Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hi all, I gave up with my treo 650 and sold it on ebay.

I was only a few months old, but it was very buggy. In addition my g/f and I were changing to Verizon, I live in a rather fringe area for Sprint and service was not existant in my home. Additionally, I hate Sprint's Cust. Service, where Verizion is great! To add insult to injury, it took 10 years for Sprint to open a store with a repair depot in it, in my county. It was open but a few months and then it became an Embarq store. If I needed serive, I had to go drive 100 miles round trip! Since Verizion will eventually have the Centro, I wanted to know if it crashes like the 650 did?

One attraction to the Centro from the 650, is the price, my current LG 8300, is approx the same weight and hardly smaller than the centro and was the same price!!!!! With the centro you get a great calender such as Datebk, far better address book and a million or so it seems programs!

Thanks for any input, Jay

PS any idea when Verizion will bet the centro?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    My wife's Centro has 0 resets on it for the 2 weeks we have had it. If that is buggy, oh, well.

Ben
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It is less buggy than 650. I had a 650 and actually used it for over 2 years. It reseted about once every few days, sometimes reseted multiple times on the same day.

I have Centro for a few months now, and on average it resets once every few weeks. Also, some of the resets are not random. I know Google Map crashes when I have my Chinese program enabled, but forget about it once in a while. Most of the other resets were related to Blazer showing a fancy website, with a lot graphic and scripts.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Very stable. Best Palm os device I have had yet
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I have had mine for almost 30 days (well my second one, the first did come from a bad batch and went into powercycles) and it has only reset once and that was due to a IM program. So this device is very stable I would say.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks all. I hope the Verizon version of the Centro will prove to be as successful. I still hate Sprint! Take care and thanks again, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I hadn't heard that vzw is getting the centro...i've been stalking here, hofo and others. not even a rumor as yet. I hope u r right. after my expeience calling 911 tonight, Sprint is out of my life.

To answer the question, my Centro has been very stable. no complaints and prior to tonight I probably would have stuck with Sprint just to keep it.
    French, that sounds pretty serious. What happened? (I have no love for Sprint either, but I never thought it life-threatening!)

Verizon is usually silent prior to new product launches, so don't despair about the possibility they'll carry the Centro. That's what I'm waiting for.
    After my worthless 4th 700p, the Centro is a Godsend. No problems what so ever (3 weeks in).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    French, that sounds pretty serious. What happened? (I have no love for Sprint either, but I never thought it life-threatening!)

Verizon is usually silent prior to new product launches, so don't despair about the possibility they'll carry the Centro. That's what I'm waiting for.
    Now that I'm home and all is well again (I was posting from the ER before), I'm a little calmer, but in a nutshell I had to call 911 because when I came home from work my step son was nearly passed out over the kitchen sink, hemoraghing from his throat. He had his tonsils out on Monday and he had a complication. It was awful...I don't panic easily but this scared the crap out of me. So I called 911 and the combination of a not so nice dispatcher, and that I had to repeat my address 6 freaking times before he could understand me just irritates the crap out of me. Where I live Sprint is adequate. However, Verizon is outstanding. And in my case I've been on the fence because I go to a summer place where Sprint is very borderline. I was willing to put up with the borderline coverage at the summer place just for the Centro, but after last night I realize I can't afford borderline or adequate.

My only concern about verizon NOT carrying the Centro was that the 755P failed their testing so many times, that I have a small fear they may have decided no more Palm devices. I'm sure that while VZW users were frustrated as all get-out that the device took 8 months to come out, VZW, I would imagine, spent significantly more money in getting it out then they would have liked. I'm really glad to see Centro getting so many positive reviews and reports lately, because even if VZW wasn't sure, this might sway them towards carrying it.

At any rate, as much as I hate giving up my Centro, I'll be giving VZW a call to activate a new line of service and I'll just use an old cell phone I have laying around. I don't want to use my purchasing discount(s) on the 755P when I would much, MUCH rather have the Centro.

I just hope it doesn't take VZW 8 months to release the Centro.
    At my home too, Verizon's signal is great while Sprint's is awful. So I force roaming when I'm at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    At my home too, Verizon's signal is great while Sprint's is awful. So I force roaming when I'm at home.
    I was doing this at my old house as the signal was even worse there, but I gotta tell you it's a major PITA to remember to change it back and forth every day. Also, data connections can get wonky when you are roaming. At my parents' I bounce back and forth and even when I force to roaming, my data seems to constantly get dumped.

In my state of panic last night it didn't even occur to me to force roaming and THEN call 911.
    It is a PITA (10 button presses!), but I figure it's the trade-off for being able to get a Centro on SERO.

As for data, you can only get 1xrtt while roaming, so if I need data at home, I switch back to Sprint. I figure some day when Sprint makes that home antenna available in my area, I'll get that.
  14.    #14  
    DEAR FRENCH, I HOPE YOUR SON IS OK, MY SISTER HAD THE SAME THING, BUT IT HAPPENED AT 3 AM! THAT WAS YEARS AGO! I HOPE HE BOUNCES BACK AS WELL AS MY SISTER DID!

AS FOR ALL THE REST OF YOU, THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, (oops did not realize I was shouting)!!! take care and happy new year!!! jay
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Ditto here. Dropped calls on Sprint and none on Verizon at home for me aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    DEAR FRENCH, I HOPE YOUR SON IS OK, MY SISTER HAD THE SAME THING, BUT IT HAPPENED AT 3 AM! THAT WAS YEARS AGO! I HOPE HE BOUNCES BACK AS WELL AS MY SISTER DID!

AS FOR ALL THE REST OF YOU, THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, (oops did not realize I was shouting)!!! take care and happy new year!!! jay
    Thank you for the well wishes. He does seem to be doing much, much better. It's crazy, but we have been with him 24/7 since he had the surgery on Monday, BUT...his girlfriend had to leave at 4:00 to go to work and it just so happened I ended up leaving work about 20 minutes late that night. Doesn't it figure that THAT is when it happened to him. He was here alone for a good 10 minutes before I found him. Talk about feeling awful.

Anyway, he's on the mend, and I've got my phone on forced roaming and leaving it that way until I can get my VZW account. I figure I got nothing to lose...let Sprint cancel me for too much roaming. I'll miss the incredibly affordable price of Sero, but my family's safety and my peace of mind are worth the extra price of Verizon.

ETA: I don't think I ever answered the original question...my Centro is definitely stable and I love it. I had the 755P for about 3 months prior to the Centro and the Centro is definitely more stable than the 755P.
    I get a reset about once every week or two. Sudoku caused the last two in the past two weeks.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    MIne resets once a week usually when the nvfs ram gets low.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I'm taking my three week old unit to the Sprint store tomorrow to trade it either on a new one or a 755. So far I have had to do 2 master resets and need to do another one. Every time I add anything to my calendar or contacts I will have a normal sync with no error messages but the data won't sync over. So far the only stop gap has been to have Sprint tech support talk me through a major master reset complete with redoing my phone number and everything. Plus my battery life absolutely stinks. Unit also gets very hot if you talk on the phone for longish periods of time. I think I just have a buggy unit, hope they'll be able to swap it out for me since I'm still within my 30 days.
    My Centro is a big improvement over the 650 I upgraded from. Very stable with lots of previously annoying issues fixed.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast