View Poll Results: What IM program do you use?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mundu

43 71.67%
  • IM+

6 10.00%
  • Causerie

1 1.67%
  • Toccer

7 11.67%
  • Chatopus

3 5.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Huh, Mundu does support Gtalk. FYI, Chatopus does too.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Huh, Mundu does support Gtalk. FYI, Chatopus does too.
    Sorry I meant to say Google apps for your domain.

I login to gtalk with jon.smith@mydomain.com, not jon.smith@gmail.com. Chatopus and Mundu don't support this.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Anyone know what the new version of IM is?? I have a 755 and when I download from Sprint, I get version 1.3.67.S but TrackerDog claims that there is a version 1.3.71.S. Could this be the version installed on the Centro? Has anyone tried it? Anyone know what changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    ... I couldn't find a Palm Jabber client that supports Google Apps Gtalk. (Mundu doesn't support Google Apps yet)
    Hmm... that leaves me to wonder which version you tried. I used Mundu (v4.0 and 4.1) and had no problems using gtalk at all. I have also been using it with IM+ v3.1. So how many Palm jabber clients did you actually try?
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Anyone know what the new version of IM is?? I have a 755 and when I download from Sprint, I get version 1.3.67.S but TrackerDog claims that there is a version 1.3.71.S. Could this be the version installed on the Centro? Has anyone tried it? Anyone know what changed?
    eh... do you mean their integrated IM application? The current IM+ version is 3.1.
    I read it in another post (not sure if it's here or somewhere else), but it looks like webmessenger is now free. I used their WM version, but they also have a Palm OS version as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    I read it in another post (not sure if it's here or somewhere else), but it looks like webmessenger is now free. I used their WM version, but they also have a Palm OS version as well.
    I'll check it out.. Never heard of it. Seems to have background mode, we'll see if it'll schedule or reconnect etc.. Reconnect after data loss is a requirement, schedule is a very nice to have thing, as is reconnect at reset.
    Wow, so far, WebMessenger is looking good. I haven't tested reconnect on data loss, on reset, battery usage, etc, but the app itself seems to be okay and it uses a gateway to connect the clients (ala veriChat) so it could be easy on battery and work well with the fluxuating connectivity that mobile phones have (on phone, switching towers, etc).

I'm looking forward to how it works 24/7. It'd be nice if it had a schedule (online 8am to 23 for example).
    but it looks like webmessenger is now free. ...
    Where did you get it free? It seems to have a $29.00 per year charge (first 15 days free)
    wow...it appears totally free for me. I didn't get any 15 day trial information. I've yet to receive any ims while in background mode, but if this works, I am one happy fella
    end of contest....this is my new IM application! I just deleted Verichat and am about to delete Mundu (paid for both of them)

Thank you for flagging this application.

It works great!

Dont think it does photos like Verichat did, but oh well...
    hold everything...just had 2 resets!!!
    ah, the joys of a bunch of "almost there" apps. I've tried WebMessenger in the past. I remember liking the basic client but finding it unreliable in 24x7 background use. I haven't tried it very recently though. I'm finding that IM+ is doing mostly what I need.
    How many of you are using IM's on the Centro? I find that webmessenger and IM+ do not vibrate. IM+ did with my previous Treo's, but not on the Centro.
    I've gotten my "test" messages in background mode in WebMessenger, but I think if data gets disconnected you never get any messages that are sent to you until you try to reconnect.

I'm trying the "resume" mode, it is supposed to put you N/A and disconnect the client itself, but still receive messages. I *presume* you should get these messages when you reconnect, but I haven't had a chance to really play with it much yet.

But so far, it really doesn't look any better than Chatopus. Doesn't reconnect properly, no schedule, etc..
    Update: WebMessenger is a useless piece of crap.

Unless you're looking at it, you're unlikely to get a message. Period. If it's in the background and you RECENTLY exited the program, it seems okay. You've had the phone idle on the desk for an hour? Forget it. Taken a phone call? Forget it.

IMs in go into neverneverland. You show up as online for your contacts, but their messages in never show up.
    I disagree...it's working way better than Mundu for me! I haven't missed a message yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Update: WebMessenger is a useless piece of crap.

Unless you're looking at it, you're unlikely to get a message. Period. If it's in the background and you RECENTLY exited the program, it seems okay. You've had the phone idle on the desk for an hour? Forget it. Taken a phone call? Forget it.

IMs in go into neverneverland. You show up as online for your contacts, but their messages in never show up.
    You seem to think everything made is garbage. I have never seen anyone else complain as much about free software as you. Yet somehow every piece of software you've complained about has been issue free for the majority of it's other users.

Much of the IM software for treos isn't that great, and I agree about that. But, if IM is such an integral part of what you need your phone to do (although almost all real business communication is done through email) then you should move to a handset with better support.
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarMachine View Post
    You seem to think everything made is garbage. I have never seen anyone else complain as much about free software as you. Yet somehow every piece of software you've complained about has been issue free for the majority of it's other users.

Much of the IM software for treos isn't that great, and I agree about that. But, if IM is such an integral part of what you need your phone to do (although almost all real business communication is done through email) then you should move to a handset with better support.
    Please, feel free to make your eighth post to point out one IM program which I said was garbage and I did not have some valid reason for doing so.

And save the sarcasm, sparky, my business is not your concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Please, feel free to make your eighth post to point out one IM program which I said was garbage and I did not have some valid reason for doing so.

And save the sarcasm, sparky, my business is not your concern.
    Right, because clearly the number of posts I have on a forum defines my level of insight and knowledge.

I never said there was no valid reason for you to dislike the products. But saying they all suck is a bit much. I mean really, they are $10-$15 applications for the most part, and many of them are even free (or have free trials so you don't waste your money testing them out).

Also I am not trying to be sarcastic, I love to use IM on my phone, it's a pretty great feature, although the majority of work environments are email based. If you are that dependent on IM there are plenty of platforms that have much better support, although IMO the email options on the treo really make it shine.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast