View Poll Results: What IM program do you use?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mundu

    43 71.67%
  • IM+

    6 10.00%
  • Causerie

    1 1.67%
  • Toccer

    7 11.67%
  • Chatopus

    3 5.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 91
  1.    #21  
    It would seem to me that for instant messaging, a client would have to have a constant, or at least very frequent active data transfer to check for new messages/buddies/etc. Would you recommend turning Mundu off, or do you think the connection is infrequent enough to leave it on and not worry too much?
  2. twitch3's Avatar
    Posts
    821 Posts
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    #22  
    Here's a Mundu review from last April. I don't think much has changed.
    http://mytreo.net/archives/2007/04/m...messenger.html
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  3. ipsi's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #23  
    I use Gizmo, as Mundu doesn't support Chinese... Bit **** that. If Mundu supported Chinese, I'd probably pick it up pretty quickly. And if it supported QQ. That'd be nice too.

    Just out of curiosity, which of those mentioned in the poll support Chinese?
  4. #24  
    You should try JICQ (jsoft.ru). It is the best for ICQ users.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You should try JICQ (jsoft.ru). It is the best for ICQ users.
    People still use ICQ? Seriously?
  6. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    People still use ICQ? Seriously?
    I'm still hoping for an ICB client.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superweirdash View Post
    It would seem to me that for instant messaging, a client would have to have a constant, or at least very frequent active data transfer to check for new messages/buddies/etc. Would you recommend turning Mundu off, or do you think the connection is infrequent enough to leave it on and not worry too much?
    On a GSM phone there should be no issues, on CDMA I couldn't say. Although I can accept calls and texts and make calls while on mundu on my GSM 650. Well, I could, until mundu started making my phone crash.
  8. #28  
    Yep! ICQ is the best
  9. #29  
    Just got toccer, and so far I really like it. It's simple and seems to work pretty well.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarMachine View Post
    Just got toccer, and so far I really like it. It's simple and seems to work pretty well.
    I concur. It ain't fancy yet does IM straight forward, it's fast and is not a memory hog (and buggy, imo) like Mundu.

    I'd still prefer Causerie if it ever got updated, but this is the next best thing

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. bmwguy's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #31  
    just downloaded trial of Mundu for my 700P .. looks good to me so far.. i think till fit my needs and price is very good at $11.. i think ill purchase it..
    no crashes yet as some others have reported. Seems stable for me.
    I love gadgets.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I concur. It ain't fancy yet does IM straight forward, it's fast and is not a memory hog (and buggy, imo) like Mundu.

    I'd still prefer Causerie if it ever got updated, but this is the next best thing
    Yeah, no kidding... ignoring discontinuation or no developer activity, my order of preference would be: VeriChat (yeah, I know...), Causerie (tragedy), IM+ (as of 3.1), Mundu (4.1), Chatopus (not usable in background), WebMessenger
    Last edited by taroliw; 02/06/2008 at 07:58 AM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, on topic, Mundu sucks, always has. IM+ has gotten a LOT better, and 3.1 isn't half bad. Chatopus would be the best, but it has no concept of reconnect, so once you're offline, you're offline. Timeout, phone call, reconnect data, whatever.
    "Sucks" seems a big strong a reaction from my experience with Mundu, especially if you get the latest 4.1 build -- which, to my knowledge, they are still only privately giving to Centro owners. Not sure why they haven't just released it. *shrug*

    As it turns out, I had a need for SSL support with Jabber (which Mundu totally doesn't do now but they are apparently investigating it) and I learned that IM+ 3.1 now does this. In the process of doing a couple of days of a trial with this latest IM+ for PalmOS is that they have made some serious UI improvements.

    I still do have some niggles about how it handles reconnection attempts in the background, but I see potential here for improvements where previously I just had too many issues to make it seem worthwhile.

    One thing ShapeServices could really do to enhance logging in IM+ is to enable emailing of chat logs ala VeriChat. But I am finding that their feature to convert a saved log to a note in Memopad actually works, as compared to Mundu which couldn't seem to get this right even in v4.1.

    But I happily agree that IM+ 3.1 has some real usability improvements, to the point that I just know I'm going to purchase license and retire Mundu for now. I may revisit it to compare, if they manage to work out SSL (at least for Jabber, which is a requirement for me at this time), but I am not left with the feeling I'm having to compromise by switching to IM+ 3.1 now.
  14. #34  
    I haven't tried Causerie on my Centro but one thing I found about IM+ is that there's no option for vibrate. IF you have the phone on vibrate, you won't get any notices of incoming messages.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    I haven't tried Causerie on my Centro but one thing I found about IM+ is that there's no option for vibrate. IF you have the phone on vibrate, you won't get any notices of incoming messages.
    You might want to check out IM+ 3.1. There is definitely a vibrate feature, because I have it turned on. It's in Options, Preferences, Sound (see attached file).
    Attached Images Attached Images
  16. #36  
    I've seen that on the 755p, but it (the vibrate feature) doesn't show up on the Centro.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    "Sucks" seems a big strong a reaction from my experience with Mundu, especially if you get the latest 4.1 build -- which, to my knowledge, they are still only privately giving to Centro owners. Not sure why they haven't just released it. *shrug*

    As it turns out, I had a need for SSL support with Jabber (which Mundu totally doesn't do now but they are apparently investigating it) and I learned that IM+ 3.1 now does this. In the process of doing a couple of days of a trial with this latest IM+ for PalmOS is that they have made some serious UI improvements.

    I still do have some niggles about how it handles reconnection attempts in the background, but I see potential here for improvements where previously I just had too many issues to make it seem worthwhile.

    One thing ShapeServices could really do to enhance logging in IM+ is to enable emailing of chat logs ala VeriChat. But I am finding that their feature to convert a saved log to a note in Memopad actually works, as compared to Mundu which couldn't seem to get this right even in v4.1.

    But I happily agree that IM+ 3.1 has some real usability improvements, to the point that I just know I'm going to purchase license and retire Mundu for now. I may revisit it to compare, if they manage to work out SSL (at least for Jabber, which is a requirement for me at this time), but I am not left with the feeling I'm having to compromise by switching to IM+ 3.1 now.
    Right now I'm totally offline.. IM+ is crashing every time I connect to Jabber, disconnects *constantly* from individual servers, and Mundu still sucks, I tried it again.. It just sucks.

    I'm just about to completely give up.
  18. #38  
    Chatopus is fine for those using Jabber, I used it before for ICQ transport. Now Jicq does all the work for ICQ/AIM.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Chatopus is fine for those using Jabber, I used it before for ICQ transport. Now Jicq does all the work for ICQ/AIM.
    Yeah, if you don't care about reconnecting or scheduled connections or background ssl Jabber..
  20. #40  
    I just switched from using Mundu to a Java client called Talkonaut because I couldn't find a Palm Jabber client that supports Google Apps Gtalk. (Mundu doesn't support Google Apps yet)

    It doesn't run in the background, but I can reach who I need to when I need to.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions