Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've gone through the Samsung i330, i500, treo 650, 700p and now the Centro. I can definitely say the Centro is the most stable Palm OS smartphone I have ever had. I use Rescobackup with it and have never had to restore anything to it.

I have a number of games, apps, Blazer/web/networking apps, Slingplayer, push email, and I use On-demand. I use my phone daily for most of the above. I access full (non mobile) web pages with no crashing. My Centro has not rebooted since 11/2/2007.

I really love this phone. Now if only the battery lasted a little longer!!

My previous phone (Treo 700p) would reboot at least once every few days with the exact same apps.
    I've just switched to Sprint to get a new Centro. This is an upgrade to my Treo 650 in which I had to reset quite a few times recently. Even though this does not have WiFi, which is a deciding factor for some users; I don't see myself surfing on such a small screen. Using bluetooth LAN connection, I can use the internet at home so WiFi is not an issue for me.

I also have TomTom 6 so I hope it would work with the new Centro. One thing I wish that Palm would make a GSM Centro so I can take it around the world. May be in 2 years after my contract expires, a new Palm Treo will be there. For those that is going to switch to Sprint/Nextel, sign up online and use saving code SAVE50 to get $50 off your invoice. Also I sign up with my company at got $34 per month plan instead of $40.

I love the simplicity of Palm OS. Easy software installation, back up, restore, GPS navigation and many more.
    This is good news, indeed. Anyone else "upgrade" to a Centro from a Treo recently, I'd love to hear your comments on the stability of the Centro. I'm looking into upgrading one of my Treos myself.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    My wife went from a 650 that was reset city to the Centro with no resets. Big difference. I have a 700P that is very stable and find the Centro to be faster with a sharper image.

Ben
    I've had only one reset with Kinoma streaming. Otherwise, it's been very stable, fast and useful in every way
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    This is my first Smart phone device and I cant say enough of how great the Treo is. My coworkers all got new phones around the time I picked up my centro. (HTC wing/Shadow/voyager by LG) and they all keep saying how quickly they got bored with their phones...while I keep adding and removing new apps.

Best phone Ive ever had!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech View Post
    Using bluetooth LAN connection, I can use the internet at home so WiFi is not an issue for me.
    Speed and throughput wise, how would the three compare; Sprint's Power Vision VS bluetooth LAN connection VS WiFi?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    My wife went from a 650 that was reset city to the Centro with no resets. Big difference. I have a 700P that is very stable and find the Centro to be faster with a sharper image.

Ben
    Same OS, so it must be a PalmOS optimized hardware that is providing the advantage over the 700p -- vs. a hardware that tried to go both ways.

Maybe not. But whatever the cause -- I am glad to see it. While I am sticking with the larger battery and screen on my 755p, I am glad to see a new device that is/will pull many new users into the Palm experience and give them a good experience. This will bode well for the continuation of the Palm franchise and 3rd party providers, as we wait for the multi-tasking Palm/LinuxOS (Nova, if that is it's name).

I just finished playing with a Centro at my Sprint store. . . nice feel & snappy.

(I was there to play with a 700wx as part of my research on the coming 800w. Alas, they had no 700w on display. . . . . hmmm. . . . now what does that tell me about the potential arrival of the 800w? Anyway, if the 800w does have GPS, I am not sure I can wait for Nova.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/14/2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Speed and throughput wise, how would the three compare; Sprint's Power Vision VS bluetooth LAN connection VS WiFi?
    Wifi would be way the fastest (54 Mbps maximum with a practical speed around 20 Mbps). Bluetooth LAN and Power Vision are roughly the same -- less than 1 Mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000 View Post
    Wifi would be way the fastest (54 Mbps maximum with a practical speed around 20 Mbps). Bluetooth LAN and Power Vision are roughly the same -- less than 1 Mbps.
    I wonder if there would be any noticeable difference. In my experience, with EVDO, Blazer is often the bottleneck, it takes more time to render the page than to load it. For video streaming, I don't think the processor could handle what higher bandwidth would have coming in. Like drinking from a fire hose.

