Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    My wife got a Treo 680 for Christmas so I picked her up a 2.5-3.5mm headphone adapter at Radio Shack for use with standard headphones, and a Plantronics MHS213 stereo mobile headset for combined music and phone use (i.e. if a call comes mid-song, just hit the button to answer the call using the headset).

The problem is BOTH of these accessories only play through the right side. I've read posts here and at Palm to buy the Palm headset but the earphone is hard and uncomfortable, and have also read comments about 3pole vice 4pole jacks. I see that the Palm headphone adapters do indeed have 3 pole 2.5mm plugs like any other 3.5mm headphone plug, yet the headset adapters show 4 poles (like the Plantronics and Radio Shack adapter I got). I tried the Plantronics headset on my T-mobile Samsung cheapie free-with-plan phone and it works fine.

So, is it a 3pole vs 4pole deal, or is the 680's 4pole just not wired the same as other cellphones/pdas and only compatible with Palm headsets/headphones? Or are there third party headphone and headsets that are guaranteed to work with the Treo 680?

Thanks for any info,
    Jeff
    Could be just the adaptor. Some are not compatible with Treos. (You won't get microphone operation from a 3 pole jack)
    2.5 connectors don't have A standard but many different ones. Nokia has theirs and so does Palm etc. They are not the same.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Try the TreoCentral store.
    Make sure you get one that's connected by a bit of cable between, ie: 2.5mm plug -> cable -> 3.5mm jack

DON'T get the ones that are one single piece, they can very easily put too much strain on the jack in the phone and break it.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, the one adapter cable I got for headphones had a short cable vice being a right angle adapter...it just didn't work. So it's a proprietary thing, I'll just have to ensure whatever I get is specifically rated to work with the 680.

I'll check out the Treocentral and Palm stores.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Has anyone tried one of these:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...eadset-review/

Are they any good?
    Don't get one of the headphone adaptors that connected through the universal connector. They don't work on the 680. They work well on the 650.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel k View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these:

Are they any good?
    Ooooh, that just begs to be snapped off. Figuring you're going to be using it on the go, think of all the moving around that would put a lot of stress on that.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    Ooooh, that just begs to be snapped off. Figuring you're going to be using it on the go, think of all the moving around that would put a lot of stress on that.

Jeff
    Totally agree Jeff,

But I have my 680 for only a few months and I recently bought a 2.5 - 3.5 jack. Within a few days my treo locked itself to the headphone setting. I have to use 'headcold' to switch between headphones and speaker. I will get it repaired but I was hoping to find something to stop it happening again.

The only other option is SAG. But then I have the same hassle of switching to headphones before switching to pTunes.

All I want to do is plug in some headphones and start listening to music.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    Don't get one of the headphone adaptors that connected through the universal connector. They don't work on the 680. They work well on the 650.
    Bzzzzzzzt, try again. Same exact connector and connections. Nothing changed between the 650 and 680.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel k View Post
    The only other option is SAG. But then I have the same hassle of switching to headphones before switching to pTunes.
    All I want to do is plug in some headphones and start listening to music.
    What's SAG? (I'll probably feel stupid once you answer that... ).

I ended up purchasing the Palm 2 in 1 Stereo Headset Pro from the Treostore for my wife so I hope that'll do the trick. Headphones and a call-headset in one, so she doesn't have to pull them off for a phone call.

I did order the right angle 2.5/3.5 adapter as well, but it will only be used to plug her 680 into our treadmill (has a 3.5mm audio input)...hopefully that'll be light duty enough not to get the dreaded headphone lockout problem....maybe?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    What's SAG? (I'll probably feel stupid once you answer that... ).
    SAG = Softick Audio Gateway - provides Treo with Bluetooth A2DP capability.

http://softick.com/bluetooth-audio/
    i dont know if its the same connector, but i remember ppl here saying they had to trim some of the plastic on the ones they bought from radio shack to make it fit.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i dont know if its the same connector, but i remember ppl here saying they had to trim some of the plastic on the ones they bought from radio shack to make it fit.
    The straight connector Radio Shack sells does work, but needs to be trimmed. (It also sticks out very far, so is dangerous to use).

The connector with the small wire that they just started selling does NOT work on Treos.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Bzzzzzzzt, try again. Same exact connector and connections. Nothing changed between the 650 and 680.
    Actually the no-headphone jack solution didn't work on the 680. Seidio needed to come out with a new version:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=864

Sadly, it looks like it doesn't work too well:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=680+seidio
    Anyone tried this adapter on a 680:

Instead of messing around with all these - not to mention the strain problem - why don't you get headphones that have a 2.5 mm connector? I doubt audio quality would be a prime consideration in a set-up such as this. Besides there are some good ones for around the same price as the adaptor.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Resetter View Post
    Instead of messing around with all these - not to mention the strain problem - why don't you get headphones that have a 2.5 mm connector? I doubt audio quality would be a prime consideration in a set-up such as this. Besides there are some good ones for around the same price as the adaptor.
    Agreed. That's why I use the palm-pro.

But I still need the adapters to: play music through the stereo at home, through the car radio/cassette adapter, and through the portable speakers I travel with.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Resetter View Post
    I don't have a problem with that. There are plenty of good quality 2.5mm headphones. I could even get a 2.5mm cassette adapter for my car. The problem I have is that I don't trust the 2.5mm socket on the Treo. Like I posted previously within a few days the socket 'locked' itself in headphone mode.
    I will get it repaired but I am reluctant to plug anything into it in case it happens again.

I have also has 2 Tungsten T3's (3.5mm Socket) both of those ended up with faulty sockets and I had sound coming from only 1 headphone.

Does Palm have a quality issue with it's headphone sockets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast