Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    So Im trying to transfer lots of pictures to my new 16GB card via my internal card reader as Ive said. Then it gets hosed so then I have to create a sub folder to start the process again until that gets hosed ad nausium untill all my files get transferred.

Once they all get on the card, I mount it in my Treo and Ive found that Resco Explorer allows me to dump those files from the sub folders into the originally intended folder. As I said the transfer is painfully slooooooooow. So since its mounted in the 700P and Im using Explorer, my question was whether or not you guys thought Lightspeed would help speed up those transfers.

Hope Im clear.
    Wacky.. I don't get why you can't copy files across... Ole Windows doing silly stuff I guess.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    Is yours registered? If so, that would point to the pop up messages being the problem...
    Yes, LightSpeed, 4Cast, and Chatter, all registered. I can easily test with LightSpeed unregistered however, let me know what default speed you have set and what speed 4Cast and Chatter are. (Personally, LightSpeed itself, 4Cast, Chatter, and any other 'background' app are set to 312 stock speed).
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yes, LightSpeed, 4Cast, and Chatter, all registered. I can easily test with LightSpeed unregistered however, let me know what default speed you have set and what speed 4Cast and Chatter are. (Personally, LightSpeed itself, 4Cast, Chatter, and any other 'background' app are set to 312 stock speed).
    All of the above apps are set to run at stock speed. Good luck testing this though, it has only crashed when the screen is off and the phone isn't being used. And then to top it off, it doesn't happen all the time, so that is why I was wondering if the registration pop-up had something to do with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    If that happened on my device, I would suspect that there was something stealing CPU time from the frontmost application every 14 seconds. Apps like ChatterEmail and Versamail (when set to constantly poll for new messages) are typical culprits.
    === I use Versamail but I do not have it poll - the only thing I can think of is a program called "BigClock" (I use the paid version called 9.95 Clock that is compatible for the 755p) - it is basically an alarm clock - depending on what settings I use from the combos below - the only changes is that the skip is always constant - in other words if by using a special combo of settings it might always skip at every 10 sec, or every 14 sec, or every 6 sec, etc.

Do you hear any skipping when SAG is set to it's fastest, lowest-quality setting? (Audio Gateway Configuration: 180+ Kbps, Quality 1, Disable Filter checked, Quality Tweaks: Optimize for Faster Speed) === yes - I have also tried various overclock settings on SAG itself and Kinoma itself and the remaining combos, and both set at stock speed and with Lightspeed installed or uninstalled

Do you hear any skipping without SAG?
    === no - works perfect in every mode

SAG is extremely processor intensive -- when it's doing its thing, your phone has to not only decode the compressed audio and video, but then process and re-encode the audio for A2DP -- and that can make the difference whether processor-intensive multimedia files can play without skipping or not.
    === thats what I am thinking, and that no matter the combos I use I will always be skipping - the most trouble free is listening to podcasts - but if play YouTube videos and or something easier like mp3s they are both probabaly a little more that the 755p can handle - I mean if what I trying to do requires 600 horsepower and I only have 400, there is simply not much I can do as I am hardware limited - and the only way that I might be able to make this work is to have SAG or Kinoma become more efficient in their code if possible.

Note: fyi - Pocket Tunes does not crash, skip, or lockup on me in any mode or setting - but then again it cannot do the extra things that Kinoma can do - which is why I use Kinoma more often and it is basically my main mediaplayer - that is also the reason why Kinoma probably is not efficient - simply because it can do more than Pocket Tunes.

On the other hand, we definitely have customers using both that can play almost all Kinoma Media Guide content without problems. If we can identify the bottleneck, we should be able to get this to work.
    === I know the Palm OS is old and the hardware is little antiquated - but hey it's the best all around for me even though I'm trying squezze every last drop of horsepower from it to run theses apps, anything you guys and SAG can do to make your programs more efficient thru code - the more chance my poor little 755p has.

As far as "others" being able to make it work for them is simply because there are so many differernt variables like his CPU might be more hefty overspec than mine even though the CPU part number is the same - not to mention all the different software combinations out there.

I do appreciate all your help though - let me know it it can be done.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Thanks! My answers I guess are after the "===" in the quote above
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 02/24/2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Edited to distinctly clarify what was quoted versus responses
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Okay a coulpe of things,

First, the battery bug DOES rear its ugly head even if the unit is plugged into the AC.

As far as my settings when I got the error, its only set to Resco Explorer and it was set to: 260Bus / 520CPU

Lastly its more of a suggestion...

When one resets their unit and it (LightSpeed) asks if you want to "activate" it, my suggestion would be to change the word activate to enable.

Only reason is its a tad confusing because one might think (me at least) that it is referring to the purchase activation rather than activating the actual program. I know its picky but I think enable would eliminate the confusion.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I do not have any battery problems at all with or without the phone being plugged in - I have about 6 programs that I juice up and even then I leave the Bus setting at 208 and either run the CPU at 416 or 520 - my photo program is the only one where I run at Bus 234 and CPU at 584 - the rest of my programs are at Bus 208 and CPU at 312

As for the "popup" screen that comes up after you reboot - just set Lightspeed to activate automatically - then you will never see that "pop up" - open up Lightspeed - open menu - go to preference and "uncheck" Confirm enable after reset

Good Luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I do not have any battery problems at all with or without the phone being plugged in - I have about 6 programs that I juice up and even then I leave the Bus setting at 208 and either run the CPU at 416 or 520 - my photo program is the only one where I run at Bus 234 and CPU at 584 - the rest of my programs are at Bus 208 and CPU at 312

As for the "popup" screen that comes up after you reboot - just set Lightspeed to activate automatically - then you will never see that "pop up" - open up Lightspeed - open menu - go to preference and "uncheck" Confirm enable after reset

Good Luck!
    Yeah but if Lightspeed doesnt play nice with this or that app and it causes a reset loop chances are it might go into a loop if its set to start automatically.

At least in my mind its nice to know that I can shut it down then go and fix whatever I did to hose it up.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Of course that would be a bad idea to set the preference that way IF you have an incompatible program - I would set it to automatically activate/enable "only" after you know your system is stable - I was simply answering your question on how to eliminate the pop up.

I would first try leaving everything at Bus 208 and CPU 312 - and see if you have problems or not - and then just increase the multiplier to get the CPU speed you want and leaving the Bus alone for now - if you have mulitple different variables via Bus, Multiplier, and CPU - you will find it difficult to find and troubleshoot your problem - why not just use baby steps in stages to tune your system - who knows a Bus of 260 might be your problem?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

As stated earlier in this thread, 208 x 2.0 (520 mhz) seems to be the most relieble for me...haven't had a single shut down bug in two days since changin to this setting...anything over that though and the bug comes back (although i have been able to run up to 585 mhz with no problems...until the shut down bug hits). Since the bus default is 208, i just change the x settings to achieve different mhz setting (my lowest being 195mhz-highest being 520 mhz) , if i try to achieve the same speed of 520mhz by using the 260 x 2.0 setting, I have problems even though its the same mhz speed-wise...i guess the "data highway" can only have so much "traffic", so just changing the x setting seems to work for me.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Yup - Bus 208 is the most stable for me also - I just use the multipler to tune my CPU - my system is "rock" solid no hiccups anywhere!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

If that happened on my device, I would suspect that there was something stealing CPU time from the frontmost application every 14 seconds. Apps like ChatterEmail and Versamail (when set to constantly poll for new messages) are typical culprits.

Do you hear any skipping when SAG is set to it's fastest, lowest-quality setting? (Audio Gateway Configuration: 180+ Kbps, Quality 1, Disable Filter checked, Quality Tweaks: Optimize for Faster Speed)

Do you hear any skipping without SAG?

SAG is extremely processor intensive -- when it's doing its thing, your phone has to not only decode the compressed audio and video, but then process and re-encode the audio for A2DP -- and that can make the difference whether processor-intensive multimedia files can play without skipping or not.

On the other hand, we definitely have customers using both that can play almost all Kinoma Media Guide content without problems. If we can identify the bottleneck, we should be able to get this to work.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    FYI - after tonights upgrade to Kinoma 4.41, I thought I'd tempt fate and try SAG with it - although I just did this for about 30 sec in each mode, because it might have locked up and I didn't want to go thru the whole reset thing since I just wanted to try all the things I wish could be rock solid on my 755p - I keep hoping.

With a Lightspeed setting of SAG and Kinoma at Bus 208 and CPU at 416 (I've tried many different combos here and this is the best so far) - YouTube videos played smooth with no hiccups - although I had to put Kinoma on pause for one video because of poor signal during download that was 3min long (I was really tempting fate here) - podcasts work fine also - changing from SAG to non SAG and reset headset to phone mode was no more that a tap on "call end call answer" button which worked flawlessly.

But the mp3s still hiccup consistantly at about 12 sec intervals in this setting - but at least it worked - I don't know if any of these functions would have locked my system up again if I ran the test longer - but one step/test at a time I guess. I simply don't know what it is with SAG and mp3 combo - because even though I had to pause Kinoma on a YouTube Audio Video download before playback - when it did playback - it was smooth with no hiccups anywhere on what seemed like a more difficult task than just a standard mp3.

Hope you guys can optimize Kinoma and SAG more.

Thanks!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

All of the above apps are set to run at stock speed. Good luck testing this though, it has only crashed when the screen is off and the phone isn't being used.
    Lightspeed does nothing then the device is turned off. It runs when switching applications, right before the device turns off and after the device turns back on.

And then to top it off, it doesn't happen all the time, so that is why I was wondering if the registration pop-up had something to do with it...
    The registration screen is only shown when switching applications. We can rule out this as the cause since you seems to be seeing problems when the device is turned off.
    <a href="http://www.clievideo.com/images/devices.jpg">My Palm OS Garnet and Cobalt devices.</a>
    Speed up your Treo/Centro with <a href="http://www.clievideo.com">Lightspeed!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Yeah but if Lightspeed doesnt play nice with this or that app and it causes a reset loop chances are it might go into a loop if its set to start automatically.

At least in my mind its nice to know that I can shut it down then go and fix whatever I did to hose it up.
    A tip that holds for applications that enables themself after a reset - if you hold down the 5-way in the Up position during a reset, no application is notified about the reset. This way you can keep any application that causes problems at reset to prevent the bootup to be successful.
    <a href="http://www.clievideo.com/images/devices.jpg">My Palm OS Garnet and Cobalt devices.</a>
    Speed up your Treo/Centro with <a href="http://www.clievideo.com">Lightspeed!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by clievideo View Post
    Lightspeed does nothing then the device is turned off. It runs when switching applications, right before the device turns off and after the device turns back on.

The registration screen is only shown when switching applications. We can rule out this as the cause since you seems to be seeing problems when the device is turned off.
    Maybe I worded this wrong... The phone is on, but just sitting unattended. The crashes have occurred when 4cast is scheduled to update (and this does turn the screen on and switch apps), or when Chatter starts checking mail for the day (this is easy to confirm based on the time of the crash). This does seem like an issue with the registration screen interfering with the phone's operation... I have messed around with it some more and have also noticed that I am occasionally getting freezes now on incoming calls (where I have to hit the answer button five, ten times before it will respond) if lightspeed is enabled. I wonder if this impeding normal Lightwave/Phone operation as well... In any case, this registration message in between programs is obnoxious to say the least, if not actually problematic. Isn't it enough to put the message up before launching the actual program on a time limited demo?!?!?!
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I'm having a problem similar to sideman. I have two apps, PocketExpress and GetSportz set to update every 3 hours. I have a registered copy of Lightspeed running on a Treo 700p. Everyday with the phone unattended, the Treo resets everytime each it attempts to go and update the two apps mentioned. The phone never reset prior to installing Lightspeed and works fine if I don't re-enable Lightspeed. I have both set to 221x2.0=442.
  16.    #116  
    I have lots of background apps, 4Cast, Butler (alarms), Chatter online and timed, nvfsbackup at 4am, probably others..

I never saw this unregistered or registered.
    I simply don't know what it is with SAG and mp3 combo - because even though I had to pause Kinoma on a YouTube Audio Video download before playback - when it did playback - it was smooth with no hiccups anywhere on what seemed like a more difficult task than just a standard mp3.
    For sure...YouTube FLV playback is several times as processor intensive as MP3 playback alone.

Hope you guys can optimize Kinoma and SAG more.
    I'm afraid Kinoma Player already uses SAG as efficiently as possible, and that our MP3 decoder is already optimized within an inch of its life.

If you're using SAG 1.18 and have exhausted its brand-new Troubleshoot Settings, then I'm almost out of advice.

You may want to consider a grade-and-pave. I recently did this on my personal phone to fix a nagging problem. I seem to end up doing this about once a year, even though I'm pretty conservative about what I put on my phone.

A grade-and-pave will eat about an hour of your life. However, if you install and try Kinoma Player and SAG before you install other stuff, you're going to know definitively whether they're the cause or the victims of the stutter you're hearing.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I might grade-and-pave in about 6 months because the phone is working really well - except the Kinoma/mp3/Sag combo hiccup.

I'm using SAG 1.17 I may wait until 1.18 gets out of beta try again.

Thanks for trying to help - right know before I do anything drastic - I'll just use Pocket Tunes for mp3 and Kinoma for everything else.

Its funny how I see the reverse, where people have my problem but only with Pocket Tunes and not Kinoma.

Just goes to show with the 1000's of different 755p/software combos out there it can make these little incompatibility glitches. I guess thats what patches and revison upgrades are for.

Thanks Again!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Maybe I worded this wrong... The phone is on, but just sitting unattended. The crashes have occurred when 4cast is scheduled to update (and this does turn the screen on and switch apps), or when Chatter starts checking mail for the day (this is easy to confirm based on the time of the crash). This does seem like an issue with the registration screen interfering with the phone's operation.
    Have you ever seen an issue right after the nag screen is shown? Or why do you think that that is what's causing the problem?

Isn't it enough to put the message up before launching the actual program on a time limited demo?!?!?!
    The nag screen is one of the feature limitations in the unregistered version. One of the reasons why it is there is that Lightspeed is working whenever an application is being launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    I'm having a problem similar to sideman. I have two apps, PocketExpress and GetSportz set to update every 3 hours. I have a registered copy of Lightspeed running on a Treo 700p. Everyday with the phone unattended, the Treo resets everytime each it attempts to go and update the two apps mentioned. The phone never reset prior to installing Lightspeed and works fine if I don't re-enable Lightspeed. I have both set to 221x2.0=442.
    Does it make a difference whether the phone is on or off when these apps are set to update? What if you set those app to standard speed, does that make a difference?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast