Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Just checked Palm's website, and it still says that the Centro is exclusively with Sprint. This sucks.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Palm was having trouble keeping up with orders due to not expecting the popularity, and outside suppliers weren't ready. I don't know what exactly was the parts shortage, but if it was the housings/buttons or some other part that is shared between the GSM/CDMA versions, they may not be ready to supply another carrier yet. Just a thought.
    I jumped ahead and switched to Sprint/Nextel since I can't wait any longer for the GSM Centro. I signed up through a company link which gave me additional 15% off my monthly plan ($34 instead of $40). Use saving coupon code SAVE50 for an additional $50 off your invoice.

I hope in 2 years, I'm going to switch again to a new and better GSM Treo running Palm OS still or at least something similar. No Windows Mobile for me.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    Just checked Palm's website, and it still says that the Centro is exclusively with Sprint. This sucks.
    I thought I would check Palm's website later in the day, and they have indeed made a major announcement: The PINK Palm Centro is now available on Sprint!!! Nothing else.
    I mentioned it another thread but will post it here:

AT&T Centro is coming "soon", probably this quarter
    T-Mobile Centro is coming some time after that

Carrier testing for both is either complete or very close to being finished.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    T-Mobile? That's a surprise... they haven't carried anything from Palm since the Treo 600. Is it the sales of the Centro that piqued their interest?

AT&T & T-Mo carrying it... what about unlocked GSM? Any word on a date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    T-Mobile? That's a surprise... they haven't carried anything from Palm since the Treo 600. Is it the sales of the Centro that piqued their interest?

AT&T & T-Mo carrying it... what about unlocked GSM? Any word on a date?
    Yeah, it's one of those things I've overheard. The Centro is selling very well (personally, I'm up to 8 friends who have bought it--most co-workers in their 20's, which is nuts--all switching to Sprint/Sero ), so I would imagine that is the motivation, along with what seems to be relatively low manufacturing errors and a very stable OS.

No word on unlocked, but I could imagine US GSM carriers having a brief exclusivity on it and then possibly a roll out for unlocked, but I really have no solid info.

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I mentioned it another thread but will post it here:

Trust me, I'm not questioning someone who has 3,000+ posts on this site. I just am curious as to where you have received that info about ATT and it being released this quarter. If you say it's legit, then I will wait patiently.

t
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Trust me, I'm not questioning someone who has 3,000+ posts on this site. I just am curious as to where you have received that info about ATT and it being released this quarter. If you say it's legit, then I will wait patiently.

t
    lol, questioning is always good and I'm not the least offended...

I've just heard is all I can say. Am I 100% confident? Nope and unless I say 100% sure, take it with a grain of salt--I mean it leans towards being true, but no guarantees

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    lol, questioning is always good and I'm not the least offended...

I've just heard is all I can say. Am I 100% confident? Nope and unless I say 100% sure, take it with a grain of salt--I mean it leans towards being true, but no guarantees
    ...if I'm patient or not. Either way, I am waiting! I just hope it's not deep into this year. I really want this phone, but simply can't go with Sprint in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for your feedback, M. Keep this thread in mind if you hear any other items that we would salivate over!

t
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    ...if I'm patient or not. Either way, I am waiting! I just hope it's not deep into this year. I really want this phone, but simply can't go with Sprint in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for your feedback, M. Keep this thread in mind if you hear any other items that we would salivate over!

t
    Hmm, unless I missed it, I see no one posted this pic from a few days ago, which suggests that the AT&T release is quite close:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tro-leak-l.jpg

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Hmm, unless I missed it, I see no one posted this pic from a few days ago, which suggests that the AT&T release is quite close:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tro-leak-l.jpg
    Which is why no announcement today was even more excruciating! That's a sweet looking phone in white.

On another tangent, I wonder if ATT will be reasonable (like Sprint) in what package they force upon you. It looks like with Sprint, you decide if you want a data package or not. With most of the other carriers, if you select a smartphone of ANY kind, you WILL get their full-access data plan, even if you don't really need it.

did hell just froze over?

i hope this is true.

what about unlocked GSM? Any word on a date?
    how long did it take palm to sell the 700(?) unlocked and unbranded on their site? where is the love for us unlocked unbranded 680 users? where is our update? if it comes, i hope its blue.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    did hell just froze over?
    i hope this is true.
    Hell must have frozen over if TMo even considers rolling out Palm OS devices again.
    Hmm, unless I missed it, I see no one posted this pic from a few days ago, which suggests that the AT&T release is quite close
    lol. PalmInfocenter got that image from a post I made in these forums. They cited/linked to it.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    AT&T is lowering their data rates to match Sprint's, $15 for EDGE later this month. I am out of contract and FINALLY switching! Maybe ill wait a tad longer and pick up a $99 Centro under my 2 year contract... I gotta take something when switching.

A lot of people at my high school have 'em, praise em like crazy. I can only imagine the pink Sprint model and AT&T models will sell like wild fire. Putting it on T-Mobile would be great, because many teens have TMO, don't want an SK and end up with either BB's or Windows Mobile devices. There is a great targeted consumer! Plus, T-Mobile's data is only $6 or $20!

PS: anyone know if the AT&T GSM version will pack a 1.3mp camera or the horrid VGA my Treo 680 has!?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
  17.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    It makes me drool, and perhaps wait a bit longer! Here's a badly translated version of the same page: http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8 apparently, the keyboard lights are harmonious. I think. It was easier to read it in Chinese!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Great Pics!! I hope it comes in dark BLUE!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    It makes me drool, and perhaps wait a bit longer! Here's a badly translated version of the same page: http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8 apparently, the keyboard lights are harmonious. I think. It was easier to read it in Chinese!
    I don't know what was more entertaining: those fabulous pics of the centro up against the treo, or the reaaaallllllllllly bad translation. It was like reading the script of an old martial-arts movie! You need to click on this link and read it; it will make your day!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast