1.    #1  
    This may not be news to everyone, but I just discovered that the Treo 680 with the 2.11 ROM has variable CPU speed, something I thought no palm OS device had without third party software.

You can see it in action using the "about" screen in TCPMP. Each time you return to that screen you can see various different speeds, mostly above the rated 312 mhz. I have seen speeds between 240 and 582. On a 650 and every other palm I have had the TCPMP "about" screen shows a constant number each time you return there.

Maybe this is the hidden "improved power management" in the 2.11 rom... slowing the CPU during idle periods and bumping it up when needed. On the other hand, maybe it is just a bug in the way TCPMP measures CPU speed.

Can anyone else confirm this? Is there any official word from Palm? I would think this is newsworthy, if true.
    Well, mine does the same....seen from 300 to 312Mhz

Also on AT&T 2.11 rom.
    A life? I don't need to get a life I have diving.....
    Wow! Thats an improvement!
    Maybe Palm finally used Intel SpeedStep available on the PXA270?
    That's interesting.. I've never seen Speedy vary by *much*, but it will vary given what's running. If you have a lot of background apps, it'll be too high or too low, but otherwise it's pretty stable.

I think it's just not accurate, but dunno.
    I installed some files from Treo 680 ROM and now my 650 TCPMP shows 303-330MHz at different times.
    THough i havent checked whether 650 could do this originally
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    I installed some files from Treo 680 ROM and now my 650 TCPMP shows 303-330MHz at different times.
    THough i havent checked whether 650 could do this originally
    That tells me that tcpmp's benchmark is not stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    That tells me that tcpmp's benchmark is not stable.
    That's what I thought. It takes a look at the processor speed and makes a guess at what it is really running at. The processor probably does not run at different speeds.....but I am willing to be wrong.
    A life? I don't need to get a life I have diving.....
    But on my Zire 72, which has the same CPU as the treos it always shows 312