Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    OK, I should have known better. Some of you may remember my thread a few weeks back questioning the necessity of the 2.11 patch. None of the improvements were needed for me as I had installed all the previous updates and did not want some of the new functionality. My 680 was rock solid and I didn't want to jeopardize that. Well, I knew in the long run I would cave in and try the update anyway. You know, I gotta love the latest and greatest...

Well, This morning I plugged my Cingular (now AT&T) 680 into my computer, plugged it into the outlet and began the update. After about 1 1/2 minutes it warned me that Texas Hold 'em wouldn't back up. OK, so far so good. About 3 minutes after that I got a MS warning that something (unfamiliar "Host") needed to shut down and all I was working on "would be lost". I prayed it was my browser and not the updater, but when I said "Send Report" some DOS boxes appeared briefly and said something about "disconnecting" a variety of aps. My Palm screen says "Updating Treo / Warning / Do not reset or unplug your devise". Waiting a minute or two my updater screen shut down and that was it.

My 680 is still plugged in. The screen still is on and posting the warning. I have not unplugged it. I am afraid it is bricked! What went wrong? Or more importantly, what can I do about it? All of my previous updates have gone smoothly. I consider myself quite adept at computers/technology, but without any info as to what happened I am at a loss.

Help?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well, when the forums went down I got impatient. After 4 hours of looking at that "Updating Treo / Warning / Do not reset or unplug your devise" screen I figured I couldn't do much more damage than I had already done so I restarted the update. I had never disconnected it, unplugged it, or restarted it. Anyway, I this time I received an "Unrecoverable Error" message, but when I looked at my Treo, it was back to normal. Went ahead with the update (What was I thinking). Again, it crapped out on me, but not until it was finished! Praise the Lord for small and large blessings.

I guess I need to wait a little longer for my new phone...
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    glad it worked out, I am still on the fence on upgrading like you posted, I do not need alot of what they did, and I really get sick of how you have to do the upgrades via a card reader and such?
    Sounds like you were hotsyncing AND updating? At the same time?

I never do hotsync updates, only SD.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I have always done the PC update via sync cable. It's always been flawless...until now! But, hey, I'm back on my feet again and all I need to do is reinstall pTunes Deluxe and Texas Hold 'em.
    I would just use one of the custom ROMs found here at TC. I did and have no regrets. My Treo is rock solid and I don't have all the crap on there from AT&T.
    I've been unable to use the 2.11-both sync and SD method. Do you recommend a custom ROM?
    Hot syncing method-I get the "Connection Timed Out" message
    SD method- I try to copy the file using Card Reader, but it also times out(loads a file over and over again, until it stops).
    Custom ROMs are "at your own risk" type things. I read the entire thread, like 50 pages or something, before trying it. I don't know why you are having issues with the update, though. Did you try hard resetting your device before running the update? I would use the SD card method, though. Make sure it's wiped and formatted first and then follow the folder copy directions to the letter.