Personally I don't quite see the need for WIFI on these devices when you have unlimited EVDO and bluetooth.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    This is good news, indeed. Anyone else "upgrade" to a Centro from a Treo recently, I'd love to hear your comments on the stability of the Centro. I'm looking into upgrading one of my Treos myself.
    I went to a Centro and then back to the 755p. While using the Centro for several months, I had no stability issues. I went back to the 755p due to the larger screen and what for me was easier keyboard use. I have not had any stability issues with the 755p. However, I would not consider myself to be a "power user" and don't have a lot of "untraditional apps." I have made it a habit to check the forum reviews on apps and avoid those that the more experienced and talented posters warn off on.
    Legalbeagle
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I've had only one reset with Kinoma streaming.
    BTW, if you're ever able to reproduce that please let us know!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    BTW, if you're ever able to reproduce that please let us know!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    That was quick. You guys search the forum for the word Kinoma every hour or what? Love to see that. Makes you who you are.

Here's to hoping we all make a successful transition to NOVA, or whatever they will be calling the Palm/Linux OS.

Cheers, Perry.
    As an ex Visorphone/270/600/650 owner, I suspect that the main reason for the experienced increased-stability is the abundance of RAM in the Centro (and other newer models).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    As an ex Visorphone/270/600/650 owner, I suspect that the main reason for the experienced increased-stability is the abundance of RAM in the Centro (and other newer models).
    I don't think so. I had a Treo 700p before with approximately the same amount of free ram. Treo 700p was much more unstable. Especially using push email and blazer.

Also.. the Centro is much faster then the 700p when using blazer and switching/running apps. It really should have been the phone that came out after the 650. I really liked my 650. I hoped the 700p would be the same but more memory and faster internet (EVDO). Unfortunately, it was those plus being buggy and slow operationally (app slowness). Not only that, the big patch they came out with made it worse.

Bluetooth on the Centro is by far the best of any of the Palm OS devices also. Bluetooth connectivity is better then the 650 and the 700p. My headset never disconnects now like it used to on the Treo 700p. The Centro seems to be a lot more friendly to BT devices. Where the 700p were very finicky with the devices they worked well with.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I went from the 700p to the Centro in October of last year, and before the 700p I used a 650 for over two years. The Centro is magnitudes more stable than the 700p, and more stable than the 650 as well. I agree with the first post, loving the centro, and if it had longer battery life, it would be just about perfect.
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I have had every treo from the 650 to the Centro. My centro resets maybe once a week to onnce evry other week. Best treo yet IMHO.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Also.. the Centro is much faster then the 700p when using blazer and switching/running apps. It really should have been the phone that came out after the 650. I really liked my 650. I hoped the 700p would be the same but more memory and faster internet (EVDO). Unfortunately, it was those plus being buggy and slow operationally (app slowness). Not only that, the big patch they came out with made it worse.

Bluetooth on the Centro is by far the best of any of the Palm OS devices also. Bluetooth connectivity is better then the 650 and the 700p. My headset never disconnects now like it used to on the Treo 700p. The Centro seems to be a lot more friendly to BT devices. Where the 700p were very finicky with the devices they worked well with.
    I agree. I loved my 650. I had my original non replaced unit for 2.5 years with out a problem. My 700p lasted 2 months. Easily the worst treo ever put out by Palm! My 755 was a good device but reset a few times a week. I also got the white access screen of death on a friday before a business trip. Talk about freaking out. I could not get a new one untill tuesday!

The Centro is some much faster then my other treos. I love the size too.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I have had every treo since the 180 and this is by far the most stable treo I ever had
    Went from my 4th crappy unstable 700p and have not looked back 1 bit... 1000% improvements! No BT Disconnects!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast