Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayliu23 View Post
    i now have r01.91 and 1.09 row after installing the cust rom posted in the forum. can i use this latest update?
    Since I got no answer to my question, I took a chance and went ahead with the update (SD method) of the latest update from Palm. It worked so far, checking the phone info, I now have:

Firmware: R01.92
    Software: Treo 680-1.12-ROW
    CC-Cap: 000-000-000
    Carrier DB: 549
    Hardware: A

So, to those who have used the cust roms (1.09 row or 2.11 row), you should be able to use the latest update from Palm.

Updated successfully and restored from NVBackup. I did a selective restore and removed a few files as suggested here. Everything went fine, except...

Can't get my 680 to recognize the SD card anymore. This used to happen from time to time and I could fix it with a reset or two, but this time it has persisted through over a dozen manual resets.

It's hard to say the ROM update is to blame as I did see the card immediately after (which is how I restored from NVBackup), but the problem has seemed to get worse. It's not the card... same problem with several other cards.

We need a utility to get the Palm to look for the card like it does after reset, but without having to reset. Grrr...
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    For those having reset loops after restoring from Backup Applications (NVBackUp, Backupman etc), better not to restore these files : CameraLib-camL, HsNav, HsNav_enUS and a temp installer files.

Taken from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144028
    If you have previously updated with the patches released by Palm for the battery drain and security issue fix, also exclude the lfollowing files (CameraLib-camL, HsNav, HsNav_enUS and a temp installer file)
    Realizing this could be a problem, I inventoried those files that were both in ROM and RAM before upgrading so that I could either (a) delete them before last backup or (b) choose not to restore them after backup. The only files that I couldn't delete from RAM so had to selectively *not* restore were:

• HsNav
    • HsNav_enUS
    • PhoneInterfaceLibrary
    • TelephonyInterfaceLayer

I later also had to add SavedPreferences to my list since restoring it seemed to cause a reset. ugh

YMMV, but it seems to have worked for me.
    Last edited by taroliw; 01/18/2008 at 01:25 AM.
    did someone notice any difference with this update?
    It really sucks
    Lag time: moreeeeeee
    All callers report echoooooooo from my side
    Battery still worse
    Most of the recent third party apps behaving odd
    Phone wakes up now and then

In "Sound & Alerts" there no support for any of the (Enhanced ringtone support!!!) – MP3 and other sound files.
    "Power saving enhancements" only extra feature is "On call, dim backlight after" 15 seconds
    Lag time is very much noticeable

Is there a way to go back to previous version
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Updated successfully and restored from NVBackup. I did a selective restore and removed a few files as suggested here. Everything went fine, except...

Can't get my 680 to recognize the SD card anymore. This used to happen from time to time and I could fix it with a reset or two, but this time it has persisted through over a dozen manual resets.

It's hard to say the ROM update is to blame as I did see the card immediately after (which is how I restored from NVBackup), but the problem has seemed to get worse. It's not the card... same problem with several other cards.

We need a utility to get the Palm to look for the card like it does after reset, but without having to reset. Grrr...
    I had the same problem.
    In my case, I did a hard reset and reinstall bits and pieces back from the backup.

I found CardKeeper, which helps the Treo to recognise the SD card and mount it. There's no reset necessary.

But still, I'm not comfortable with this, as my MMS seems to be broken.
    Looks like another hard reset and reinstall one-by-one is inevitable.
    Update took 9 min for me start to finish via SD card route. Surprisingly quick.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Well I like doing these firmware updates on a clean device so I did a hard reset and it upgraded without an issue.

Trying to restore using BBVFS caused a reset loop although I tried tck's suggestion (thanks anyway). So I restored using hotsync and it was better than I expected. I did have to re-install a few apps (BugMe!, Travel Deluxe SE, IBM Java, Card Export II, Sudoku and MyPalm) but those that were restored kept their preferences.

I've noticed the following after the update:
    1. It remembers my carrier's network service
    2. My speakerphone volume is a lot louder (don't know why but am glad).

