1.    #1  
    Hello!

I recently got a black Centro and have been reading the boards to educate myself on the features. However, even though I am very computer-savvy, I am new to POS and there is so much disjointed information, I am having a hard time trying to find what I need

I'd appreciate if any veterans could point me to applications, how-tos, wikis, and up-to-date threads (i.e. not huge threads that cover all versions of an app since its origin) that would help me do the following:

Phone App -- I'd like to have two things:
    (1) dial buttons that fill the entire screen (even when I remove Favorites, the keys stay the same size); and
    (2) it'd be great if the same app could also provide one-key speed dial functionality to on-screen 2-9 buttons (like regular phones). I know I can map keyboard buttons to speed dial but the keys are pretty darn small on the Centro; and while Favorites buttons are neat, I feel it'd be more efficient to have some speed dial numbers mapped to on-screen keys. FYI, I found the SpeedDial app, but I don't think it interfaces withPhone App keys like I want.

Contacts App -- is there anything more efficient than the build-in version? I don't really need photo dial functionality or a zillion of custom fields, but I want something practical and efficient. For example, display a only name but have "Home", "Work", "Cell", "TXT" buttons appear dynamically & have them mapped to H, W, C, T buttons, and specify default Talk button action (e.g. call Cell).

Home screen/Launcher -- I've read about diffirent apps to customize launcher, icons, skin interface, etc., but are there a good guides for that stuff? For example, TreoLauncher's thread on here is >90 pages and covers over 2 years. I'm hoping there's something better organized, like wiki pages, that covers each of the popular programs and is up to date.

Thank you!
    The Centro favorite lets you set up 1-9, but then you have to remember letters for the other 19. I use a program called Speed Dial to program 1-99 just like a regular phone. It also let's you dial the last 4 digits of any number in your contacts. It's available here:
    mobile.lionscribe.com/default.htm
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    The Centro favorite lets you set up 1-9, but then you have to remember letters for the other 19. I use a program called Speed Dial to program 1-99 just like a regular phone. It also let's you dial the last 4 digits of any number in your contacts. It's available here:
    mobile.lionscribe.com/default.htm
    Regular Centro favorites are only assignable to keyboard keys, but I want speed dial for the on-screen 1-9 keys. My previous phone was an old Sanyo and the way I am used to speed dialing is just holding down one of 1-9 keys without pressing any other buttons (i.e. not "9" + Talk but just holding down "9" for a few seconds). On Centro, this works with "1" (holding it down dials Voicemail automatically), so I don't see why it'd not be possible to have it working with 2-9 keys.
    Last edited by Rusdude; 01/04/2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    That IS how the Centro's favorites work on 1-9. The program I showed you also does that. Do you see the numbers on the keyboard? It might say 'F' on the favorites button but it's also the 5

The program will let you press and hold 1-9 on either dialer.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Best home launcher IMHO is Treo Launcher - very light, simple, lets you have a decent home screen, and not buggy like Initiate pro (which caused resets every day). U can also try UltimatePhone for a dialpad replacement, but personally I didn't like it (lags). The built in contacts app is pretty user friendly, but if you want a more finger-friendly app, try 2Cool4U
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    That IS how the Centro's favorites work on 1-9. The program I showed you also does that. Do you see the numbers on the keyboard? It might say 'F' on the favorites button but it's also the 5

The program will let you press and hold 1-9 on either dialer.
    I apologize if it wasn't clear, but I already mentioned that Centro's default dialer doesn't do what I'd like. Yes, I can map speed-dial to white number keys on the keyboard, but it doesn't affect on-screen dialer. For example, I have a contact mapped to the "R" key ("2"). I just checked again, and holding "2" down on the on-screen dialer doesn't not dial the number mapped to "R"/"2".

I guess, I might eventually become used to hard keys for speed dial, but I fail to see the logic in not having an option to use on-screen keys.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Best home launcher IMHO is Treo Launcher - very light, simple, lets you have a decent home screen, and not buggy like Initiate pro (which caused resets every day). U can also try UltimatePhone for a dialpad replacement, but personally I didn't like it (lags). The built in contacts app is pretty user friendly, but if you want a more finger-friendly app, try 2Cool4U
    Thank you. TreoLauncher is the name that pops up a lot (along with ZLauncher). Is there a good one-stop resource for that program like a wiki page? I think that's the program that has a 94-page thread on here and I can't imagine reading that much mostly-outdated material to find small bits that are current/interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusdude View Post
    I guess, I might eventually become used to hard keys for speed dial, but I fail to see the logic in not having an option to use on-screen keys.
    Well, not even with "Speed Dial" the program, can you press and hold the numbers on the screen and dial. But you can press the number on the screen and then the large center button to dial. That's about as easy as it's going to get if you don't want to press and hold the white number buttons.
    While in Phone mode, tap Menu/Option/Tips to see tip on page 5 of 13. Try it on one of your favorites w/multiple contacts.

Other than bottom row buttons on screen, it is easier for 1 hand operation to use hard keys IMO.
    FastFrank
    Hi,

I would like to suggest my TAKEphONE app for some of your requests:

Phone App -- I'd like to have two things:
    (1) dial buttons that fill the entire screen (even when I remove Favorites, the keys stay the same size); and
    When in the main FIND screen, you can toggle the mode between "list" mode and "buttons" mode, where there are big on-screen buttons to either search or dial manually.

(2) it'd be great if the same app could also provide one-key speed dial functionality to on-screen 2-9 buttons (like regular phones). I know I can map keyboard buttons to speed dial but the keys are pretty darn small on the Centro; and while Favorites buttons are neat, I feel it'd be more efficient to have some speed dial numbers mapped to on-screen keys. FYI, I found the SpeedDial app, but I don't think it interfaces withPhone App keys like I want.
    In the FIND screen with the "buttons" view - tap & HOLD a screen button to start a call to the matching favourite entry.

Contacts App -- is there anything more efficient than the build-in version? I don't really need photo dial functionality or a zillion of custom fields, but I want something practical and efficient. For example, display a only name but have "Home", "Work", "Cell", "TXT" buttons appear dynamically & have them mapped to H, W, C, T buttons, and specify default Talk button action (e.g. call Cell).
    TAKEphONE displays only the names, press OK to open the details, with a default phone field selected, so a second fast press (double click, if you will) on the OK lets you call the default phone number.

Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  11.    #11  
    Thank you, I will try TAKEphONE app next. I am using UltimatePhone right now and even though it doesn't really have the features I want, it's so easy on the eye
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusdude View Post
    Thank you. TreoLauncher is the name that pops up a lot (along with ZLauncher). Is there a good one-stop resource for that program like a wiki page? I think that's the program that has a 94-page thread on here and I can't imagine reading that much mostly-outdated material to find small bits that are current/interesting.
    Treolauncher's official page is Here

If you speak russian, hpc.ru is a good place to check out palm software.