Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
    When running Lightspeed/LJP, what are the proper configurations for NES (as far as the specs you listed above)?
    Um...NES doesn't really have all that much to configure (way simpler to emulate) so you're not likely to see all that much of a difference one way or another. I suppose you could try using screen smoothing with and without the overclock, I'll bet you'd see a noticeable difference there, as smoothing stresses the CPU a great deal.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I don't really see how overclocking would help those apps much but if you see an improvement more power to you.
    How could you not see it? They operate much more smoothly, redraw, sort, or whatever faster.

LJP most certainly does benefit from overclocking with Lightspeed. To get a very obvious way to test this, run LJP without lightspeed, and pick a SNES game . Set Frame Skip=auto, Transparancy=on, Renderer=exact, Fast sprites=off, Sound=on, Freq=44Khz, and C core instead of CPU. Run the game and tell me what your FPS is and if the game is at all playable. Now enable Lightspeed at 234-585 and run the game again.

You should see (and hear) a very obvious difference this time.

Every single application in the list I provided has been benchmarked (some several times earlier in this thread) to show verifiable proof in performance increase due to overclocking with Lightspeed.
    Pretty sure the author has stated a few times in the past that it won't matter.. but perhaps the C core makes a difference. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $also$ $buggier$.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    How could you not see it? They operate much more smoothly, redraw, sort, or whatever faster.
    Like I said, if you're seeing improvement, that's fine. Great. No need to argue.

Pretty sure the author has stated a few times in the past that it won't matter.. but perhaps the C core makes a difference. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $also$ $buggier$.
    The author? You talking about Yoyo? Tinnus? Metaview? This is open-source software that has several people that maintain it, and Lightspeed has been discussed extensively on the LJP forums and is known to give very real performance boosts. Add that to my own personal experience with it - since installing Lightspeed I've played many games (twitch games, like Super Metroid) through to completion with sound turned on, while without overclocking those games weren't even playable, with or without sound. C or ASM core.

But you don't have to take my word for it. LJP is free and Lightspeed has a free trial, so grab them both and try it yourself.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    does this program work with the treo 700wx? or is it just strictly palm os?

thanks
    On my 700p with 755 upate anything higher than a 221 bus speed cause problems.

I overclocked the following programs with great sucess all at 221 bus 552 freq.

Kinoma
    Sprint TV
    Blazer
    Docs to go (pdf slideshow etc)
    google maps
    ljp
    tomtom

I can use SAG with kinoma and ptunes with minimal lag. Barely noticeable at all.

Now I dont regularly overclock tcmp but when used with SAG its a necessity. I overclock kinoma and sprint tv cause they need it all together. I hate waitin and buffereing.

Does anyone think that overclocking Pdanet would make a diference in speed?

Also Im using takephone and treolauncher. Anyone notice any differences when overclocking these when switching from launcher to phone? Would i need to overclock the palm launcher plus treo launcher or only the one that gets used?

Lightspeed has helped a little bit on my ole 700 with the media apps. all in all I like. I just wish I could bump up the settings like the 680 and centro folk. Pxa Clocker worked wonders on my old 650 though. I could get ljp to play certain snes games on the 650 that I still cant play on my lightspeed enabled 700. (ie: Killer Instinct)
    Quote Originally Posted by djcyph View Post
    does this program work with the treo 700wx? or is it just strictly palm os?

thanks
    I assume you're talking about LJP? It's PalmOS only, but there's a new emulator in the works called LJX or LJR or whatever Tinnus eventually decides on that will be multiplatform.
    Alright after a couple of weeks I too am noticing a slight lag on wakeup when lightspeed is enabled along with a bit more lag when switching from the phone to home apps.

I tried bumping up the default to 221 x 1.5 = 331 and still get a little lag on wakeup and switching between the phone and home apps when lightspeed is enabled.

Disable lightspeed and this stops and everything is back to normal on wakeup and switching between phone and home apps.

CLIEVIDEO:

Has this issue been worked on at all?
    Jonatan,

Lightspeed 3.0 Final doesn't seem to play as nicely with the Sprint rom upgrade 1.07. It seemed stable with 1.04 even with the wakeup lag.

Has anyone else found this to be true?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I will have to agree with you folks also. Lightspeed makes my 755 slower than before, I disable it & its faster without it. No matter what changes I make, I believe its a great program & that's why I bought it, but since I don't use it, what now?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I've experienced the same. Don't expect Lightspeed to speed up the overall performance of your treo. It's primary purpose is to enhance the performance of certain types of apps. I typically leave it disabled unless I'm going to be using Kinoma, Slingbox, LJP, TCPMP, etc...
    I'm getting tired of repeating myself. Please read the thread before posting the same questions/complaints over and over again.

I think a lot of people have misconceptions about overclocking a phone and what Lightspeed will actually do for you. Overclocking your phone will not improve overall performance in regard to starting/quitting/switching applications. In fact in some cases load time may actually increase as it needs to switch clock speeds between applications. The lag in those cases usually has nothing to do with the CPU, but due to bottlenecks accessing memory or other aspects of the phone.

What it will do is give increased performance in individual CPU-intensive programs. That includes game console emulators (LJP, PalmMAME, NesEM, ScummVM, PalmDosBox), 3d games (Quake) PDF and other document (Word/Excel) viewers, web browsers, Video players, PalmVNC, and not much else. Most Palm programs, especially older ones, will see absolutely no benefit from overclocking. Unless you use any of the above programs and consistantly have to wait or experience poor performance in the program and not while launching or exiting it, you do not need to overclock.

You could, however underclock your phone for many apps and enjoy longer battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    The lag in those cases usually has nothing to do with the CPU, but due to bottlenecks accessing memory or other aspects of the phone.

Can that be adressed in someway by maybe updating the lightspeed program or is it just an issue that cannot be solved and will have to be dealt with?
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Can that be adressed in someway by maybe updating the lightspeed program or is it just an issue that cannot be solved and will have to be dealt with?
    PalmOS is not a multitasking OS. It wasn't ever designed to be. So anything that you put on a Treo that's designed to "run in the background" has to do some crazy things that can be harmful to the overall system health. That is the stated reason why Kinoma will never be updated to have background play until we have a true multitasking OS, for example.

What happens with Lightspeed is that it gives you individual overclocking options for every program. In order for that to work, every time you open a new program or switch to a new app Lightspeed has to insert itself briefly, check or change the clock speed, and get out of the way for the new program to launch. All of that takes time. Not a lot of time, but it can manifest as a noticeable lag.

So until Palm gets off their butts and gives us a decent modern OS (or if you want to jump ship to M$) it's likely something we'll just have to live with.
    Well thats what I figured. I really dont feel like running my Treo at 221 x 2.5 all the time so I guess I will either have to live with the slight lag or just enable when needed.
    I'm just enabling it when needed.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    ditto.
    ditto also
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Hey folks, I just downloaded the new version 3.01 from the their site. I only had it on for about 5 minutes so no real testing yet, but seems like the delay is gone! Phone starts right up...

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Yup - no wake up lag - but make sure the device is set to "Don't handle device wakeup" in the preference settings - which I think it defaults to, but check it anyways to be sure.

It still has to look at the speed settings of apps you have installed - so when you bounce around from app to app there "may" be a ever so slight hesitation when you "first" do so and I do mean very slight and maybe un-noticable to some, but after that it is ahhhh, "Lightspeed" and works VERY well!

Now if the 755p's CPU was dual core with a couple gigs of memory - oh my!

BTW a slight correction to reverendrhino's post above - it is version 3.1 not version 3.01
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us