1.    #1  
    just post what apps you think are overpriced and should be cheaper, if you want to be even more specific say what the price is now and what you think it should be.

i think that ir chess (15.00) and ir checkers (15.00) and kidspilot (no longer on palmgear but can be purchased form kagi at iscomplete.org) (29.95) are over priced. i think checkers and chess should be 6.00 and kidspilot 10.00.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Though almost all the software I've used thus far has been freeware*, I wish WriteSmith were ten bucks less. I haven't bothered to register it yet.

I also think the GameFace should run half of what it does. It's just a piece of plastic with a rubber stick and it costs more than some cases.

* exception: PortaKitty. it's too much fun, I had to pay the $5. especially since I'm not allowed to have a real one.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Do you mean Wordsmith?
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    Originally posted by akur
    Do you mean Wordsmith?
    Doop! yes, I did.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I agree, Wordsmith should be cheaper. I also think SimCity should be cheaper or at least have a trial version.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I just have to disagree about WordSmith being overpriced or especially OVER-PRICED as the thread title suggests. Perhaps at its MSRP of $40 it would be pushing it, but at its present price of $30, it's priced right for the enhanced abilities it brings to the Palm platform.

Just about anything is overpriced if you don't really need it.
    My friends and I were discussing this.

I don't think anything should be cheaper than $10, otherwise it isn't worth charging for, and should be freeware. Also this is about the range where people will bother paying. It's a weird deal, but people really won't bother paying for a $2 or $3 program, because it's basically freeware. Unless you put in a lot of effort to copy protect it, in which case you deserve $10.

$10 should be reserved for things such as basic hacks, simple games, "fun" applications, or basic alarm clock programs, big clock etc.

$19 should be your average application, like a replacement datebook or average e-mailer. Outliner, etc. Applications that serve as basic ROM replacement set up. Mapping programs might fit in here, web browsers, clippers, etc. Also the less complicated databases.

$29 should be a seriously developed program, that has almost the functionality of a desktop app, such as Wordsmith, Quicksheet, the better databases, Documents to Go, etc.

There is a lot of judgement, but I basically see that applications for Palm should fit into these pricing ranges.
    $50 is about the most I am willing to pay for software. In all honesty if it's more than that I will start looking into piracy and workaround options instead.

I really love Palm OS because there are so many good program for under $50. And I find that often they do almost as much as dekstop software. I am not an advocate of piracy, I believe that developers should be paid for their work. I just don't think Microsoft Office should be any more than $200, or that Windows should cost $100.

I really love buying applications for Palm OS because I feel like I'm actually supporting somebody developing new and innovative things for my use. I hope that developers stick with the lower pricing tiers instead of going for 'the big bucks'. As of yet I don't see piracy as a very big deal on Palm OS, am I wrong?

Kg
    Unless you've taken the time and effort to develop, test, advertise, distribute and support a Palm OS application, you really have no way of fairly stating whether or not an application is overpriced.

You may say that it is too expensive for your needs, but it is unfair to the hard working developers to outright blast their software as being overpriced.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by homer; 06/10/2001 at 08:51 PM.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I do not make palm programs, but I believe they take some effort. Yes, SimCity is overpriced, but it is a nice game and the developer need some credit and compensation. Apps like Wordsmith are very useful, and well writtem and to some people could be worth as much as, if not more than the price.
    I agree with kgruscho on most of his assesment. Except that his $10 range out to be more like $5 and his $19 range ought to be more like $15. You might say, gee what's $5? It does add up. I have never spent more than $40 on a program. There is really no need. If you look at all the choices out there, you can find what you need for about that price or less. It's even better for Palm-based handhelds. These companies that release programs for $30 or $40 don't seem to realize the incredible amount of freeware/shareware programs out there that have close to the same functionality as there own software.

IMHO, looking at the market for handheld software, you have to look at the availability of the type of software you're releasing. If there are a lot of free apps that do close to the same thing as your own, people are going to be hesitant to buy it for $30 - $40 unless you've created the Sports Car in the horse and buggy era.

Anyway, that's my inflated 3 cents.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    I for one think that time wasters such as games should not be more than $12 - $15, Where is the value in that? I am all for charging a good price for Productivity tools such as Ultrasoft Money, Word Smith etc... They pay for themselves over time. I can't say the same thing for games
    "Time Wasters" is actually the name of the tab in Launcher that I've put all of my games into.

But I disagree with their utility or worth. If it weren't for those games, my Visor probably would have gone the way of my early Win CE 1.0 device and various other gadgets in my life. Exiled.

I mean hell, I don't use DateBk+ or whatnot because I enjoy being organized. It's a necessary evil and wouldn't motivate me enough to carry my Deluxe back and forth from home, let alone everywhere I go (although I did leave it in the car when I went to Universal Studios so it wouldn't get wet on Jurassic Park).
    "Time Wasters" is actually the name of the tab in Launcher that I've put all of my games into.
    Geez,
    You have room for such a looong name in your launcher tab.
    I'm at my on-screen limit with App,Utils,Game,Class,Photo,Pi,E4u(work thing)

I really like the organization of tabs. I must have 90 apps on my Prism. Most are freeware. Some of the best are freeware. Launcher III, HandyShopper, Drawit, BugMe, AvantGo, MobileDBlt.

Some are paid necessities: Hackmaster, Palmlock, Secret.

Some are paid workhorses: Docs2Go, PocketQuicken 2.0, Action Names.

Some are super cheap for what they do: Mapopolis- FREE or $2.95(enhanced)!!!!!

The only overpriced app that I have is - SplashPhoto-
    but I bought it because it was the best photo display app out there and a NECCESSITY if you have a Prism!
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by homer
    Unless you've taken the time and effort to develop, test, advertise, distribute and support a Palm OS application, you really have no way of fairly stating whether or not an application is overpriced.

You may say that it is too expensive for your needs, but it is unfair to the hard working developers to outright blast their software as being overpriced.

Just some thoughts.
    I agree, and thank you for being a voice of sanity.
    I appreciate that many developers -- often individuals -- offer their software for free. I'm concerned about paying a lot for this muffl -- er, paying what I consider to be a lot for software I may rarely use. I have this concern for my desktop as well.
    Stuff's expensive. I'm not rich.
    Originally posted by Anomaly
    When I first started, I put all my games into "Book reports" to throw off any teachers or students who might be looking. Then I realized I always used the "All" tab.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I think that Pocket Quicken looks great, but I would have no money if I spent $60 for quicken plus another $40 for pocket quicken. Yikes, $100 to upgrade from my check book ledger freeware app.
    Originally posted by homer

As an adjective, overpriced should be understood as the subjective pronouncement of a consumer who intuits that what's being charged doesn't honestly reflect the time, effort and expense in the software's creation. Some developers work harder than others, and deserve more compensation; needless to say, the converse is equally true. The market is a dialogue, not a monologue, and consumers have the right and the obligation to voice their opinions.

That doesn't mean consumers are always right, but they provide valuable feedback that shouldn't be dismissed as flaming. If 9 out of 10 reviews on PalmGear complain that a particular application is overpriced, the author might listen. To wit: Life Balance was reduced from $49.95 to $39.95.

It's simply wrong to take the criticism of a specific application's price and read into it a general indictment of the software industry, or a broader critique of capitalism. The simple fact is that if most people think an application is overpriced, and the sales reflect that, then it is overpriced.
    Gameboy, you are absolutely right.

The reason I said what I did is that I find that a lot of people say that software is overpriced before really thinking about the time and effort that goes into producing and supporting software.

People should be free to think that software is overpriced, but when I see people saying that a small, niche market application is overrpriced at $10, then I don't think they've really thought about what went into that application.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne