Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried this version of Garmin GPS software with a Bluetooth GPS unit?

I received a Freedom GPS for christmas and would love to us the Garmin software, but my Treo 750 isn't listed as supported, and the Mobile XT software is listed for use with GPS capable smartphones. Does it support Bluetooth GPS addons?

Otherwise it seems my software only options are Tom Tom, and Emtac, both more expensive, and arguably not as desireable.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have a 700P with and Bluetooth GPS Unit and the Garmin XT works fine. So yes you can use it with external units.

Michael
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvoss View Post
    I have a 700P with and Bluetooth GPS Unit and the Garmin XT works fine. So yes you can use it with external units.
    Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. What external BT GPS unit are you using with your 700p?

Paul
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Can This be Used on a Centro
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Paul,

I'm using a Belkin Unit I have had for about 3 years. I've been using this unit since I had a 600p.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TreoHappy View Post
    Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. What external BT GPS unit are you using with your 700p?

Paul
    Has anyone tried this version of Garmin GPS software with a Bluetooth GPS unit?

I received a Freedom GPS for christmas and would love to us the Garmin software, but my Treo 750 isn't listed as supported, and the Mobile XT software is listed for use with GPS capable smartphones. Does it support Bluetooth GPS addons?

Otherwise it seems my software only options are Tom Tom, and Emtac, both more expensive, and arguably not as desireable.
    There is a huge thread on Garmin Mobile XT for Palm devices here. Since the version to which you refer (that can be used with non-Garmin bluetoooth GPS units) is a new product, you only need to look at the last couple of pages of the thread. The bottom line is, yes, it works with non-Garmin units. (Note that Mobile XT has always worked ONLY with Bluetooth units, but until recently only with Garmin Bluetooth units.)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    There is a huge thread on Garmin Mobile XT for Palm devices here. Since the version to which you refer (that can be used with non-Garmin bluetoooth GPS units) is a new product, you only need to look at the last couple of pages of the thread. The bottom line is, yes, it works with non-Garmin units. (Note that Mobile XT has always worked ONLY with Bluetooth units, but until recently only with Garmin Bluetooth units.)
    I found that after I started this thread. Very helpful, thanks.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Just a note on the Mobile XT software only. You have to run it from the micro SD card it comes on. You can't copy it over oto your 4gb or 6gb cards. The software is locked to the card number. My advice is to just buy the Mobile XT package with the Garmin GPS because you load the maps from a DVD to your own card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Just a note on the Mobile XT software only. You have to run it from the micro SD card it comes on. You can't copy it over oto your 4gb or 6gb cards. The software is locked to the card number. My advice is to just buy the Mobile XT package with the Garmin GPS because you load the maps from a DVD to your own card.
    Not to mention that the additional cost of the Bluetooth GPS unit is minimal when you're buying the map database anyway. AND, if you buy the DVD map database + Bluetooth GPS unit, you can use that combo on as many Palm, Pocket PC and Windows PC devices as you want for no extra cost - the Bluetooth unit itself is the hardware key.
  10.    #10  
    Just wanted to follow up:

I chose the microSD card route, since I already had a Freedom Bluetooth GPS unit and didn't want to pay for another. The price difference I found is pretty significant ($130 for the one with the GPS verses the $75 I paid for the microSD version).

I would have liked the option to have a bigger microSD card. But 2GB will pretty much cover me, since I don't use my Treo for music. I just have a few pictures and use the card for BackUp Man to allow me to instantly restore my Treo in the case of emergency.

All that said, I simply copied the data from my old 2GB card onto the SanDisk card from Garmin (which had about .75GB free). Plugged the card in, ran the installer, and everthing just worked! It even came with the latest version 4.10.30, so I didn't need to upgrade it. It instantly found my Freedom GPS unit, and I was off and running. Start to finish it took about 10 minutes to install and get running, including copying my personal files over.

I've only used it 3 times so far, but I've found the Garmin software to be quite responsive and without any issues at all. I am quite please with this combination.

Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kg6bki View Post
    Can This be Used on a Centro
    Yes, it works perfectly on my Centro.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    $75 is a good price for just the software if you already have the BT GPS. I only have a 2gb micro SD card and have about a gig of music on it. 750 megs left over is not bad, at least it gives you something left over for programs and pics.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I recently purchased the Freedom GPS with Garmin Mobile XT combo, using with the 755P. Enough time has passed to share some thoughts... So far I have been very impressed!

The Freedom GPS works great, I'd concur with the reviews and other posts...it locks onto satellites quickly and even keeps a connection inside my house. Next to having GPS included with the Treo (ahem 900p) it's very convenient having it on a key chain...it really IS smaller than my remote lock. Also, it detaches easily with a clasp ring and works in your pocket.

I researched and purchased the software to use as a GPS novice. I read a number of reviews and some of the posts here before buying. It came down to price and overall compatibility when going with Garmin's Mobile XT software.

I've used Garmin in rentals, so am familiar with the logic. It has voice, but instead of street names, it will tell you to turn left, right, etc and give the distance. Street names are apparent on the map in large type, so that makes the point a small one for my needs. I like that it has a choice of modes ie. walking, driving, boating etc. Using it earlier in walk mode when I had chosen a destination to drive to, the logic recognized movement too fast for walking and prompted me to switch. It also changed the route...it had me walking a route through a park that I obviously would have trouble driving. Pretty cool.

A clear advantage of using GPS on a Treo is online accessibility to update the latest information. This is invaluable; among other examples, it accurately provides price information for the grade of gas at stations in the area. When I stop to get gas, I have the 'oh cool' moment seeing the gas price is actually accurate (and the cheapest around).

The one downside to Garmin Mobile XT is that it comes on a 2GB disk and it will take a bit of work to move it onto a larger disk. If you're okay with swapping disks each time you want to use it, that's fine. For me, I have too much on my SD, and Mobile XT takes over 1.2 Gb of space.
    A little searching lead me to the attached text file info on suggestions for how to move the data you own. Again, other software lets you copy from a DVD, so it seems like Garmin should get with the program on this issue.

A couple of other things, somewhere else on the boards, but I'll put here again:
    You can download WhereAmI.prc, http://mytreo.net/downloads/where-am-i,1172.html, which integrates with GoogleMaps. Version 1.2.0.9 of GoogleMaps doesn't support using GPS but this little app finds your location and pinpoints it for Google.

To mount in the car, I had issues with the Seidio car mount I've had for some time. This was a good excuse to change to something with better quality. The Seidio Holster cuts out the speaker when the Treo's Athena connector is snapped in, and it has annoyed me for the last time. At BestBuy I found a cheap alternative with the Bracketron Grip-It air vent universal pedestal mount (about $10). For a new charger, the JustWireless mobile charger has adapters for both the Treo and the Freedom GPS (which uses mini-USB like the Blackberry).

Hope this information helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Garmin has posted Version 5 software for Palm (as well as other platforms)

See: http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-11034-00
    ^Nice! Looks pretty fancy and improved - some new features according to the 'changes' list. I just hope this fixes the issue with the receiver locking up and won't power up without a battery reboot. I'll report back when I get a chance to use it for a few days. Thanks for the heads up.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stannenb View Post
    Garmin has posted Version 5 software for Palm (as well as other platforms)

See: http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-11034-00
    Wow. Thanks for the heads-up!
    So far so good! I like the new UI and the added Google Local. I haven't gotten the dreaded 'Lost Satellite Reception' prompt while in plain view of the sky which usually leads to a locked up receiver. Still testing and keeping fingers crossed.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Still testing and keeping fingers crossed.
    Please do come back and let us know. I really like XT on my 680 and don't want to do anything that would screw it up.

Thanks again for the updates.
    I don't have any reciever lockup on my Phone.. Using an I.trek reciever.
    Just wanted to follow up:

I chose the microSD card route, since I already had a Freedom Bluetooth GPS unit and didn't want to pay for another. The price difference I found is pretty significant ($130 for the one with the GPS verses the $75 I paid for the microSD version).

I would have liked the option to have a bigger microSD card. But 2GB will pretty much cover me, since I don't use my Treo for music. I just have a few pictures and use the card for BackUp Man to allow me to instantly restore my Treo in the case of emergency.

All that said, I simply copied the data from my old 2GB card onto the SanDisk card from Garmin (which had about .75GB free). Plugged the card in, ran the installer, and everthing just worked! It even came with the latest version 4.10.30, so I didn't need to upgrade it. It instantly found my Freedom GPS unit, and I was off and running. Start to finish it took about 10 minutes to install and get running, including copying my personal files over.

I've only used it 3 times so far, but I've found the Garmin software to be quite responsive and without any issues at all. I am quite please with this combination.

Thanks for all your help.

Where did you get it for that price?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast