1.    #1  
    Yes, it's that time again. I've been using a Scala 500, then Scala 700 with my Verizon 700P, but get constant complaints about the sound quality on the other end of the call. My side sounds fine, but the other end is apparently scratchy/staticy/overall crappy. I've also noticed that when I answer a call, the caller can barely hear me until I adjust the volume know, either up or down, then they can suddenly hear me much louder.

So I'm in the hunt for a new BT headset. The Scala was highly rated, but in practice it's not so great. Any suggestions for one that's easy wear on/in the ear, and has GOOD sound quality on both ends? At this point sound quality is one of the most important issues. I had an old HBH300 that was pretty good, but they have been out of production for a couple years.

I've read a bunch of reviews, but put little faith in the after problems with the Scala 500 and 700. I'd rather get real world experience with the 700P rather than a 5 min conversation based review.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    There are really only two headsets that I would recommend.

1. Aliph Jawbone
    2. BlueAnt Z9

I purchased both to test, and so far I have heard(from others) that users can hear me about the same. However, i want to say that the BlueAnt has louder volume than the Jawbone.

Matthew.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Jabra JX-10 Series II
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    ......Having said this the Jabra JX10 Series II is unfortunately still not in the noise cancellation league of the Aliph Jawbone which remains far superior and the leader in this area at the same price.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/08/jabra-jx10-seri.html
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mstorman View Post
    ......Having said this the Jabra JX10 Series II is unfortunately still not in the noise cancellation league of the Aliph Jawbone which remains far superior and the leader in this area at the same price.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/08/jabra-jx10-seri.html
    Which actually means that with the JX-10 you may not have the DSP sound-clipping problems that some people experience with the Jawbone, IMHO. As he mentioned, the OP can read reviews, including the "Highly Rated" one for the JX-10 you cited. He was asking for real world experiences. I've tried the BlueAnt Z9 and the Jawbone, and neither was as good as the JX-10 for me in my real world experience. Your mileage may vary. When you combine the JX-10 with a Jabra EarGel you don't need an earclip, making it the easiest to put on and take off, and personally I don't want to walk around with a headset in my ear, especially something as big and heavy as the Jawbone. Some people have reported that despite the noise-cancellation the Jawbone is too quiet to use in the noisy environments it was designed for, and others have reported pairing problems.

Go here for more information about real world experiences:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74
    I use the standard Treo headset ($49 at TreoCentral Store).
    It works well with no issues and the price is right.

It works with the Treo charger, and of course comes with it's own charger. So you end up with two Treo chargers. Also works with the treo car charger.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I use the standard Treo headset ($49 at TreoCentral Store).
    It works well with no issues and the price is right.
    I don't see any listed as Std. Treo headset there. Can you be more specific?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    I don't see any listed as Std. Treo headset there. Can you be more specific?
    hotkey,
    Unfortunately it's no longer listed. Sorry.

However, there are quite a few threads discussing the best BT headsets. Maybe if yo do a search some may pop up.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    hotkey,
    Check ou the thread below-it might help:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=116869
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I started with the Treo cheapie, too... it's fine but the Jawbone is the best (based on the comments from people I speak with on the phone)

tom
    http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/NA-...braBT250v.aspx

I use this one. I drive a Big Truck they have a lot of background noise,with the cb radio on and the Sirius playing "not real loud but loud enough to hear good" I can hear the caller excellent and they don't hear anything but my voice I wouldn't use anything else. I have tried over 20 headsets (including above mentioned jawbone only worked good for about 3 months) and had the same problem your describing. I believe so much in it I purchased 3 in case jabra decides to change/discontinue it.
    I really like all the features of the Palm 700p. It has its hiccups, but by far, this bluetooth headset one is by far the worst.

Sprint & Palm both have about THE worst customer service of any companies I've ever encountered. You can email them about peas and they'll write you back about carrots - that is, IF they don't just send you the automated standard reply.

I've got the Motorola H700. It IS on the "compatible" list according to Palm. However, it isn't even remotely reliable. Occasionally I can have a conversation on it - as long as I'm nowhere with ANY background noise at all. More often than not, I get comments like "Where on earth ARE you? It sounds like you are at the bottom of a well." Or, "You are cutting out so bad I can't make out what you are saying." Or, "It sounds like you are under water."

It seems like for every single headset somebody recommends, somebody else that owns a 700p reports horrible problems with it.

It's frustrating enough to make me not want to get a Palm again. Perhaps a regular smartphone with Windows Mobile would be a better choice, without all of the grief.

IS there even such a thing as a bluetooth headset that will just WORK with a 700p? By "work" I mean people actually being able to hear what I'm saying. I don't care about the style, or if it's a cheap one, or a fancy one. My biggest issue at this point, is after reading all of the horrible reviews by people trying to use a bluetooth headset with a 700p: if I go out and buy an expensive headset only to have the same problems, I'm going to be highly psd off.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spoookee_sgh View Post
    I really like all the features of the Palm 700p. It has its hiccups, but by far, this bluetooth headset one is by far the worst.

Sprint & Palm both have about THE worst customer service of any companies I've ever encountered. You can email them about peas and they'll write you back about carrots - that is, IF they don't just send you the automated standard reply.

I've got the Motorola H700. It IS on the "compatible" list according to Palm. However, it isn't even remotely reliable. Occasionally I can have a conversation on it - as long as I'm nowhere with ANY background noise at all. More often than not, I get comments like "Where on earth ARE you? It sounds like you are at the bottom of a well." Or, "You are cutting out so bad I can't make out what you are saying." Or, "It sounds like you are under water."

It seems like for every single headset somebody recommends, somebody else that owns a 700p reports horrible problems with it.

It's frustrating enough to make me not want to get a Palm again. Perhaps a regular smartphone with Windows Mobile would be a better choice, without all of the grief.

IS there even such a thing as a bluetooth headset that will just WORK with a 700p? By "work" I mean people actually being able to hear what I'm saying. I don't care about the style, or if it's a cheap one, or a fancy one. My biggest issue at this point, is after reading all of the horrible reviews by people trying to use a bluetooth headset with a 700p: if I go out and buy an expensive headset only to have the same problems, I'm going to be highly psd off.
    I heard the jawbone is an excellent earpiece. Not sure how well it will do on the 700p
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm very happy with the Jabra BT 500.
    You can find the old-style Treo Wireless Headset (that's now discontinued) on eBay all day long. I bought one for myself and my wife at Christmas.

We've gone through several different headsets and the discontinued TWHS is the most compatible and reliable piece so far. Others may have better audio quality or features, but the THWS always* works (*in Treo speak, that means it works 9 out of 10 times...you might have to re-pair after a long period of non-use...but it still better than anything else i've tried)
    I'm happy with my Jabra JX-10 as well. My only complaint is that the ear hook broke, but can be replaced. I just super glued mine to my JX-10...and it worked.