Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering going from 700p to 755p and I'd like to go smoothly, maintaining as much functionality as possible.

    I have NVBackup and would like to know if anyone has ever transferred their backup set from 700p to 755p and if so how the experience was.

    Many thanks,

    David
  2. #2  
    I was told by our Corp. VZW rep that there really is no difference from the 700p to 755p, the OS is the same. We also use NVBackup and you can always do a selective restore of of 3rd party software to the 755p and not touch any OS components. We are waiting for newer smaller Treo's before switching.

    Good luck on the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    I'm considering going from 700p to 755p and I'd like to go smoothly, maintaining as much functionality as possible.

    I have NVBackup and would like to know if anyone has ever transferred their backup set from 700p to 755p and if so how the experience was.

    Many thanks,

    David
  3. #3  
    Selective restore, rather than full restore, would be the way to go, but I wouldn't do it.

    To upgrade to a new device, you should rename the backup folder in your Palm directory (so that hotsync won't find it when you hotsync your new device), then hotsync the new device. All your PIM information will be added to your new device. You should then install your apps individually. This is the cleanest way to do it.

    If you go the selective restore route, I did read a thread (perhaps at 1src) where someone was having trouble doing a selective restore from an older to newer device. I believe the issue had something to do with encrypted data. The developer was working with the poster to resolve the issue, but I don't recall seeing the resolution posted in that forum.

    Good luck!
  4. #4  
    Good point jigwashere. Question what would happen if you renamed the backup folder then hotsync to the new device as stated above then did a selective restore of only the 3rd party apps then did another hotsync. Would that screw things up?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoguy View Post
    Good point jigwashere. Question what would happen if you renamed the backup folder then hotsync to the new device as stated above then did a selective restore of only the 3rd party apps then did another hotsync. Would that screw things up?
    I don't think that'd be a problem. In fact, if you have both devices, why not just use IR or BT to send them from one to the other? That's what I did with my TX and 755p. It was pretty easy and quick.
  6. sundstrom's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #6  
    i'm actually thinking about doing this upgrade as well. what concerns should i have as opposed to just putting the 755p in the cradle and hotsyncing it? it'll ask the username, select it, and it will reinstall everything and sync to the new phone - at least i would think it would.

    this is what i did when i went from 650 to 700p two years ago and what i've done when my i had to swap my existing 700p for a new one 6 months ago.

    why wouldn't this route work again?
  7. #7  
    A direct hot sync to a existing userid will work for the same model Treo, but as an upgrade path ..... I would do a clean install. Iwill post a link when I return home to my PC.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/14/2008 at 03:47 PM.
  8. sundstrom's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A direct hot sync to a existing userid will work for the same model Treo, but as an upgrade path ..... I would do a clean install.
    i know the clean install route, but i'd rather not reinstall all 3rd party software and have to redo settings (of which there are many).

    what are your concerns when the 755p and 700p are the same OS and the same version (1.06)?
  9. #9  
    There were substantial concerns going from the 600 to the 650. A direct hot sync bricked the 650. Prior decivice settings can cause the newer device to act up.I have always followed the fresh is best philosophy. You can try the direct hot sync method, but if the new device starts resetting. . . . you may then have to do the clean install as a fix.

Posting Permissions