Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was running an older version of Docs to go on my Palm Tungsten. When I purchased the Centro my older stuff would not convert over. I called DataViz and they sent me a text with a link to the upgrade to version 10 for my desktop software free since I already had the prefessional version. if I trade my buggy Centro for the 755 would I still be able to get the upgrade for free? Also, what is the difference in pTunes that is on the 755? I have the version that is on the Centro now. TIA
    The conduit may work with the older version. IF not, I would expect that they will charge you for the upgrade on your treo.

If the conduit didn't work, you could uninstall the conduit and then install the version 8 conduit that is on the 755 cd.

ptunes deluxe includes internet radio, support for several more file formats including wma, support for WMP 11, and I believe skins. (I know I couldn't get to the skins part of the menu until I upgraded to the deluxe version but I forget which version came on the 700p).
    After using the Centro for several months, I am going back to my 755p. While I love the size difference, I have noticed a big difference in my ability to use the keyboard. I have what I would consider to be "average" size hands so I don't think that is the issue. The biggest problem for me is with one hand (one thumb) typing. While I thought that maybe the problem was just a learning curve issue and that I would get used to the smaller keyboard, that hasn't happened. Also, the screen size is a compromise. The clarity is great on the Centro, but, in this case, size matters. Also, battery life has become a problem. This may be solved at some point by an extended battery for the Centro, but since I have the extended battery for the 755p, the difference is substantial. When I first got the Centro, I was not using internet or email as frequently as I am now. The Centro seemed fine. However, since my useage of those programs has increased, I have to remember to make sure I have a full charge and capability to recharge during the afternoon hours. At this point, I am going back to the 755p.
    Legalbeagle
    I know the "Sleek Blue" skin works on the PTunes 4 basic (since it comes with the installer), but I havent' checked if you can actually switch skins.

I upgraded DocsToGo to 10.0 on my 755p and PTunes to deluxe 4.0.5, now I just need to wait for a Versamail update and I'm good to go!
    papped,

Do you remember if the standard embedded DocsToGo ver 8.002 that comes with the 755p rendered a word document like the upgrade DocsToGo ver 10.00?

I tried the the trial of DTG 10 and it rendered my word docs differently and the zooming was different also - it seemed that the percentage scaling was different - in others 75% zoom of ver 8 looked different that the 75% zoom of ver 10.

Did you notice that? Thanks!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Can't say tbh. I rarely use DocstoGo so far.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    there is a way to trade in a centro for the 755p? I thought the 755p was much pricer
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Ahh ok. So there is no newer version of Versamail then.
    centro comes with versamail 4 while 755p is 3.5.4 for sprint and 3.5.5 for verizon.
    "If you bring forth what is within you, it will heal you. And if you do not bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you." (from the Gospel of St. Thomas)
    Personally, I could care less. I never use versamail and the pocket tunes version which i have works just fine. To me, the bigger keyboard, larger screen and longer battery life are infinitely more valuable than simply having the latest versions of TWO programs onboard.
    No doubt. I would rather pick the hardware I like better and pay to ugprade the software anyways (assuming you even need to). Versamail has some problems that prevent me from wanting to use it anyways.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Price was the issue for me and that's why I chose the centro for $99 over the web. I couldn't justify paying $150 more for a similar product. The keyboard is cramped and I do make typos, but I can live with it. My typing will get better with time.
    I'd rather pick a device I'm comfortable typing on than one I have to force myself to be comfortable with. That's why I chose the 755 when I upgraded.
    I am a farily new Treo owner... so unlike some of the guys in this thread, I've not got the long-term experience (be it good and/or bad) of them...

I just got my first Treo, the 755p a couple months ago. I found the price to be a tad-bit high... at least $100 to $150 bucks - even after I kick-*** deal from Sprint for a 2-year contract. So, when it comes to price... shees, the 755p is expensive!

In regards to software and accesories... I have now probably spent as much in software as I did for the freaking phone... (sigh).

Snapper Mail Enterprise - $60 bucks (because I need to have imap)
    Antennas - $100+ (because I travel a lot!)
    Seidio 8" S&C Cable - $16 bucks (because $16 bucks is worth not having to carry around a 6-FOOT cable like palm gives you!)
    CallRec - $20 bucks (CYA, enough said)
    UltimatePhone - $20 bucks (unncessary, but I like it)
    FakeCall - $10 bucks (because I hate meetings)
    Seidio 3200mAh battery - $70 bucks (because the 755p eats battery for a working man big-time!)
    Resco Backup - $15 bucks (a must-have)
    Softick Card Export II - $15 bucks (a must-have for easy file transfers while plugging into computers w/o activeSync)
    SplashID - $30 bucks (tried them all, just prefered this one)
    stuffbak - $20 bucks (a must-have)
    Documents To Go Premium 10 - $30 bucks (because some ***** somewhere decided to put a version 2 versions old on the 755p)
    pdaNet - $34 bucks (a must-have for laptop travel)
    PTunes Deluxe - $38 bucks (not a must-have, but nice)
    Kinoma - $25 bucks (not a must-have, but nice)

Now sure, some of this you are going to probably buy for a Centro as well, but (as many have made really clear)... the Centro has the most recent version of software, the 755p (which, lets face it folks, wasn't released all that long ago) is running some pretty out-dated software! (shame on Palm for this!)

As for the keyboard... the 755p puts the hurt to the Centro, and not to mention the looks... every business person I know has gone "Oh my god that's ugly! WTF did Palm do!!" when they first saw the Centro.

Just my thoughts.
    Using NVBackup (free) would have saved you a bit of money since it works great
    I've had both and the Centro wins handsdown:

-battery rating is less but I belive power management is better because I don't notice a significant difference

-form factor is so much better (due to size/weight, carrying a Centro in your pocket is actually a reasonable option)

-more stable and responsive/quicker

-the black looks better in a professional environment

-the only downsides are the lack of tactile response in the buttons and I miss the soft touch paint (although the Centro is nowhere near as slippery as the 650 was!)
    Its personal preference I guess. To me though, there was just no contest. 755 all the way, and I really tried hard to like the centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    I
    -form factor is so much better (due to size/weight, carrying a Centro in your pocket is actually a reasonable option)

-the black looks better in a professional environment
    I really don't see why carrying a 755p in your pocket isnt an option...

I also don't understand how the Treo 755p looks worse in a professional environment with the blue/burgundy paint job. The thing looks slick and professional and looks more expensive than the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I really don't see why carrying a 755p in your pocket isnt an option...

I also don't understand how the Treo 755p looks worse in a professional environment with the blue/burgundy paint job. The thing looks slick and professional and looks more expensive than the Centro.
    The 755p is fine in a shirt or pants pocket at work (when I wear a suit), but is a bit large for throwing in the pocket of my jeans on weekends, but that's what a belt clip is for.

I agree that the 755p looks perfectly professional to me (particularly the blue). But then so does the black Centro. I've heard differing stories regarding battery life, which can be worked around with 2nd batteries and/or travel chargers....as has been said before, it all comes down to keyboard preference.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Well, to each their own. But my personal preference is the larger keyboard, screen and battery life all within the 755 which I have no problem carrying around at work or on the weekends.

The centro's black color helps, but the overall design looks more like youth or student's phone than a professional smartphone. Like I said, I tried really hard to like the centro, as I had a choice between the two phones when I had to replace a broken 650. But that cramped kb and screen just didn't do it at all for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The 755p is fine in a shirt or pants pocket at work (when I wear a suit), but is a bit large for throwing in the pocket of my jeans on weekends, but that's what a belt clip is for.

I agree that the 755p looks perfectly professional to me (particularly the blue). But then so does the black Centro. I've heard differing stories regarding battery life, which can be worked around with 2nd batteries and/or travel chargers....as has been said before, it all comes down to keyboard preference.
    I have the 755p on Alltel, so the black on the Centro is of no consequence since my 755p is black and looks great. I like the way the 755 feels in my hand, and the keyboard is much better.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12