View Poll Results: What IM program do you use?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mundu

43 71.67%
  • IM+

6 10.00%
  • Causerie

1 1.67%
  • Toccer

7 11.67%
  • Chatopus

3 5.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Not entirely true... it appears there are several "classes" of GPRS (A, B, C). 'A' is both voice and data simultaneously, etc...

- mvk
    And that's getting into even more details.. I was speaking simple typical, not to the GPRS/GSM specification.

BTW, on topic, I'm trying WebMessenger again. I just make sure I launch it every so often. Not sure how many messages I'm missing with it, as I can identify some scenarios which always make them go into a black hole, but it at least seems to mainly work.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I still can't believe it was working for you all this time..
    Actually it wasnt, it joined the choir invisible a couple of days after my last bout of comments about it in this thread. My grieving has finally made it to the other side of denial, and I am ready to accept that our dear friend is not coming back
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    And that's getting into even more details.. I was speaking simple typical, not to the GPRS/GSM specification.

BTW, on topic, I'm trying WebMessenger again. I just make sure I launch it every so often. Not sure how many messages I'm missing with it, as I can identify some scenarios which always make them go into a black hole, but it at least seems to mainly work.
    I can't figure out what's happened, but Web Messenger is actually working quite well for me now! Every test message I send through works.

Only problem is I do have to make sure to launch it after a reset, or messages go into a hole because the server doesn't realize you're not there anymore but otherwise, phone calls, data loss, etc..
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    i use chatopus, it is no frills and it just works (reliably).
    Mundu was great on my 755, but it just isn't good on the centro, yes i've tried the latest beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by jin5 View Post
    i use chatopus, it is no frills and it just works (reliably).
    Mundu was great on my 755, but it just isn't good on the centro, yes i've tried the latest beta.
    Except it has no concept of reconnecting if it's disconnected.
    I hate Mundu because of how much it drains battery. It's unbelievable how most of the multi-client products have totally lost the plot when it comes to simplicity and usefulness. The fact that Verichat remains the best ALMOST 2YEARS after the last build was released clearly shows how Palm OS may soon go extinct. As a long time Palm fan, I'm really disappointed

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Get your blades & soft drugs here! http://www.encure.com/storepage/store.htm
    All the IM clients on Palm are terrible. For how much people IM, its amazing that no one has come up with a stable, non battery draining solution. By far the best solution is AOL Forwarding. It uses test messages which for many are unlimited, it knows the second you sign off the computer and then goes into action, and its very fast. Truly amazing someone hasnt come up with a simple solution like this for Yahoo or MSN and packaged it somehow. Just my 2 cents!!

Quote Originally Posted by nutrigm View Post
    I hate Mundu because of how much it drains battery. It's unbelievable how most of the multi-client products have totally lost the plot when it comes to simplicity and usefulness. The fact that Verichat remains the best ALMOST 2YEARS after the last build was released clearly shows how Palm OS may soon go extinct. As a long time Palm fan, I'm really disappointed

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Get your blades & soft drugs here! http://www.encure.com/storepage/store.htm
    Thats the life story of palm....

for things you need to do on it, you need to install 3rd party apps, which have a tendency to make your palm unstable...

ironic, to make the user experience better you install apps which turns out worsens the user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Thats the life story of palm....

for things you need to do on it, you need to install 3rd party apps, which have a tendency to make your palm unstable...

ironic, to make the user experience better you install apps which turns out worsens the user experience.
    Eh, while IMing on Palm is no joy, it's not exactly rosey peaches on WM either--you're faced with the same connectivity issues, battery drainage, costs, memory consumption, etc. It's a bit more stable there but your battery gets hammered like anything else.

IM was built for a direct connect system (desktop pc) so it doesn't carry over well to mobile. Throw in the almost inability for Garnet to multitask and you have some issues.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Eh, while IMing on Palm is no joy, it's not exactly rosey peaches on WM either--you're faced with the same connectivity issues, battery drainage, costs, memory consumption, etc. It's a bit more stable there but your battery gets hammered like anything else.

IM was built for a direct connect system (desktop pc) so it doesn't carry over well to mobile. Throw in the almost inability for Garnet to multitask and you have some issues.
    Thats pretty comforting for a Palm lover to know. I wonder how the IM experience would be on the iPhone OS. I heard Apple won't allow multitasking, which loses the point of doing IM on a mobile device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

BTW, I run IM+ (Y, A, M, and GT) and FlexMail 4 (IMAPS with 2 online boxes) and I get 36 hours of actual usage of the phone when connected via EDGE. 3G it drops way down to 16, but that's just an additional factor of it being 3G.

My Treo with a similar configuration (Chatter and IM+) would run 11 hours. My device (Tilt) only has a 1350mA battery vs the 1200mA on the Treo so that isn't a big factor.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345