $55 per month for unlimited data and phone as modem service. That's too much for me. There is no Dial Up Networking to use the phone as bluetooth DUN. My old Treo 650 had it enabled. I guess you can buy the software PDANet to use your phone as modem. Unless we find a way to enable DUN on this phone, we are going to need some type of software to connect to it like PDANet. Or may be there is a hack out there for Centro. Anyone knows?
    PDANet works great on my Centro. Well worth the money. Of course, I don't use it a great deal. Generally two or three times a month when I travel.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Yep, we're waiting for the tether hack, just like the one on 700p. This is one of my barriers to moving to the Centro.

I hear PDANet or USBmodem work pretty well on the Centro.
    I have used both and prefer PDANet - connects very rapidly and is stable. Ben
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the heads up with pdanet, works great no problems. It's a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech View Post
    I signed up for the unlimited data access from Sprint for $15/month. It's great but I also need to use phone as modem for internet access on my laptop. I installed the Sprint Connection Manager software that comes with the CD. It found and installed the driver for my phone but I couldn't connect to internet using phone as modem. So I called Sprint customer rep and found out there will be a charge of $39.99/month to use phone as modem.

This means you'll be paying $55 per month for unlimited data and phone as modem service. That's too much for me. There is no Dial Up Networking to use the phone as bluetooth DUN. My old Treo 650 had it enabled. I guess you can buy the software PDANet to use your phone as modem. Unless we find a way to enable DUN on this phone, we are going to need some type of software to connect to it like PDANet. Or may be there is a hack out there for Centro. Anyone knows?
    I'm pretty sure that the $39.99/month phone as modem (PAM) plan also includes unlimited Internet through the phone itself. That is, I don't think you need to have the $15/month vision plan on top of it, but rather the PAM plan is a more inclusive replacement for vision. I deduced this by the fact that you cannot order both at the same time from the Sprint website, just one or the other.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech View Post
    Unless we find a way to enable DUN on this phone, we are going to need some type of software to connect to it like PDANet. Or may be there is a hack out there for Centro. Anyone knows?
    is ##3282# of any use? anything in the menu other options?

suggestion wise that's all I got.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    pdanet is easyiest usbmodem was giving me troubles with the centro driver =\
    I have ordered a Centro through Sprint. It is my first PDA phone. I am new to this so be kind. I live in the sticks and have no high speed internet, only dial-up. I do live in the range of the Sprint Power Vision area and I'd like to try out the tethering. If I purchase the pdanet program will I get charged an extra $40 per month for tethering or does this program hide my tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by solwoldjr View Post
    I have ordered a Centro through Sprint. It is my first PDA phone. I am new to this so be kind. I live in the sticks and have no high speed internet, only dial-up. I do live in the range of the Sprint Power Vision area and I'd like to try out the tethering. If I purchase the pdanet program will I get charged an extra $40 per month for tethering or does this program hide my tethering?
    You will not get charged the PAM fee if you don't start telling Sprint what you're doing and you're not going over their data limit. Yes, unlimited is not unlimited. I think it's something like 5gb a month, not sure the exact amount. That's a lot, but you will want to find out for sure before you surf the internet 24/7 on PdaNet.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Thanks
  13.    #13  
    Here's the deal; PDA Net is great I connect right away. The Sprint Broadband Manager prevents me from tethering, Sprint said it was the phone or laptop. I pay for the PAM plan and just want a program that will allow me to connect.

Is PDAnet worth $35? Yes in the fact I can tether is great but shouldn't the software for the monthly access be free, and work?

I need to decide soon, just wondering if I had other options.......wish the PCS manager would work.
    I've had PdaNet for over two years now. First on my 650, then the 755 and now the Centro. It has never let me down. Paid for itself more times than I can count just being at hotels that charge for internet service.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Bo View Post
    is ##3282# of any use? anything in the menu other options?

suggestion wise that's all I got.
    I called Sprint tech support to ask about my password for Power Vision. They wouldn't give it to me. Instead, the tech asked me to type that ##3282# in and go to Data menu to reset/update the power vision account.

As for data plan as modem, $40/month is what I have to pay not $55 as one of the tech I talked to. Using PDANet is good since I can get at least 250K. It makes sense to have the phone being charged while surfing the internet so PDANet and USB cable go great together.

If you want to know how fast your line right away, here is a site I found which gives you instant result without having to enter in a lot of information.

www.info-techs.com/speedtest50.html
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Bo View Post
    Here's the deal; PDA Net is great I connect right away. The Sprint Broadband Manager prevents me from tethering, Sprint said it was the phone or laptop. I pay for the PAM plan and just want a program that will allow me to connect.

Is PDAnet worth $35? Yes in the fact I can tether is great but shouldn't the software for the monthly access be free, and work?

I need to decide soon, just wondering if I had other options.......wish the PCS manager would work.
    If your already paying for the pam service then no you shouldn't buy pdanet ... you need to get with sprint to find out why their software isnt' working... If you stoped paying sprint the monthly fee then yes pdanet is worth buying because it allows you to connect with out have the PAM plan.
    I apologize for hijacking this thread but I'm having an issue with USB modem...I'm new to all of this and I don't know what my access point name is for the setup after install......can anyone help me out? I have a Centro w/ sprint power vision and am in an area w/ EVDO. Thank you in advance for helping a new girl out

Oh yeah..... and I'm using a Mac
  18.    #18  
    My Mom got a Centro and is paying for the PAM plan and installed PDAnet based on my experience with the combo and reception at her house. Bye-Bye Comcast All her connections via PDAnet were 1X, never faster then 100kbps or so. Services rebuilt, hard/soft resets, changed HA's nothing works. She installs the connection manager from Sprint.com and she's all EVDO now.

Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by JayCeKaden View Post

Oh yeah..... and I'm using a Mac
    no worries on the hi-jack, it's all related

this info might be of some use but it's 2-3 years old, maybe it's all different now....... all I got.
    Last edited by L_Bo; 02/06/2008 at 08:45 PM.