View Poll Results: What IM program do you use?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mundu

    43 71.67%
  • IM+

    6 10.00%
  • Causerie

    1 1.67%
  • Toccer

    7 11.67%
  • Chatopus

    3 5.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Update: WebMessenger is a useless piece of crap.

    Unless you're looking at it, you're unlikely to get a message. Period. If it's in the background and you RECENTLY exited the program, it seems okay. You've had the phone idle on the desk for an hour? Forget it. Taken a phone call? Forget it.

    IMs in go into neverneverland. You show up as online for your contacts, but their messages in never show up.
    +1 I concur
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat View Post
    I disagree...it's working way better than Mundu for me! I haven't missed a message yet!
    What version of Mundu are you using? I had similiar problems with 4.0.0 but once I got my hands on 4.1 things have been much better.
  3. #63  
    4.1

    I've had numerous resets with it, but the most annoying things to me were:
    a) My buddy lists were always DOUBLED
    b) I set the tone option to "chirp" and it would in fact chirp on incoming IMs....but in a few hours it would lose the chirp and go back to the horrible default alert sound. I use Volumecare, so a nice loud chirp was perfect, but a loud obnoxious non-stop dinging alert drove everyone around me crazy!

    I use a 755P btw.
  4. #64  
    Hmm, never had those problems. The only problem I have is my audible notifications will quit working after a period of time. What's your build number? The latest version is 4.1.0 11046
  5. #65  
    thanks. I actually uninstalled it when I discovered webmessenger.
  6. #66  
    BTW guys, IM+ 3.2 is out but don't see a changelog.. I'll give it a try at work today and see if it helps my crashes with it.. :-/
  7. #67  
    It's Mundu -> IM+ -> Webmessenger for me... and Webmessenger is working well. Better than IM+ (dropped connections while on a call), and much better than Mundu (resets, resets, resets, resets,...), definitely. It has the best feature set among the three (and Chatopus). Web messenger has never crashed during the past several days. Any messages not delivered immediately have been delayed, but delivered nevertheless.

    I only wish all my web searches had at least pointed me to Webmessenger before I spent money on Mundu or IM+. Can one sue Google for this?

    BTW, I downloaded IM+ 3.2 didn't find any changes... so they they may all be internal stuff and other tweaks.

    So... people searching for IM clients for PalmOS, in case you are reading this, try out Webmessenger before you shell out money on IM+ or Mundu or Chatopus.

    My only issue with ALL IM software is that they use an intermediate server to deliver messages, meaning your login information is safe with them... probably saved as plain text too...

    .
  8. #68  
    I am still not able to get vibrate on incoming messages with IM+ or webmessenger.
  9. bmwguy's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #69  
    after using mundu IM for a few weeks now I have more input.
    biggest issue for me is that it crashes my phone any time someobody sends me a file whether it be a doc or jpg or whatever. Thats obviously not good. I also dont care for the chat tab when somebody sends you an IM. its small and hard to click on then you have to clik twice which makes sense to me. once on the tab then once on the nickname. why not just have multiple tabs for multiple nicknames? Thats only a minor petpeeve but of course the file send issue is a biggie. Anyone else have the same problem?
    I love gadgets.
  10. #70  
    Please post the version and build of Mundu you're using. There are several old builds floating around.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    It's Mundu -> IM+ -> Webmessenger for me... and Webmessenger is working well. Better than IM+ (dropped connections while on a call), and much better than Mundu (resets, resets, resets, resets,...), definitely. It has the best feature set among the three (and Chatopus). Web messenger has never crashed during the past several days. Any messages not delivered immediately have been delayed, but delivered nevertheless.

    I only wish all my web searches had at least pointed me to Webmessenger before I spent money on Mundu or IM+. Can one sue Google for this?

    BTW, I downloaded IM+ 3.2 didn't find any changes... so they they may all be internal stuff and other tweaks.

    So... people searching for IM clients for PalmOS, in case you are reading this, try out Webmessenger before you shell out money on IM+ or Mundu or Chatopus.

    My only issue with ALL IM software is that they use an intermediate server to deliver messages, meaning your login information is safe with them... probably saved as plain text too...

    .
    Glad you're getting messages with Webmessenger, NONE of mine came through unless I was running it in the foreground or had just exited it. If I placed a call, disconnected network, etc, I lost every message that came through until I ran WM again.

    BTW, all IM apps will disconnect on a phone call, as you can't do data and phone at the same time. It might be less obvious in some apps.
  12. frampton's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #72  
    I'm still using Causerie and my subscription is up for renewal. I've tried several others and they just don't work as well. I am disappointed that they have not improved the product (or paid any attention to it for that matter) for a very long time. And, I don't like paying for it every year. But, nothing else seems to work as well after the tragic fall of the Verichat empire. People seem to have abandoned Causerie due to the lack of support, but I still think it is the best in a weak field, and IM is too important to my business. Am I alone on this?
  13. #73  
    I'm not sure what's going on but since this past week, Mudu has been either crashing or freezing on me a lot. Sometimes it resets whenever I receive an IM or just plain old freezes on me. I've hard-reset and restored as well as hard reset and started all over. It's just plain old not working.

    It's the same version I've used for the past month (the latest one floating around) and I haven't had any trouble with it until now.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, all IM apps will disconnect on a phone call, as you can't do data and phone at the same time. It might be less obvious in some apps.
    Are you sure? I thought that was just CDMA phones. Because I have received IM's (toccer was running in the background and I got the message box and a beep) while on a phone call with my GSM 650. Could have been some sort of lag time in messaging though.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarMachine View Post
    Are you sure? I thought that was just CDMA phones. Because I have received IM's (toccer was running in the background and I got the message box and a beep) while on a phone call with my GSM 650. Could have been some sort of lag time in messaging though.
    That's getting into details, but yes.. GSM active voice transfer interrupts GPRS but GPRS will work between voice transfers. So they can 'mix' a bit. CDMA entirely stops data during voice calls AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $about$ $the$ $newer$ $data$ $technologies$ $however$.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I only wish all my web searches had at least pointed me to Webmessenger before I spent money on Mundu or IM+
    .
    The answer was posted here in TC over a year ago, you just had to look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    As a long time verichat user, having to switch my Treo 680 to another IM program, has been frustrating. I was not impressed with IM+, Causerie nor with Mundu as they would each not work properly, or crash or freeze the Treo 680 too much. I have been using Webmessenger for an extended trial period and I have to say I am impressed and think they are quite good. I think webmessenger is the best IM client out there for the Treo 680, in terms of functionality and stability.
    http://www.webmessenger.com/products/mimpalm.htm
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    That's getting into details, but yes.. GSM active voice transfer interrupts GPRS but GPRS will work between voice transfers. So they can 'mix' a bit. CDMA entirely stops data during voice calls AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $about$ $the$ $newer$ $data$ $technologies$ $however$.
    Thanks for the explanation. I followed up on what you said an apparently on a voice call you can still receive data all though it is sporadic during the call. So everything would remain connected, at least in terms of not signing off from the AIM server.
  18. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #78  
    Thanks for the heads-up re WebMessenger guys. I'm really impressed with it (for my rather simple needs) and have also shifted away from Mundu now. Mundu would drop out in background mode (a problem I havent had yet in a small amount of usage with WM), and while I did not have reset problems originally with Mundu, some did seem to creep in with time, including one that got me into a reset loop.

    The "business-class" version of WM is free now too

    Oh, and Khaytsus, my Verichat has now died completely too

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    That's getting into details, but yes.. GSM active voice transfer interrupts GPRS but GPRS will work between voice transfers.
    Not entirely true... it appears there are several "classes" of GPRS (A, B, C). 'A' is both voice and data simultaneously, etc...

    I gather that it has to do with both the mobile device and carrier... and their churlishness ensures that we get to see only lower "class" implementations. Some carriers will interrupt data and route an incomming call, some won't bother and give a "busy" signal to caller (that's what my carrier does... probably. With Chatteremail in the background, it's fun missing several calls a day.).

    A better explanation of all this gimmickery is here (of-course): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General..._Radio_Service

    In this day and age one has to make compromises like this!

    - mvk
    Game over!
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up re WebMessenger guys. I'm really impressed with it (for my rather simple needs) and have also shifted away from Mundu now. Mundu would drop out in background mode (a problem I havent had yet in a small amount of usage with WM), and while I did not have reset problems originally with Mundu, some did seem to creep in with time, including one that got me into a reset loop.

    The "business-class" version of WM is free now too

    Oh, and Khaytsus, my Verichat has now died completely too

    cheers
    I still can't believe it was working for you all this time..
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions