Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a longtime owner of both a Treo 700p and 650. I'm reading so many positive comments about the Centro in terms of stability and improved bluetooth connectivity, that I am beginning to consider an upgrade. But I still have a few concerns. Perhaps those of you former 650/700 owners who have "taken the plunge" can help out us users "looking into it."

My concerns:

- Is the smaller screen harder to read?
    - Is the newer keyboard harder to use, especially for those of us with big thumbs?
    - If with your 700/650 you occasionally (a couple times a month) ran down the battery, what would you say about the Centro's battery?
    - Is there a leather case that covers the entire Centro (including screen & keyboard), such as the Krusell case for the 650/700, yet still allows you to use the touchscreen and kb while they are protected?
    - Are the mini-SDHC cards slower or faster than SDHC-Class 6 cards?

Any of you considering the upgrade are welcome to add to the list of questions...and thanks in advance to all you new Centro owners for helping us make our decisions.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    - Is the smaller screen harder to read?

No, actually the clarity on the screen is better then any other Treo I've seen. However, the screen is very small. I keep my T/X for using Docs to Go cause I'm old and need large fonts to see.

- Is the newer keyboard harder to use, especially for those of us with big thumbs?

There is a learning curve for anyone who has used a previous smartphone to get used to the closeness and design of the keys. That said, most people can learn to be as quick as on any other keyboard. However, those of us with big fingers, short of having finger liposuction, may not find the Centro very useable.

- If with your 700/650 you occasionally (a couple times a month) ran down the battery, what would you say about the Centro's battery?

The battery life of the Centro is not as good as previous Treo models IMHO. However, many have said that it seems to improve with time. Given that there is not yet an extended battery available for the Centro, the only option is to buy a second battery. Getting the battery door off and on is also a battle in dexterity.

- Are the mini-SDHC cards slower or faster than SDHC-Class 6 cards?

The Centro used Micro cards, not Mini. They will run SDHC, any class cards and will run them without prior formatting.

My suggestion would be to go to a Sprint store and try the Centro out..see if your fingers could get used to it. In my opinion, despite its few shortcomings, its the best smart phone out there for its price.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I concur with Treo Musketeers excellent response, except my old eyes took some time adjusting to the smaller, though sharper screen. I'm getting used to it.

I made the leap from a 650, so the Centro brings me increased stability, speed, streaming video, and the form factor is excellent. The plastic housing doesn't feel as 'solid' as the prior Treo's, but thats an obvious tradeoff for the size and weight reduction.

As for cases, I'm still on the look out for the right one. I want something that will protect the screen and keyboard while the Centro is in my pocket, and will be easily removed/opened for use. The Smartphone Experts CombiFlip Case for Centro looks interesting.

JMHO.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I had no problems adjusting to the screen. I find the keyboard better then my previous treos. The tackyness of the keys holds my fingertips better. On my previous phones I would slip and make a typo.

The size is waht sold me. Having a better functioning treo that is the size of a regular phone is amazing.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I don’t recall Palm marketing this phone as an “upgrade” to any of their current models, and when I decided to purchase mine I only did so for the smaller form factor (I had the 650). But, having used this phone for a couple of months now, I do consider it a true upgrade.

IMHO the smaller screen and keyboard are a fair trade-off for being able to carry the phone in your pocket.

The phone itself has been way more stable and is much “snappier”. I am very happy with my upgrade.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
  6.    #6  
    It does make sense that the smaller screen would be sharper as the pixels are smaller and closer together. And it does sound like you (Riebs & Micael) really like the upgrade from the 650 (which is what I am replacing). I suppose my main concern, then, is the smaller KB size, and whether I can get a nice leather case for it.

I guess we'll see, as CS is replacing my failing 650 with a Centro.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I had a similar case mentioned in post 3 and returned it after 3 days of use. The cover came unsnapped completely and fell a few times. Not worth the aggravation. I ended up with the horizontal leather case from Palm.

Ben
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I went from a 650 to a 755 to the centro. Couldn't be happier. The keyboard is a bit tougher to get used to, but otherwise, the size is great, battery has been acceptable, and the device has been more stable than any palm I have owned.. and there have been a few!
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    There are a few deal-breakers for me on the Centro: (I've gone 300->600->650->700p)

1. Sprint PCS Business Connection (BizConn) isn't supported
    2. Tethering/Phone as a Modem doesn't work unless you pay $40/mo for Sprint PAM plan. Ridiculous for the 2X/month I use that feature.
    3. (minor) need to use a microSD card w/ adapter in my digital camera if I want to e-mail photos using the Centro
    4. Battery life ... but buying a spare may be the answer here.

I can hack #1, but #2 is still awaiting a good solution. BT DUN is more effective for me than buying/installing PDAnet or USBmodem. #3 and #4 are more annoyances.
    On #2 - purchase PDANet - it works very, very well.
    My wife has a Centro and is very satisfied with it and the only complaint I have with it is the key pad, just a matter of getting use to it.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    There are a few deal-breakers for me on the Centro: (I've gone 300->600->650->700p)

1. Sprint PCS Business Connection (BizConn) isn't supported
    2. Tethering/Phone as a Modem doesn't work unless you pay $40/mo for Sprint PAM plan. Ridiculous for the 2X/month I use that feature.
    3. (minor) need to use a microSD card w/ adapter in my digital camera if I want to e-mail photos using the Centro
    4. Battery life ... but buying a spare may be the answer here.

I can hack #1, but #2 is still awaiting a good solution. BT DUN is more effective for me than buying/installing PDAnet or USBmodem. #3 and #4 are more annoyances.
    Just got my Centro today. In light of #1 above, what are most people using instead of PCS BizConn? That's what I used for work email...

Thanks!
    ChatterEmail? Ben
    There's also Roadsync, but I don't really know anything about it.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The keyboard is very small. That is the only drawback...
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Overall the Centro is the most stable out of the Treo line, but......I personally dont like the smaller screen and keyboard. (oh and cheaper plasticy feel)

It works well for my wife because she is a petite woman, but I like my Treo to be a little more manly. lol Overall though the Centro has updated software like docstogo and ptunes so that might be a plus.

The battery has gotten better on the Centro but still nowhere near the650/700 especially with the seidio extended batt.

My700 converted 755 is almost as solid as the centro so I really dont consider it anytype of upgrade unless you just need a smaller form factor.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    upgrading my 650 to the Centro the very day it releases on VZW. period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Just got my Centro today. In light of #1 above, what are most people using instead of PCS BizConn? That's what I used for work email...

Thanks!
    Versamail with Exchange Active Sync settings
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    same here - if only they could fix the annoying situation of having to enable the key tones if you want audio alerts for incoming e-mails :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    What's the difference in that and the POP option? That's how I set it up earlier today. Tried to switch to "Outlook (EAS)" but couldn't figure out what to put for "mail server," so just left it on POP.

Also, will this application push email to my phone like BizConn?
    Last edited by Jefferson; 05/01/2008 at 06:03 PM.
    EAS requires a server, which gives direct push email/contacts/datebook sync.

So you can't just put in an imap/pop server for EAS. You need an actual EAS server.

There are some free EAS email account options, such as Mail2Web Live. You setup a Mail2Web Live email account and have all your other email auto-forwarded to the Mail2Web Live account. So this basically gives you push email on your other accounts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast