1.    #1  
    I don't have that many apps on my 650, and I only have about 250 SMS's in my inbox. I have about 900 SMS's in my sent box, but when I reduced my SMS inbox from 1400 to 100, it only freed up 1 or 2MB.

How much free space is optimal? How much is average? How much free space do you have?

Here are a list of the apps I can delete (I'll only list the ones that matter size-wise):

CallFilter 631k
    CityID Log 344k
    Dir Assist 168k
    Documents 1256k
    eReader 419k
    FileZ 196k
    FlightStatus 196k
    J9 Java Launcher 935k
    J9 MIDP Bundle 725k
    Messages Database 1170k
    SheetToGo 1029k
    SMS Messages2 2142k
    SS_P2P 258k
    WordToGo 1125k
    WordToGoFonts 275k
    WP_P2P 212k

Is there anything else I can delete? The functionality on this phone gets really limited when the amount of free space is low, as I'm sure you guys know.
    Have you used the DataViz Tech Tool to move the Docs to Go Applications to the Card? Are you using ZLauncher, or something similar to move applications to the card? I like to keep my main memory above 5M, and I currently have 6.9M free. Using the DataViz Tech Tool and ZLauncher (as well as a custom ROM), this is my current setup:

ROM:
    Calc
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Tasks
    Messaging
    Phone
    Web
    Camera
    Media
    Sounds
    Hotsync
    Prefs
    Bluetooth

Main Memory:
    Agendus Pro
    TreoWeather
    Call Block
    Chatter
    MunduIM
    UltimatePhone
    Reset Doctor
    Warden
    LEDOff
    Resco Locker
    ZLauncher
    Cradle Care

Card:
    Palmary Clock Wireless
    Docs To Go
    Flight Status
    Treo Memo
    Tube 2
    Google Maps
    Directory Assistant
    PDANet
    Mundu Radio
    Noah Pro Dictionary
    Thesaurus
    GooSync
    Chess Genius
    Dope Wars
    Gem Heist
    Hellfire
    Legacy
    MiniBar
    Sea War
    Sudoku
    Zap! 2010
    Converter
    DataViz Tech Tool
    DBFixIt
    PalmInternals
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    My set up is the same as Phrogpilot, I have most of my apps on my card and also used the Dataviz tool to move all the Docs to Go and their related DB's to my card. I currently have 14MB free, and use zLauncher to move stuff around.

Here is the download link and info on that Dataviz tool:
    http://support.dataviz.com/support.s...13395&pid=2000
    Last edited by dollface; 01/11/2008 at 07:49 AM.
    All the above are good suggestions. Have you used Filez to look for any other unusually large files on your phone? Do you store all media (pictures, music, and movies) on your SD card?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Yes, use Filez and sort by file size. Look in RAM first, then look in "Built In"

It could be pictures or video taking up all that space, and that's stored in "Built In" as Tony said.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

It could be pictures or video taking up all that space
    Good point! When I first got my 650 I was fooling with the camcorder trying it out and I thought I had deleted my effort. But when I next checked my free memory, I had like 35% free instead of my normal 55% free. I used FileZ to check the file sizes and sure enough there was a video sitting in main memory that was huge. I deleted it and my free memory went back up to 55%.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yes, use Filez and sort by file size. Look in RAM first, then look in "Built In"
    Thanks Khaytsus, I never knew about that built-in zone.

For others who dont know either: to see it, you first have to turn on the

"Show Hidden Volumes"

in the Filez prefs,

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Thanks Khaytsus, I never knew about that built-in zone.

For others who dont know either: to see it, you first have to turn on the

"Show Hidden Volumes"

in the Filez prefs,

cheers
    Can't seem to find "Show Hidden Volumes" anywhere. I looked everywhere in Options - Preferences. Can you guide me, or let me know what version you have. Many thanks
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Can't seem to find "Show Hidden Volumes" anywhere. I looked everywhere in Options - Preferences. Can you guide me, or let me know what version you have. Many thanks
    yes that where it is in mine, in v 6.8.3

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Thank you Geoff, I researched it after I asked you and found the 6.8.3 version; my installed version is 6.7 beta. I will upgrade when I get home. Thank you for answering so quickly.
  11.    #11  
    Great. Thanks for all the info.

I went into FileZ and I'll list what I have below (just the large files that are worth deleting). If you guys could tell me what I can delete, I'd really appreciate it. And if you could also tell me exactly what I would be deleting so I can be sure it's not something I want to keep, that would be helpful. And how to delete it as well. Thanks.

INTERNAL
    MultiMail Attach 4.5MB
    SMS Messages2 2.2MB
    NetFrontLib 1.3MB (locked and ROM (I'm assuming it's ROM; it has an icon of a computer chip next to it))
    Messages Databa 1.3MB
    Ton-Riiingwav 1.2MB (a .wav ringtone that I use)
    Ton-Hellowav 1.1MB (ditto)
    PhoneCallDB 983k
    J9 Java VM 884k
    WordView+ 794k
    J9 MIDP Bundle 725k
    MultiMail 701k (locked and ROM)
    Phone 666k (locked and ROM)
    SheetToGo 645k
    DALAcDc 640k (locked and ROM)
    MultiMail Messag... 602k
    Blazer 419k (locked and ROM)
    eReader 416k
    Boot 388k (locked and ROM)
    DocsToGo 352k (locked)
    CallFilter-VWCF 345k (locked)
    Photos-Foto 344k (locked and ROM)
    MMSTransport 319k (ROM)
    ImgFile 300k (ROM)
    CityDB 290k

OK. That's as far as I am going file size. Next is BUILTIN, however, some of them seem duplicates of the ones above. As some of you might know, the "%20" stands for a space in the file name.

BUILTIN
    PALM_DM
    MultiMail%20At... 4.5MB
    SMS%20Messag... 2.2MB
    Messages%20D... 1.3MB
    Ton-Riiingwav_... 1.2MB
    Ton-Hellowav_8... 1.1MB
    PhoneCallDB_84... 983k
    J9%20Java%20... 884k
    WordView+_880... 794k
    J9%20MIDP%20... 725k
    SheetToGo_850... 645k
    MultiMail%20M... 602k
    eReader_40000... 416k
    DocsToGo_8A00... 352k
    CallFilter-VWCF_... 345k
    CityDB_8C000000 290k
    WordToGoFonts... 275k
    BLAZER
    empty
    Photos & Videos
    empty
    AudibleAudio
    empty

OK. That's it. I have 2.2MB of free space right now.
    Last edited by LABachlr; 01/11/2008 at 02:36 AM.
    You could save several MB of space moving Docs 2 Go to your card, as Dollface said.

With that said, it looks like you might have some large attachments in your Versamail messages. Can you save them to the SD card? Is it really necessary to have 2 MB of sms messages? Then, obviously, you have some large ringtones. You could convert them from the wav format to ringtone format, which would save most of the space. These things would probably save around 10 MB of space, I would think. I run tons of apps, and I have 12 MB free on my Treo 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.