1.    #1  
    From PiC, palm is removing the Java download.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...e-to-download/

I was wondering, has anyone put Opera Mini onto their 755 and not looking back? I am so-so with Blazer and I read how wonderful Opera is. So, if people are having success I would like to give it a go.

PE
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    In regards to this, what other files besides the required three need to be installed from the zip file?
    i think palm's license for that software already expired that's why they are removing it. hopefully they can soon get a new license and restore back the download page.
    "If you bring forth what is within you, it will heal you. And if you do not bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you." (from the Gospel of St. Thomas)
    The newest ver of OPERA MINI is the only one that has worked on ANY treo I have owned. All other ver's crash.

The JavaVM slows down app switching
    Wow, thank you for posting this. I've been wanting to try Opera and I would of been bummmed out if I would of missed this down load.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by PalmEnvy View Post

I was wondering, has anyone put Opera Mini onto their 755 and not looking back? I am so-so with Blazer and I read how wonderful Opera is. So, if people are having success I would like to give it a go.

PE
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmEnvy View Post

PE
    Honestly, I gave it a try, but the resets made it not worthwhile...I really wanted to like it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I just got opera up and running and I have to say with all the praise this browser gets I am very dissapointed. It runs very slow and freezes a lot. I like the fact that you can view the whole page but it kinda sucks you can't see any of the text until you zoom in. I still prefer blazer over everything ive tried so far.
    Last edited by syphex; 01/11/2008 at 01:45 PM.
    Yeah I never had much luck with Opera Mini either. Everytime I click on something it seems to take several seconds before it even starts loading and the zooming is annoying to deal with all the time.
    Works great for me. You need to go into Prefs and configure the IBM JAVA VM to use more cache; 4MB and 32KB seems to work for me.

My only complaints are when you switch out of it and go back in, you can't configure it to return to the last web page you were at. You also can't get rid of the nag screen that verifies you want to use the network connection.

Other than that, it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    My only complaints are when you switch out of it and go back in, you can't configure it to return to the last web page you were at. You also can't get rid of the nag screen that verifies you want to use the network connection.
    Well, stop complaining and get rid of that old nag!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=15
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    The newest ver of OPERA MINI is the only one that has worked on ANY treo I have owned. All other ver's crash.

The JavaVM slows down app switching
    Is that true? Does JavaVM slow down app switching? If you don't have Opera, is having JavaVM even worthwhile?
    From what I've heard JVM is pretty poorly implemented in general.

If you don't use anything that uses JVM, might as well not use it. It just takes up internal memory anyways.

I don't know how gracefully that thing deletes though...
    What even uses it, besides Opera?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    You can no longer download the JVM
    Yeah, you can, don't have the link off hand, but it can be found on here, somewhere.