1.    #1  
    Unless I've missed it (and I've looked) there's no "Suggested threads for Treo 755p users" thread, sticky or otherwise.

Also I found no "Essential 755p apps" thread.

The 600 and 650 threads were extremely valuable. But there's lots of differences, so the old threads are limited in value to 755p users. Lots of the best add-ins are now included!

I'm sure all you power users want to share your knowledge!
    Frankly, the differences between the 700P, 680, 755 and Centro software wise are not substantial. What runs on one runs on the other. The problems encountered, if reported to the developer, are normally taken care of post haste. It would be another of many "suggested" threads that abound. As a note, my wife has a Centro and I a 700P.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    I respectfully disagree. Please link some of those threads if they "abound." If they already exist, they should be assembled and be put in a sticky.

Many users don't have the time to dig through every posting every day. Power users that have this info will want to share it.

Threads that 'abound' in a forum with frequent posts scroll quickly. In the week I've had my 755p, it's become clear that many needs of my 650 have been fixed.

Maybe it should be a "post 650" thread but I really think there's some major benefit to be had.
    Last edited by JoeCrumley; 01/02/2008 at 05:08 PM.
    Feel free to disagree; however, a search will produce a ton of information out there and no, there is no reason to dig through every posting every day. The search feature is rather customizable and cuts down on unnecessary posting. If something cannot be found after a search, then answer - lots of us have no problems answering questions. I have answered a few myself.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Yeah. Unnecessary posts.

Here's a great thread that's right on target:

What are the "Must Have" applications you have on your 755p?

Any more good ones?
    There is a sticky in the Palm Application's thead about the best Apps.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCrumley View Post
    Yeah. Unnecessary posts.

Here's a great thread that's right on target:

What are the "Must Have" applications you have on your 755p?

Any more good ones?
    Whatev!
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    There is a sticky in the Palm Application's thead about the best Apps.
    That's an amazing body of work.... It can be found here:

Quote Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
    Hmmm. That's even more on point, because it addresses the 755p-specific issue....but it's a competing forum....allowed?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCrumley View Post
    Hmmm. That's even more on point, because it addresses the 755p-specific issue....but it's a competing forum....allowed?
    The palm community is/was a tight group. Most users are members of multiple forums (BH/TC/PIC/1src/PA/PDA247/etc). I may have a post or two more at other forums (who can keep track) but I check all forums equally and usually find the same thread or info at each forum.

Oh, and don't trust that jig charecter
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalposter View Post
    Oh, and don't trust that jig charecter
    mp, are you stalking me?
    how about a "things you need to know and do one your first day" thread. coming from a windows mobile device to the 755p is a big jump in the opisite direction. not saying one is better than the other. just way different.

i have been looking for things like...

how to understand the file system on the POS
    best prefetence for things like blazer.
    must have hacks. (things like the showmites call duration screen thing)

even simple things like loading apps from your pc is weird. i found out the palm desktop and vista dont work nice together. i ended up just emailing the .prc's to my treo. still a big learning curve here.

i dont want to look like i am complaining, i love TC. palm or wm TC is the best. i just though i would find a more "FAQ" type thread for noobs.

i do belive that most 755 user were preveous 650 users, but not all of us.

2400 posts here and i'm a noob all over agian. i love it. lol

still searching....

PS; i will say that (best, peoples choice type) apps were easy to find
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I made the transition from WM to Palm OS, it is a little weird at first.

even simple things like loading apps from your pc is weird. i found out the palm desktop and vista dont work nice together. i ended up just emailing the .prc's to my treo. still a big learning curve here.
    I don't have problems on vista using palm desktop. Are you using the latest release? http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html

One thing to remember is if you are using MultiUserHack sometimes it will try to sync one of the other hotsync ID's instead. So after you do a sync, go into the Hotsync User Settings on your PC and rename the ID to your original phone Hotsync ID, now it will play nice.

Other than that I haven't really needed any hacks (just apps), and I modify all my phones a lot.

NVBackup (free) is a must. I backup my phone before every app install, then restore the backup if I don't like the app (instead of deleting it). If you do this I find that you won't need to really mess with the file system much at all (other than maybe moving things from storage card to ram or vice versa).

Filez(free) to view your file system.

I use TakePhone to replace the phone dial interface since I like the layout better.

I use Zlauncher with various themes to make the OS look better and easier to organize.

I use Butler. This app allows you to set alarms, remote lock, replace the screen lock when you power up the device from standby with Butler's version and several other features.

Lightspeed 3.0 is in beta for OC the cpu on the 755p.

Free AIM (Toccer)

Free MSN (ChitChat Lite) Of course there are paid multi/server chat clients, IM+, MunduIM (need a special beta version that works on the 755p), Chatopus, Causerie.
    Last edited by papped; 01/18/2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I made the transition from WM to Palm OS, it is a little weird at first.

I don't have problems on vista using palm desktop. Are you using the latest release? http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html

One thing to remember is if you are using MultiUserHack sometimes it will try to sync one of the other hotsync ID's instead. So after you do a sync, go into the Hotsync User Settings on your PC and rename the ID to your original phone Hotsync ID, now it will play nice.

Other than that I haven't really needed any hacks (just apps), and I modify all my phones a lot.

NVBackup (free) is a must. I backup my phone before every app install, then restore the backup if I don't like the app (instead of deleting it). If you do this I find that you won't need to really mess with the file system much at all (other than maybe moving things from storage card to ram or vice versa).

Filez(free) to view your file system.

I use TakePhone to replace the phone dial interface since I like the layout better.

I use Zlauncher with various themes to make the OS look better and easier to organize.
    thanks, i did just find the beta version of the desktop stuff you said. thanks.

i did use filez and NVbackup when i first got my 700p. i remembered that. right now that is really all i have on the treo. want to start off slow to keep it stable. not in a big hurry.

thanks for the app reccomendations though.

now, what about an explanition of this file system thing? why does my card have a "Palm" and a "dcim"? are those folders? then in the "palm" folder i have a "launcher" and a "programs" folder. where do i put stuff? what's the difference?

then in the "dcim' folder i have some files that i dont know how they got there. and i have another folder called "Palm"? weird.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    now, what about an explanition of this file system thing? why does my card have a "Palm" and a "dcim"? are those folders? then in the "palm" folder i have a "launcher" and a "programs" folder. where do i put stuff? what's the difference?

then in the "dcim' folder i have some files that i dont know how they got there. and i have another folder called "Palm"? weird.
    DCIM is your pictures folder, same file structure that you would see on a digital camera. DCIM>PALM is your Palm photo library folder on your SD Card. You have 2 photo libraries by default, one is on internal RAM, one is on SD Card (Both called Palm). You can edit/create new albums in "Pics&Videos".

The PALM folder on your SD card contains download files from Blazer, as well as other program data (Zlauncher, NVBACKUP, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    DCIM is your pictures folder, same file structure that you would see on a digital camera. DCIM>PALM is your Palm photo library folder on your SD Card. You have 2 photo libraries by default, one is on internal RAM, one is on SD Card (Both called Palm). You can edit/create new albums in "Pics&Videos".

The PALM folder on your SD card contains download files from Blazer, as well as other program data (Zlauncher, NVBACKUP, etc).
    ok, i am kind of understanding.

1. so there are no folders in the internal memory?

2. if "DCIM>palm" is the photo libary on sd card, what is the libary called in the "internal"? i dont see a "dcim" folder in the "internal". i dont even see a folder at all.

3. ram is the same as "internal" right?

4. both of my "dcim" folders are under the storage card. if i pop out my card all the "palm" and "dcim" folders go away.

5. what is with all the different (new to me) file types? non of these did i have on the darkside. (rsrc, pref, pmtl, libr, data, ect.) anything i should know or could know?

thanks angin for helping the noob, cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    ok, i am kind of understanding.

1. so there are no folders in the internal memory?

2. if "DCIM>palm" is the photo libary on sd card, what is the libary called in the "internal"? i dont see a "dcim" folder in the "internal". i dont even see a folder at all.

3. ram is the same as "internal" right?

4. both of my "dcim" folders are under the storage card. if i pop out my card all the "palm" and "dcim" folders go away.

5. what is with all the different (new to me) file types? non of these did i have on the darkside. (rsrc, pref, pmtl, libr, data, ect.) anything i should know or could know?

thanks angin for helping the noob, cody
    1. Nope (unless they are just not visible). Just various types of libraries/applications/database files, etc.

2. I believe they are stored in the PalmPhotoLib on internal. I could be wrong though.

3. Yes

4. You still have the internal PALM photo lib, even with the sd card out.

5. I don't know all of them, but libr is a library, pref are preferences. PRC's are program files, PDB's are Palm Database files. The only real reason you would need to know this stuff is if you are trying to remove an app and all of its associated databases/prefs/etc.