Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DougI View Post
    Interesting that this device, which looks almost identical to my Centro, has the text "Treo" on the front of it.
    The buttons are off, and the Centro's prototype models had "Treo" on them, too. This is probably a pre-production model.
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    I'm with ya whatever7! I love blue, especially midnight blue.

If I wasn't on GSM, I'd gladly trade a white Centro, if that's what's coming to GSM, for a black one. I have nothing against the color white but I just don't care to have a white gadget. I have to admit though that the one in that pic looks pretty sweet. Especially those middle buttons that are a smokey gray. And of course if a Centro shows up at AT&T, I'll get one even if it's puke green with pink polkadots because I'm such a gadget freak.
    I have a white 680 (I wanted something different from the graphite, thought the red was too much and didn't care for copper). While I haven't seen any scratch issues due to the color, I am ready for a change. The question is what the color choices will be looking at unlocked vs. AT&T-branded. White for one of them, obviously. Will the black and red (and maybe pink) be carried over or stay Sprint-only? After all, Sprint has a habit of releasing Treos in different colors from any other carrier--look at the 600 and 650 in particular. Even with the 755, the blue may not be obviously different than a 755 on Verizon (or even a 750 on AT&T) and only barely distinguishable from Alltel's black, and Sprint is the only carrier with any other option--burgundy. Then there's the 680 colors drama--I'm sure Palm doesn't want to repeat the way they started with 4 colors for unlocked, then AT&T insisted they cut back to graphite only and offer AT&T branded red and white ones... whatever color options they offer on the GSM Centro, they'll want to be able to stick with it.

I've been on an unlocked-only trend for a few of years now. I could get the AT&T-branded model if I wanted; however, I'd rather have something a little different visually, I like having the flexibility of just popping in a prepaid SIM card if I go overseas, and I like the fact that I don't end up with carrier-branded junk icons that I don't want or use. Yes, I use a launcher that could hide them; I'm glad I don't have to, though.

So, it comes back to what the choices will be for unlocked vs. AT&T. Any further indications of at least when we'll know?
    In the Sprint databases the Centro is labled as the Palm Treo 690. It was originally going to be sold as a Treo 690, but Sprint and/or Palm wanted to diffrentiate from the Treos due to the lower price and different market demographic.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    In the Sprint databases the Centro is labled as the Palm Treo 690. It was originally going to be sold as a Treo 690, but Sprint and/or Palm wanted to diffrentiate from the Treos due to the lower price and different market demographic.
    The big question here is will Palm brand the new offering on other carriers as a Centro? Or will it be a new Treo model--that just happens to look like the Centro on Sprint? Some of the prototype pics out there have even shown elements of both on one unit--but those are just prototypes and may not reflect the final product as launched. While this point has already been debated some, both here and elsewhere, and it looks like most people are just calling it the "GSM Centro" as a matter of simplicity for now, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell which way this will go until either 1) Palm makes an official announcement, most likely a release or 2) some other sort of new evidence (like a product roadmap leak) comes to light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    The big question here is will Palm brand the new offering on other carriers as a Centro? Or will it be a new Treo model--that just happens to look like the Centro on Sprint? Some of the prototype pics out there have even shown elements of both on one unit--but those are just prototypes and may not reflect the final product as launched. While this point has already been debated some, both here and elsewhere, and it looks like most people are just calling it the "GSM Centro" as a matter of simplicity for now, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell which way this will go until either 1) Palm makes an official announcement, most likely a release or 2) some other sort of new evidence (like a product roadmap leak) comes to light.
    Who cares what it will be named? The AT&T version is technically the Treo 685 (just as Sprint's was the Treo 690) but it seems likely that it will be called a 'Centro' as well, since a lot of buzz was generated about the Centro being the first sub-$100 smartphone when it came out. It was clearly Palm's choice to rename it for easier marketing. If anything, they may try to give it some other "hip" name just to differentiate the GSM model.
    I wouldn't be suprised to see it labled Centro XXX, kinda like the Razor V3, Razor V3i, etc. as it made it to different networks. There's quite a bit of buzz around the name Centro, that'd carry over really well to other networks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12