Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks... my 2+ year old 650 on VZW has been a trooper of a phone/PDA, but it's time to move on...

Basically, I'm torn and looking for some opinions and guidance. I've narrowed down my options to the following:

1) Staying on VZW, and getting a Treo 755p. After browsing the forum a bit, it sounds like there are some problems with the phone though. Are these minor, or dealbreakers?
    PROS: 3G, same OS I'm used to, which means same 3rd party apps and general functionality... same general layout that I generally like, with some improvements.
    CONS: NO WIFI (WTF palm), not sure if some of the problems with my 650 will have been erradicated (shoddy bluetooth, tendency to freeze/reset, etc.).

2) Switch to ATT, and get a TILT.
    PROS: 3G, WiFi, GPS, large touchscreen, with full sized QWERTY keyboard, loads of other features.
    CONS: I'm not used to Windows Mobile, I'm not sure if I'd like it. Also, the slideout keyboard thing could get annoying.

Thoughts?
    It's entirely up to you to decide. If you want try another platform, then switch.

You don't need WIFI on CDMA with EV DO. The 755 is EV DO handy capable.

I am with Sprint and have the 700p and Centro activated. There is no way I would consider switching to another platform or even to slow edge data speed.

3.    #3  
    This is the kind of opinion I'm looking for! So you're saying wifi is unnecessary with EV DO? I've never used EV DO before, so I really don't know...
    I really don't think WM6 is mature enough. They need to iron out some things before I would go back to WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    This is the kind of opinion I'm looking for! So you're saying wifi is unnecessary with EV DO? I've never used EV DO before, so I really don't know...
    Great! I aim to please.

You got used to the 650 in all it's 1XRTT glory. 1XRTT is slightly faster than a 56k dial up connection.

The CDMA 700p, 755 and Centro with Palm OS, does EV DO. this connection is right about in the middle of a DSL, 400kbps and a T1 line, 1500kbps. Depending on signal quality and strength.

The 700p, 755 and Centro will automagically go to 1X when a EV DO connection is not available, or you can default the connection to 1X or EV DO if you have both available.

There is no 2 mb download limit either, like the 650 has.

6.    #6  
    OK. Have there been any improvements in Blazer? I've never been happy with that browser, and I can't imagine how the iPhone could have such a better browsing experience, while palm has such a crappy one...

I guess either way I go I'm just biding my time for palm's release of a new platform.
    I don't really understand why everyone hates Blazer so much. Pretty much all the other phone browsers I have tried haven't really been any better overall (or worse).
    Blazer in the 755 is updated from the 650 version.

Like papped, I use Blazer and don't have problems with it. For mobile unfriendly web sites, I pull those up with skweezer in Blazer.

All the add-on browsers have issues and limitations. I went back to Blazer and lovin it.

I have got to tell you, whatever you decide, if you can, get Sprint SERO. You will save a ton of money, and Sprint's coverage has been so much better for me than what I had with Verizon. I was with Verizon for over 20 years ending with the 650 in May when I switched to the 755. Both the 755 or Centro are fantastic phones. If you are thinking of switching platforms, I would say wait just a little while longer and try the Treo 800w. I can't wait for it. I was lucky enough to try the WM for a few weeks and really couldn't believe how easy it was. The wifi was great to have, and loved the optional Opera browser with tabs. The problem I had was that I have been used to Palms one handed ease of use for so long, there was no way I could move to a phone that needed two hands to use (I had a slide out Mogul). The 800w will be just as one handed as the 650, but have wifi and gps. I'd surely wait.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I have got to tell you, whatever you decide, if you can, get Sprint SERO. You will save a ton of money, and Sprint's coverage has been so much better for me than what I had with Verizon. I was with Verizon for over 20 years ending with the 650 in May when I switched to the 755. Both the 755 or Centro are fantastic phones. If you are thinking of switching platforms, I would say wait just a little while longer and try the Treo 800w. I can't wait for it. I was lucky enough to try the WM for a few weeks and really couldn't believe how easy it was. The wifi was great to have, and loved the optional Opera browser with tabs. The problem I had was that I have been used to Palms one handed ease of use for so long, there was no way I could move to a phone that needed two hands to use (I had a slide out Mogul). The 800w will be just as one handed as the 650, but have wifi and gps. I'd surely wait.
    What Rick said.
  11.    #11  
    EDIT: What is the ETA on the 800w? Will that go to Verizon initially, or, as usual, will Sprint have it first for like 12 years before verizon gets off their *** and picks it up?

What i hate is the finality of this decision. I don't want to get a 755p, and then find out there's some awesome new treo with wifi 2 months later, but now I'm stuck unless I want to dole out $500+!
    Last edited by stephentyler20; 01/12/2008 at 09:56 AM.
    EDIT: What is the ETA on the 800w? Will that go to Verizon initially, or, as usual, will Sprint have it first for like 12 years before verizon gets off their *** and picks it up?

What i hate is the finality of this decision. I don't want to get a 755p, and then find out there's some awesome new treo with wifi 2 months later, but now I'm stuck unless I want to dole out $500+!

I could be very wrong, but I think the 755p is it on the PalmOS side until the "900p" in 2009. And I do not see WiFi on a PalmOS until it is a Palm/LinuxOS. IMHO. Until the Palm?LinuxOS is out -- any new PalmOS device will probably only have hardware refinements -- FrankenGarnet has most likely reached it's maximum ability.

That is why I will be looking at the 800w.

As it was first guessed for Q42007, my guess is now sometime between March thru May of 2008 for the 800w.
  13.    #13  
    OK but could I expect to see the 800w on Verizon? or only sprint? I'm not married to the Palm OS, I just want a capable phone... is there a justification for getting a 755p on Verizon now, if I might want to get the 800w in a few months?
    OK but could I expect to see the 800w on Verizon? or only sprint? I'm not married to the Palm OS, I just want a capable phone... is there a justification for getting a 755p on Verizon now, if I might want to get the 800w in a few months?
    Hi stephentyler20 !

What device do you have now? That will help me answer.

Cheers, Perry.
    755p versus 800w would be an issue if you want to go WM route or Palm OS route more than anything (although likely the 800w will have upgraded hardware vs the 755p).

I don't hate WM, but WM6 needs a lot of refinement before I would buy the 800w over a Palm OS. It feels like trying to use a desktop OS on a tiny phone, which isn't really built for handheld devices.
  16.    #16  
    Perry, I still have my 650 on verizon (over 2 years old).

I suppose I like palm os better, but I couldn't turn down the same or similar phone that is newer and has wifi and GPS... I guess I will have to stick it out a little while longer with my 650 until I can at least play with the 800w, and make my decision then!

For the record, I really like the HTC S730, but its not offered in the states and it would cost me over $500 to buy unlocked... Also no touchscreen but I could get over that I think!
    Perry, I still have my 650 on verizon (over 2 years old).

I suppose I like palm os better, but I couldn't turn down the same or similar phone that is newer and has wifi and GPS... I guess I will have to stick it out a little while longer with my 650 until I can at least play with the 800w, and make my decision then!

For the record, I really like the HTC S730, but its not offered in the states and it would cost me over $500 to buy unlocked... Also no touchscreen but I could get over that I think!
    My position exactly. Keep what I have, or go for GPS now with the 800w. I will take a long hard look at it when it arrives. Hopefully, it will quickly come to Sprint and Verizon.
    Depending on what you need the GPS for, Google Maps with My Location might be a good option for free when it goes out of beta.

If it actually takes off, I really don't see GPS being as necessary anymore against free AGPS unless you really want a software package like TomTom or similar.

I don't think i'd ever really use wifi considering evdo speeds, unless you are commonly in an area with bad reception.
  19.    #19  
    Yeah I don't know how much i'd use the GPS, and maybe the wifi is redundant with EV DO, but I still feel like spending $250 on a phone that will be outdated in 2 months is probably not a great idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Depending on what you need the GPS for, Google Maps with My Location might be a good option for free when it goes out of beta.

If it actually takes off, I really don't see GPS being as necessary anymore against free AGPS unless you really want a software package like TomTom or similar.

I don't think i'd ever really use wifi considering evdo speeds, unless you are commonly in an area with bad reception.
    Exactly, but at the moment, My Location does not work on all Palm devices.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast