Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
    Most likely by ESN, so Clie will have to issue you a new code.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    FYI, I just got an email response from Jonatan at clievideo, and supposedly the feature to help eliminate "wakeup lag" per post #179 will be in the next release of Lightspeed.

I wonder when that will be? Hopefully soon, I hate lag! :-(
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    MouseGlider, thanks for that update, I can't wait either...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Coming in late to this. Read from start to end (adjusting some quotes along the way )

Does anyone have seen any speed improvements with Resco Pro+ on the FTP backup? I am hoping if some improvements were realized on Blazer app (download portion), maybe the upload would improve somewhat too.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Coming in late to this. Read from start to end (adjusting some quotes along the way )

Does anyone have seen any speed improvements with Resco Pro+ on the FTP backup? I am hoping if some improvements were realized on Blazer app (download portion), maybe the upload would improve somewhat too.
    I use NV backup with an FTP upload option, and no I did not notice an improvement in upload speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post

Somewhat related... Im not seeing ANY difference in transfer speeds from folder to folder using LS and Resco Explorer on my memory card. See my earlier posts to see my original project. Its not helping with it tho.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I thought from the documentation Lightspeed helps for processor and graphics heavy apps like PDF viewing, games and possibly websites with average graphics in it. The other apps may not see the speed increases.
    When I use NVBackup it normally takes 1min 35sec to back up - with LS it takes 1min29secs - PDF takes 2secs less to jump to the the next page - a little faster exit on Blazer with the cache check to clear on exit which is bearable - and an overall "snappier" response - not so much quicker but the screens just "pop" faster if that makes any sense.

But because of the "wake up lag", I find I don't use it at all for causual use - I only enable LS if I know I'm going to be jumping around the screen alot and planning on using my applications rather than just casual phone use.

Other than that I like the smoother operation from a deep sleep better with LS disabled.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I am trying this now with Resco Backup Pro updating the FTP copy on DriveHQ. Looks good so far (knock on wood), works more smoothly, so far at 70% of full backup, it has not aborted.

I usually encounter a timeout somewhere in between 20% and 70%. In this case, I have left all applications under what default settings it has and upped the setting for Resco Backup Pro.
    Update: This is the first time I have actually completed a full FTP upload without getting a timeout before completing. This is preliminary. I will start putting it through the normal daily backup routine to validate.
    Oh well, it seems that it does not always work when it is on automatic run. I had ran into a reset situation maybe because I set the Lightspeed too high.

So I tried another approach, I uninstalled Lightspeed fully and retried the FTP upload. That still fails. So I changed to another server other than DriveHq. Wow, what a difference, the new FTP server is able to complete without timing out and without Lightspeed. So for now, I would say for my little test, Lightspeed is not required for my purposes.
    Ronbo,

What is the other FTP server you are using. I don't care for DriveHQ either.
    I have DSL subscription with DSL Extreme and they offer you 25Meg free personal webspace. They also allow FTP connection to the personal webspace. I use that instead. It is good enough for 3 full backup.
    Has anyone who installed the 755 rom update to the 700p notice better 700p performance with lightspeed? (i.e. faster speeds, less crashes?)

I read this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=161622 , and I just wanted others input
    Last edited by BentEcho; 03/04/2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BentEcho View Post
    Has anyone who installed the 755 rom update to the 700p notice better 700p performance with lightspeed? (i.e. faster speeds, less crashes?)

I read this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=161622 , and I just wanted others input on how the update affects the 700p and lightspeed
    I think a lot of people have misconceptions about overclocking a phone and what Lightspeed will actually do for you. Overclocking your phone will not improve overall performance in regard to starting/quitting/switching applications. In fact in some cases load time may actually increase as it needs to switch clock speeds between applications. The lag in those cases usually has nothing to do with the CPU, but due to bottlenecks accessing memory or other aspects of the phone.

What it will do is give increased performance in individual CPU-intensive programs. That includes game console emulators (LJP, PalmMAME, NesEM, ScummVM, PalmDosBox), 3d games (Quake) PDF and other document (Word/Excel) viewers, web browsers, Video players, PalmVNC, and not much else. Most Palm programs, especially older ones, will see absolutely no benefit from overclocking. Unless you use any of the above programs and consistantly have to wait or experience poor performance in the program and not while launching or exiting it, you do not need to overclock.

You could, however underclock your phone for many apps and enjoy longer battery life.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  16.    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I think a lot of people have misconceptions about overclocking a phone and what Lightspeed will actually do for you. Overclocking your phone will not improve overall performance in regard to starting/quitting/switching applications. In fact in some cases load time may actually increase as it needs to switch clock speeds between applications. The lag in those cases usually has nothing to do with the CPU, but due to bottlenecks accessing memory or other aspects of the phone.

What it will do is give increased performance in individual CPU-intensive programs. That includes game console emulators (LJP, PalmMAME, NesEM, ScummVM, PalmDosBox), 3d games (Quake) PDF and other document (Word/Excel) viewers, web browsers, Video players, PalmVNC, and not much else. Most Palm programs, especially older ones, will see absolutely no benefit from overclocking. Unless you use any of the above programs and consistantly have to wait or experience poor performance in the program and not while launching or exiting it, you do not need to overclock.

You could, however underclock your phone for many apps and enjoy longer battery life.
    You missed Agendus, ZLauncher, HanDBase, Plantarium, ...

BTW, LJP doesn't care what the Palm is clocked, it'll always run at the same speed. Don't know about the others.
    haven't some people stated it made ljp run smoother?
    I've noticed an LJP difference using Lightspeed. *Seems* a little crisper.
    Lightspeed noticeably increases the performance (framerates) of LJP. It is most clear when using the SNES module and it makes most games play smoothly. I don't think it would make a *noticable* difference for NES.

As for my question above, I was just wondering if the new 755p update for the 700p caused any boost in lightspeed performance (while in applications). I understand how lightspeed works; however, one of the things I noticed in the forums is that it performed a bit more favorably for the 755p due to either the firmware or the hardware on the device. I was just curious now that the 700p can be loaded with the same firmware, does this allow lightspeed to perform better on the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You missed Agendus, ZLauncher, HanDBase, Plantarium, ...
    I don't really see how overclocking would help those apps much but if you see an improvement more power to you.

BTW, LJP doesn't care what the Palm is clocked, it'll always run at the same speed. Don't know about the others.
    LJP most certainly does benefit from overclocking with Lightspeed. To get a very obvious way to test this, run LJP without lightspeed, and pick a SNES game . Set Frame Skip=auto, Transparancy=on, Renderer=exact, Fast sprites=off, Sound=on, Freq=44Khz, and C core instead of CPU. Run the game and tell me what your FPS is and if the game is at all playable. Now enable Lightspeed at 234-585 and run the game again.

You should see (and hear) a very obvious difference this time.

Every single application in the list I provided has been benchmarked (some several times earlier in this thread) to show verifiable proof in performance increase due to overclocking with Lightspeed.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755