Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    This is the 2nd Treo 650 I have had and I am trying to use the BlueSoleil software to connect my laptop to my Treo for a DUN modem and get internet on my laptop with my dataplan that I have on the Treo. On my old Treo, I thought there was an option for "enable dial-up networking" on the bluetooth screen, but I do not see it on this Treo 650. Do I need to go somewhere to turn this on?
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5hwb View Post
    This is the 2nd Treo 650 I have had and I am trying to use the BlueSoleil software to connect my laptop to my Treo for a DUN modem and get internet on my laptop with my dataplan that I have on the Treo. On my old Treo, I thought there was an option for "enable dial-up networking" on the bluetooth screen, but I do not see it on this Treo 650. Do I need to go somewhere to turn this on?
    That option does exist for unlocked GSM Treos. Do you have a Treo with carrier-specific software? Maybe it was removed (I'm pretty sure it's not available on the Verizon Treos).
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It is a Cingular Treo which I use on the TMO network. And I know that it exists because I had another Treo 650 before this one, same model/carrier/everything and it had this option.
    It is a Cingular Treo which I use on the TMO network. And I know that it exists because I had another Treo 650 before this one, same model/carrier/everything and it had this option.
    Do you have the most up to date software? I remember it was disabled by Cingular for quite some time, and then one of the updates enabled it.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I am thinking that is what I need, to update the software. But I wasn't sure that could be done or how to do it. The Bluetooth manager that I have is version 1.0
    I am thinking that is what I need, to update the software. But I wasn't sure that could be done or how to do it. The Bluetooth manager that I have is version 1.0
    This is what you need. It'll tell you how to find out if you need to update, etc...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Even with the latest (117G) Cingular/AT&T upgrade, your Treo may not be able to connect to a Bluetooth laptop. My Thinkpad sees the phone with no problem--but the phone refuses to "discover" the laptop.

Apparently we have "Bluetooth, version Gimp" on the 650's. I tried Palm's online support and danced with them for about 1/2 hour, with the tech often responding off the point, he was worse than useless. That leaves AT&T's support to try...and you know their answer will be they don't support third-party devices, like your laptop.<G>
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The OEM (hobbled, 20k limited) DUN works.
    USB Modem app works to get around the 20k limit.
    However...
    Has there been a patch out, or do newer versions of Palm OS on other devices support, automatic toggling of DUN mode upon request from an external device?

I'm using a Nokia N800 tablet, and unless you switch it into "Offline Mode" it will attempt to auto-connect to the paired phone to fetch mail. Doing so with DUN mode disabled on the handheld forces a soft reset. Most annoying.

But at least I can connect it to a Palm device -- the newer Windows Mobile devices use Internet Connection Sharing*, and the N800 can't connect using that without some fiddling about in Linux that's slightly beyond me. I tried using the WM verson of USB Modem, and it failed to work. PDANet can't work, since it requires a program running on the remote device, which is not available for Linux.

*ICS is arguably a better system, and forward-compatible, but it breaks compaitblity witn DUN devices. Also, it can't be invoked by the remote device in any case (every session must be enabled on the handheld, then connected to from the remote device).
    Last edited by Rusty J; 01/13/2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71