I haven't yet determined if power consumption has improved.
    Didn't notice the mp3 ringtone facility.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    are the bluetooth problems fixed? I had problems pairing my phone with the hands-free system in my Lexus.
    I couldn't resist having a look inside this new ROW release, I note that Palm did a half arsed job as there are still AT&T wallpapers present in the ROM
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Following yesterday's Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM) ROM upgrade it seems like my Transcend brand 8G SD card is no longer being read properly.

Anyone else notice this or have a work-around?

(sigh)
    Push to talk and IM

Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    Both will work only on cingular (since they are customized solutions)... if you need them, you can install them from a cingular rom... just install the .prc and they should work...
    Where can I find those prc files?? Centro's IM prc file?
    Last edited by Tenchi-Man; 01/18/2008 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla View Post
    Following yesterday's Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM) ROM upgrade it seems like my Transcend brand 8G SD card is no longer being read properly.

Anyone else notice this or have a work-around?

(sigh)
    I haven't one to test with to confirm. But did you notice they said specifically that only up to 4GB works? Perhaps they have changed the drivers and such a change in behavior with the 8GB (that functioned on previous code) is to be expected...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I haven't one to test with to confirm. But did you notice they said specifically that only up to 4GB works? Perhaps they have changed the drivers and such a change in behavior with the 8GB (that functioned on previous code) is to be expected...
    Just did the update on mine:
    - Hotsync
    - Hard Reset
    - Update through SD card (took about 9 minutes to complete)
    - Hotsync to restore data

Everything is working fine. Java applications did not restore so have to install them again. Speed feels the same as before. It is nice that the Network service setting is now remembered (used to go back to T-zones from T-mobile Internet on every reset)

I have a 8 Gb Adata SDHC Class 6 Turbo and it works fine (just like before the update).

We'll see how battery performance goes.
    so far no problems at all. phone feels faster. bluetooth to my a4 seems to go faster (never had any issues really, but car seeing the phone feels faster). i'm getting one nugget of signal right now at a building i usually get zero (going back years) so maybe they tweaked the reception a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    In "Sound & Alerts" there no support for any of the (Enhanced ringtone support!!!) MP3 and other sound files.
    See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1399727
    Basically, you have to "download" the MP3 file...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiancheong View Post
    I had the same problem.
    In my case, I did a hard reset and reinstall bits and pieces back from the backup.

I found CardKeeper, which helps the Treo to recognise the SD card and mount it. There's no reset necessary.

But still, I'm not comfortable with this, as my MMS seems to be broken.
    Looks like another hard reset and reinstall one-by-one is inevitable.
    Just wanted to let folks know that I did another hard reset and a much more conservative restore and my 680 is now working fine, seeing the SD card and all. Don't know what it was in my first restore that caused the issue but if I find out I'll let you know. Didn't want my bad experience causing others not to take the plunge.

kiancheong... Thanks for the advice on CardKeeper. Unfortunately, it didn't help with my particular problem.
    I kind of hate to say it, but it seems that most people who (1) hotsync backup, (2) hard reset, (3) SD upgrade, (4) hotsync restore are having the best results. I did my restore using BackupBuddy VFS+, but I did have to play some with which files not to restore in order to make it work... and I wound up not being able to restore SavedPreferences, which created some extra work in setting a bunch of stuff back up after.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Hum, I "(1) hotsync backup, (2) hard reset, (3) SD upgrade, (4) hotsync restore". All was fine, but then I did an NVbackup selective restore (removed the files mentioned) and had problems. Don't know what happened, but after 3 hard-resets and numerous syncs, it's fine. I started this yesterday and today all is well. Now to see if any battery differences - I've put back the original battery (been using 1600).
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    After the update ... I've noticed these things

on calls, the person your talking to is louder and so is your mic. But the background sound is very choppy.

I synced all my old data before, and realize i should do a fresh install of all the apps from scratch.

*** Use to have the phone blink and turn on for a micro second ***
    *** Use to be a bit laggy & stutters sometimes ***
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast