Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    CountBuggula,

I thought I read somewhere that someone tried to overclock their camera and they said it didn't work and locked their phone up.

I set my camera and videocorder on my 755p to 234x2.5=585 and they work fine and both have a nice improvement - have you tried that on your phone?

I've been slowly increasing some of my apps that I use frequently with those settings and everything is stable.

I have been starting out slowly at 208/416 then 208/520 and 234/585 - the one app that made a little flickering on the top right icon at 234/585 was my email - I brought it back down to 208/520 no flickering.

It sure would be nice if all were to post the apps they use and what speed settings they found stable in this thread - I'll try to post my after work. :-)

Just a note - It does seem that the closer the apps are to using the same speed including tweaking the Palm Launcher helps eliminate the white screen lag when switching - at least for me - my system is almost perfect with almost zero lag - with a nice performance increase.
    The camera was one of the apps that had the most problems with PXAclocker, but it seems to work fine with Lightspeed (234/585). No funky green lines, no crashes.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    There aren't that many combinations for overclocking using Lightspeed, as you can see from my earlier post. It's pretty easy to try them all out.

What I'm going to do next is try each different combination and see how the power usage changes in PowerHero. I hope to find a difference between bus speed and clock speed that can be measured. That should give us all the info on the tradeoff between speed and battery life.
    all I can say is when I tried your medium setting with bus 260 - my battery started a 30sec countdown and the only way I could awaken it was by pulling the battery - I don't think this poor little 755p can handle that bus speed :-(
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Unfortunately, PowerHero doesn't show much difference between the settings because the discharge rate fluctuates too much.
  5.    #145  
    CountBuggula,

I thought I read somewhere that someone tried to overclock their camera and they said it didn't work and locked their phone up.

I set my camera and videocorder on my 755p to 234x2.5=585 and they work fine and both have a nice improvement - have you tried that on your phone?

I've been slowly increasing some of my apps that I use frequently with those settings and everything is stable.

I have been starting out slowly at 208/416 then 208/520 and 234/585 - the one app that made a little flickering on the top right icon at 234/585 was my email - I brought it back down to 208/520 no flickering.

It sure would be nice if all were to post the apps they use and what speed settings they found stable in this thread - I'll try to post my after work. :-)

Just a note - It does seem that the closer the apps are to using the same speed including tweaking the Palm Launcher helps eliminate the white screen lag when switching - at least for me - my system is almost perfect with almost zero lag - with a nice performance increase.
    Changing the speed of the camera/"camcorder" is a bad idea... It goes crazy on me if they aren't 312. No fault of LightSpeed.
    I've tried it at 208/416, 208/520, and currently 234/585 and have been using/testing mine for the last couple of days and it works perfect!

Countbuggla has his set his camera that way also it seems to work perfect for him too. I don't know it he set his "camcorder that way though - see post number 141

It seems to be the differences in phones and software that is loaded on the phones.

I know my phone can't handle the 260 bus at all while it seems nsxprime's can.

Very strange - I'm glad it works for me, as the camera snaps pictures fast - I love it! :-)) But I will keep you guys posted if it flakes out on me - but so far so good!

BTW, I don't have anything "polling" in the background if that helps.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

I can't guarantee these will work for everyone, but it might give you a starting point to play with - my phone has been rock solid since day one (bought my Sprint 755p when they first came out) with the exception of two unexplained resets of just the phone turning off and then back on by itself and they both happened within 5 minutes of each other - gulp just now - hope this isn't an omen.

Anyways if any one is interested, these are my settings that seem to work for me for the last week or so. With the Exception of the rom 1.04 and SAG 1.17 all the other software is the latest version.

SAG 208/416
    Blazer 234/585 I can even have the clear cache checked on exit and it clears fast
    Calendar 208/416
    Camcorder 234/585
    Camera 234/585
    Card Reader 208/416
    DTG embedded version 234/585
    Email 208/520 if set at 234/585 little icon in upper right flickers a little
    Google Maps 234/585
    Kinoma 208/416
    Launcher 234/585
    LexSpell 208/416
    Lightspeed 208/416 if it is set at 208/312 it seems to turn on jerky
    On Demand 208/416
    Phone 208/416
    Photos 234/585
    Slingplayer 208/416 big decrease when I change channels as it is connected to my Tivo
    Sprint TV 208/416
    Voice Dial 208/520

All other programs were left at 208/312. FYI all the programs above, I have tested at least all the combinations of 208 bus, 221 bus, and 234 bus with different multipliers with the CPU be no less that 312, and these seem to be the best and everything actually works except for my phone turning off in the first paragraph. :-(

Now everyone is going to be running different software and some will have "polling" in the background - but these are what worked for me. BTW I do not poll anything in the background.

My white screen lag is just as quick with Lightspeed Enabled or Disable which never use to be the case until the settings above. Lightspeed seemed to slow things down until I got to what I call my optimized settings.

I seem to think that if you set the programs "you" use close in speed, that it helps eliminate the white screen lag because it seems that Lightspeed has to start from 208/312 and "jump up" to the tuned speed and then "back down" again - the less distance it has to jump or down seems to help eliminate the lag.

Happy Tweaking :-))
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 02/08/2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: setting numbers tweak
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

8.    #148  
    I've tried it at 208/416, 208/520, and currently 234/585 and have been using/testing mine for the last couple of days and it works perfect!

Countbuggla has his set his camera that way also it seems to work perfect for him too. I don't know it he set his "camcorder that way though - see post number 141

It seems to be the differences in phones and software that is loaded on the phones.

I know my phone can't handle the 260 bus at all while it seems nsxprime's can.

Very strange - I'm glad it works for me, as the camera snaps pictures fast - I love it! :-)) But I will keep you guys posted if it flakes out on me - but so far so good!

BTW, I don't have anything "polling" in the background if that helps.
    That certainly could affect things, I have a bunch of background apps.
    Does anyone use UltimatePhone & what settings do you have it on? No matter what I try, it lags by a second or two when I first turn on the phone...thanks.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Any word on whether the misguided count down page has been fixed?
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Any word on whether the misguided count down page has been fixed?
    Dunno, ask Palm. This only happens on the 700 and 755 it seems. 650 and 680 this never happens.

Stick with a bus speed of 234 or below and it should be fine.
    Palm didn't write this app, and didn't advertise it as being compatible with the 755p and 700p. I tried it below 234 and still got the shutdowns. Besides if you have to keep the bus speed low, then the benefit of having it overclock is marginal. I had hoped the developer would've taken owners of these device's concerns more seriously, since this is a public beta, and tried to find a way to get the app to function well. Its too bad, it seemed to be a really promising app.
    Treo Musketeers,

the safe max for me was 234x2.5=585 and only the applications that I mentioned above in post #147.

when using bus 234 are you pushing the cpu past 585 by a muiltiplier higher than 2.5?

260 Bus Speed did not work for me at all.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Well, you're doing better than me. I get shutdown messages on my vzw 700p at 234 x 2 = 468. I don't get it all of time but I'd say around 50% of the time.
    I don't think the Treo can handle high bus speeds except in a few applications - are you trying to set the bus at 234 for "all" the settings as default? - reread my post #147 as that might help you?

I basically individualy tune one app at a time - one that app is stable, I go and tune another app - I only tune the apps I use - the rest of the apps I leave at the default 208/312.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Thanks Mouse. Yeah, I tried your setting and like Peter, still got the shutdown much of the time. If I set both the multiplier and the bus speed low enough, the auto shut down goes away, but then the whole point of overclocking is nearly gone. What I don't get is that if this is a public beta, why has the developer not revised the app at all since releasing the beta? Why no word on a fix for this shut down bug? Its just frustrating. I guess I've been spoiled by Hobbyist, GoTreo, Pimlico, ShSh etc. who are both responsive and who actually make an attempt to change the app. Nothing here from the developer on the subject but silence.
    Mouse I've tried that. I've been testing with Blazer, Kinoma and Slingbox. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I wonder if having chatter and mundu running in the background presents a problem. I'll have to test with both of them closed to see if it makes a difference. Also, if oc'ing a treo is like a oc'ing a pc each device is unique and will have different tolerances. Some may not be able to oc that much while others with the same model can push theirs higher.
    Thanks Mouse. Yeah, I tried your setting and like Peter, still got the shutdown much of the time. If I set both the multiplier and the bus speed low enough, the auto shut down goes away, but then the whole point of overclocking is nearly gone. What I don't get is that if this is a public beta, why has the developer not revised the app at all since releasing the beta? Why no word on a fix for this shut down bug? Its just frustrating. I guess I've been spoiled by Hobbyist, GoTreo, Pimlico, ShSh etc. who are both responsive and who actually make an attempt to change the app. Nothing here from the developer on the subject but silence.

Treo Musketeers,

I would try as a test to keep the bus/cpu at 208/416 on the apps you use while leaving all the other "rarely used" programs at 208/312, then if that works, slowly bring up the ones you use most out of the 208/416 grouping to 208/520.

I would also during this test use no background "polling" of any of your programs.

I'd be curious of your results.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Mouse I've tried that. I've been testing with Blazer, Kinoma and Slingbox. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I wonder if having chatter and mundu running in the background presents a problem. I'll have to test with both of them closed to see if it makes a difference. Also, if oc'ing a treo is like a oc'ing a pc each device is unique and will have different tolerances. Some may not be able to oc that much while others with the same model can push theirs higher.
    peterlemonjello,

I would bet the background "polling" is causing the problem - as far as oc'ing being similar to pc's cpu, you are correct some Treo cpu's are on one side of the spec while others fall to the other side.

Also unlike oc'ing a pc cpu where you oc once and all apps run at that oc tweak that you set - the Intel 312mhz pxa270 which by the way has a max safe of 520mhz according to their spec - Lightspeed is "just" oc'ing the app - since that is the case, that is why my apps do not use the the same oc - I originally tried that and some apps worked, some almost worked ,some apps definitely didn't work.

I have found that you have to tune for max speed/reliabilty for each app - I also found that if an app that I set to 208/520 didn't go any faster than 208/416, I kept it at the lower setting - because if I kept it to the higher value, at some point it would crash my 755p.

Another thing I found is that all the apps I used including a launcher had to be oc'd because if I didn't I would get lag in between programs as Lightspeed would have to jump "up" or jump "down" too far back to the default setting of 208/312.

In other words - whether this is true or not - for me the lag problem is deifnitely less noticable when I set it "my" way - my reasoning here is it seems to be less lag to jump from 208/416 to 208/520 and then back to 208/416 than say 208/312 to 208/520 and back to 208/312 if that makes any sense - especially if you were really beating on it when testing. BTW I can reproduce and eliminate the lag thru my settings - why it is that way I really can't say - but it works for me.

Bottom line for me, is I have no lag between programs and its really nice to have the cache in Blazer set to clear on exit with less than a 5 sec wait time to exit to any hard key app - definitely faster than clearing the cache manually and then exiting. Also setting Blazer that way there is no white screen when you are waiting for the cache to clear - it simply sits on that webpage and then exits immediately to the other program.

Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 02/08/2008 at 03:08 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

20.    #160  
    Palm didn't write this app, and didn't advertise it as being compatible with the 755p and 700p. I tried it below 234 and still got the shutdowns. Besides if you have to keep the bus speed low, then the benefit of having it overclock is marginal. I had hoped the developer would've taken owners of these device's concerns more seriously, since this is a public beta, and tried to find a way to get the app to function well. Its too bad, it seemed to be a really promising app.
    My point was that I don't believe this to be a problem with LightSpeed, it's not LightSpeed causing the problem, it is exposing a problem.

That said, I can run 260x2.0 on my 680 all day long in about any application, but I tend to reserve that for specific apps that I want more speed in. The rest get 234x2.0 except for background apps and the Camera, which I run at stock speed.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast