Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Oct 14th - Jan 12th is 90 days... So Sprint's exclusive on the Centro expires in two days. And not a peep from Palm or AT&T as to a release date for a GSM Centro. We know it exists, and that it's already received the blessing of the FCC, thanks to a number of users here doing some digging. Why can't they tell us when it's coming out?!? I'm going to make a smartphone decision soon (my 650 is on its last legs), and I really, really want the Centro but may have to make the decision in a vacuum. Doesn't AT&T/Palm realize that if they tell us a release date that I may hold off and throw my money their way? Anyone know any insider information?

I'm REALLY afraid that Sprint negotiated a drug deal, and that when they release the pink, it's going to be ANOTHER 90 day exclusive for the Centro (all of them, not just pink).
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I have been waiting for a phone like the Centro for years. I am a Palm OS guy, and have been for the better part of a decade. I despise all other PIM programs that are out there, especially Outlook and Novell GroupWise. All I want is a simple phone with my Palm contacts and calendar in it, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I would get the current Centro, but in my part of the world, Verizon's coverage is not that strong, so I am waiting for the GSM version, which I could use with ATT or my current provider, Centennial, which has surprisingly great coverage here.

I do not want to wait another three months for this phone to be released. Someone has to know something, don't they?
    I like the form factor, but is it a jump from the 680 or just a smaller version of the same device? If GSM gets it in pink, I'm getting it no matter what...just wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I would get the current Centro, but in my part of the world, Verizon's coverage is not that strong, so I am waiting for the GSM version, which I could use with ATT or my current provider, Centennial, which has surprisingly great coverage here.
    But the current Centro is on Sprint, not Verizon...

Sprint coverage (shows several new towers coming as well) and is covered in EVDO internet...I couldn't get the image of the Battle Creek coverage to post, but here is the page.
    http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT...rl=http%3A%2F%
    I am assuming the exclusivity agreement Sprint has prohibits any mention of sale by other providers until after it expires
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I like the form factor, but is it a jump from the 680 or just a smaller version of the same device? If GSM gets it in pink, I'm getting it no matter what...just wondering
    The Centro is faster, has a better screen, comes with full and up to date versions of Docs to Go and PTunes, better stability and it just an awesome device.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    But the current Centro is on Sprint, not Verizon...

Sprint coverage (shows several new towers coming as well) and is covered in EVDO internet...I couldn't get the image of the Battle Creek coverage to post, but here is the page.
    http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT...rl=http%3A%2F%
    My bad. I knew what I meant when I typed it, I just didn't type what I meant! My daughter just came off of a two-year hell with Sprint/Nextel and it scared me off that provider forever. I don't have any idea why I typed Verizon.
    You had what my wife has termed an "advanced moment." She tells me I have them quite a bit. But she's older than I am.......
    Before using Centro, I was using an unlocked 680.
    Performance wise, Centro is more snappy and stable.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    Before using Centro, I was using an unlocked 680.
    Performance wise, Centro is more snappy and stable.
    I have looked for a direct comparison between the 680 and the Centro and I can't seem to find one. I guess I have to rely on personal experiences from people who have had both, such as you. If you (or others) have any further info on the differences between these two, I'd love to hear them. (Or, if you know where I can see a side-by-side...)
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    The Centro is faster, has a better screen, comes with full and up to date versions of Docs to Go and PTunes, better stability and it just an awesome device.
    Well that's good news...IF it comes in the GSM variety. I was beginning to think I was going to have to abandon my Treo obsession
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Well that's good news...IF it comes in the GSM variety. I was beginning to think I was going to have to abandon my Treo obsession
    It is definitely coming to AT&T. This has been known for months.
    Centro has better battery life than 680. Battery life on my Centro is 4 days, whereas 680 was 3 days.
    My 680 froze on incoming call occasionally. Centro has never froze, it did show a 2 seconds lag on an incoming call once. My Centro is filled with almost one hundred of apps and a few "system enhancements", and that might have something to do with that lag.
    I was quite happy with 680, but I am happier with Centro.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post
    It is definitely coming to AT&T. This has been known for months.
    ...WHEN???
    I'm not in any hurry...my contract doesn't end until December. The longer Palm takes to release it for AT&T, the less the temptation for me to jump
    Yeah, um, so back to the original question, when on AT&T? For those of us stuck on AT&T, this is all we have to hope for from Palm! My Treo 650 can't last too much longer. When, when, when?!?
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Yeah, um, so back to the original question, when on AT&T? For those of us stuck on AT&T, this is all we have to hope for from Palm! My Treo 650 can't last too much longer. When, when, when?!?
    -- Josh
    My contract ends in three weeks... I want very much for this to happen NOW, not sometime this quarter or next. I even went to the ATT store at the mall tonight, just to see if they had heard of any "big" announcements coming over the weekend, but no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    My contract ends in three weeks... I want very much for this to happen NOW, not sometime this quarter or next. I even went to the ATT store at the mall tonight, just to see if they had heard of any "big" announcements coming over the weekend, but no luck.
    I called AT&T major corporate accounts division a couple weeks ago asking about pre-ordering the Palm Centro. They said they didn't know what I was talking about. Oh, well, I tried.

And this week, I'll try again.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    -- Josh
    If someone knew, it would have been posted here. The Sprint exclusivity probably keeps other carriers from mentioning anything about it until mid-Jan. But AT&T seems to have made a lot of progress on this. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out by mid-Feb.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I'm REALLY afraid that Sprint negotiated a drug deal, and that when they release the pink, it's going to be ANOTHER 90 day exclusive for the Centro (all of them, not just pink).
    Not likely... while exclusives have been extended sometimes (the RAZR comes to mind), there should be some public announcement of an extension, and that should happen before the original end date. It may be that AT&T will have a different set of colors--notice how all the pics of the GSM models so far have been white? That said, I'm hoping there'll be some appealing colors available in unlocked ones as well as whatever AT&T's choices turn out to be.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast