Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I currently own a Palm Centro and I really like it but the small keyboard is bugging me with typos. Is there a big advantage to the Centro over the 755p besides the size? I am currently debating if I should sell my Centro and purchase a 755p
    Hi,

It really is a size / form factor decision. I decided on the 755p based on the fact that I do a lot of typing of emails, and the keyboard was just too small. Other than that, the capability is virtually identical.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Larger (longer life) battery in the 755p.
    You mean to tell me that the battery life of the Centro is less than the 755p? Wow, how long does the Centro last, 45 mins?
    I have a 755p & the battery life is so pityful I can't use the capabilites of the phone for fear of running out of juice.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    I got the Seidio 3200 battery in my Treo 755p and with beams + bt turned off I can basically run the phone for days without charging it.

With BT turned on it's not too much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by makad View Post
    You mean to tell me that the battery life of the Centro is less than the 755p? Wow, how long does the Centro last, 45 mins?
    I have a 755p & the battery life is so pityful I can't use the capabilites of the phone for fear of running out of juice.
    Centro has a 1150mAh battery, with a 3.5 hours of talk time indicated.

755p has a 1600mAh battery, with a 4.2 hour of talk time indicated.

I am using a 2100mAh Seidio battery in my 755p, I am not sure what is currently available for the Centro on the extended battery side of things.

I have found the 4.2 hour estimate to be accurate and the 2100mAh increases this proportionally by another hour for the 755p. Of course, scheduled email pulls and heavy Internet usage will drain the battery faster than this as the screen is on full and not dimmed as it is during phone calls. I find the 2100mAh get's me thru my day and I carry a spare on business trips, as my email, Internet and phone usage increases dramatically when I am away from the office. However, I have never had to pop the spare in . . . more of a security blanket than anything else.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/06/2008 at 07:17 PM.
    I can get through the typical day with no problems as well, and have the spare battery with me just in case I have an "away from the office" day.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I tested both the centro and the 755p out several times and went with the 755p.

Hands down, the 755 keyboard is MUCH easier to type with. The centro, while acceptable for light data input, is far too cramped for me.

The better battery life and larger screen on the 755 were the other deal breakers for me.

I think you might be happier on the 755 as well. Perry is correct regarding the battery. I can get through a full day's use without having to pop a spare in. In fact, I haven't even bought one yet - I've found I actually don't need it.
    Keyboard size was the reason I never even considered a Centro. It just doesn't work with large hands...
    This particular forum will, by definition, be more highly skewed toward those that picked the 755p.

The smaller form factor is an attractive feature for many, if you can accurately type on the smaller keys and perhaps don't can either use a second battery or aren't as heavy a user.

That being said, the software features are virtual identical.

The centro has all the newest software that the 755p doesn't have. Pocket tunes/docstogo/versamail all have the newest updates on the centro that you would have to pay for on the 755p.
    I don't think you have to pay for PTunes + docstogo updates.

All you do is run the apps, Check For Update, fill out registration info for your app and you get free updates on both (4.0.5 for PTunes for example).

Is there even a newer Versamail? I though 3.5.4 was the latest.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I use the 755P with the stock battery and Chatter getting push e-mail all day.

I take the Treo off the charger at 7:30 a.m. every morning and put it back on around 9:00 p.m that evening and leave it to charge, get RSS feeds, weather update, and run a backup with BackupMan while on the charger.

I get through the day with the stock battery with moderate to heavy use without issue. I do have to put it on the charger overnight every night but if I'm faithful to do it this system works fine.

One thing I found is that when I take the Treo off the charger the percentage of battery immediately falls to 95%. Even so, this seems to be more an issue with the readout than the actual battery life that is left. I start the day at 95% but it takes quite a while before I get to 75%.

And like Perry, I carry a spare battery but haven't yet had to use it...but it is a security blanket if necessary.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    The 755 comes with the older ver 8 of Docs2Go while the Centro runs ver 10. Centrol has pTunes deluxe while the 755 only has the basic.
    Ahh ok. So there is no newer version of Versamail then.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I don't think you have to pay for PTunes + docstogo updates.

All you do is run the apps, Check For Update, fill out registration info for your app and you get free updates on both (4.0.5 for PTunes for example).

Is there even a newer Versamail? I though 3.5.4 was the latest.
    I will disagree on this. You will have to pay for the updates on the pTunes because the version that comes with the 755 is ver 3.*, the newest is 4.*... Same goes with Docs to go.

I dont think Versamail for the 755 can be updated yet.

All this true for a Sprint 755p.... unless verizon 755's have updated ones already, at which case i will be pissed...
    Yeah I just realized the "free" PTunes update is just the 4.0.5 trial that reverts back to the free one on the device after a time period.

That's pretty lame considering they say it is a free update.
    But you can upgrade to the latest PTunes 4.* basic version for free, so that's not too bad.
    there is an updated versamail that works pretty well thats on the centro I think its 4.0.1. Thats the biggest thing that Im looking forward too. Only downfall is it took them a year for the 700p MR and we don't even know if they are working on a MR for the 755.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    hmm. It seems like the versamail is a big advantage on the Centro. I just saw a 755p in person today and it looked pretty nice with a much bigger keyboard. I looked into it and the price tag on the 755p kills the deal. I'll just stick with the centro for now. I've been getting used to it and it is working fine (except for the small keys) Thanks all!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast