1.    #1  
    I just got a used GSM Treo 650...I don't know what other info you will need.

ok so i have done allot of reading on the subject of custom ROM.
    I have my ROM backed up using the www.grack.com Rom Tool.
    I am not experienced enough to just go start striping down my own ROM yet, so I wanted to just use one someone else already created.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=195
    I found this one, and was wondering if it will work for my phone?
    also can i install it using the Rom Tool, of do i have to do the SD card method?

thanks for the help, I have done allot of reading on my own, and just need to check before I proceed. If this ROM won't work, where can i get one that will?
  2.    #2  
    well i tried them, and it said they don't have a boot file, or something, so i guess they have to be installed via sd card?

dose anyone know where i can get a already striped custom ROM?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesteve151 View Post
    well i tried them, and it said they don't have a boot file, or something, so i guess they have to be installed via sd card?dose anyone know where i can get a already striped custom ROM?
    I always do my own stripping, so I havent really looked into the custom ones like these, but anything that was posted that recently by James should definitely be loadable by the ROM Tool.

At what point are you getting this message about the lack of a boot file?

Good to know you have a got a back-up. For my ROM modifications,
    I always do changes in block fashion (eg remove all non-english language files), and then check that the changes dont cause any problem, before moving onto the next block.

For each block of changes, I set up one master folder, into which Iput

* a back-up of the existing ROM b4 the mod
    * a folder with any files Ive added
    * a folder with any files Ive deleted

All the Master folders are named so as to be organised in chronological sequence, so i know the entire history of what has been done (ive done about 12 blocks of changes to date).

If you proceed in that fashion, its hard to go wrong.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Is your phone Cingular branded? It will have a different ROM (and partition size) than the unbranded ones. Tell us what firware and software you are using. That information is in the Phone application under Options>Phone Info. Also, tell us what you want taken out and left in the custom ROM and we might be able to help.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Is your phone Cingular branded? It will have a different ROM (and partition size) than the unbranded ones. Tell us what firware and software you are using. That information is in the Phone application under Options>Phone Info. Also, tell us what you want taken out and left in the custom ROM and we might be able to help.
    yes it is a cingular branded phone off of ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=019

it has Palm OS Garnet V.5.4.8

it has 23.7M total on the phone right now.

i only need English language on it.
    i want to remove
    Quick Tour
    Xpress Mail
    Get Good
    Versa Mail
    Web
    Welcome

i don't use the internet, i just make calls, and txt, so anything else used for internet only i would also like to get rid of.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Due to a few that have had trouble I am posting a link to the exact SD updater I use to convert our inhouse Cingular branded Treo's into ENA versions with the 7.1MB ROM partition. This will update all tokens and firmware. From here you can modify using the ROM Tool to your hearts content.

Link:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/17163992...NG_to_ENA.html

This is for "unbranding" not "unlocking". Unbranding allows you to use the generic version of a Treo ROM. For instance you have a Cingular Treo and you want to run the latest 1.20 ENA version.

There are a couple of options to do this.

The first is to modify the Tokens that cause the updaters not to work. These tokens are revn(ex. 1.20) and crnm(ex. ENA). The RomTool allows you to change these tokens. Once changed to match you can then run the desired updater. Example: You have 1.17-CNG, you want 1.20-ENA. If you change the token values from 1.17 to 1.20 and CNG to ENA, you can then run the 1.20 updater. This is the way I recommend.

Another option is to run a custom ROM already put together for the version you want. These do not check versions.

Last option is to run one of Palm's updaters that doesn't check, 1.23 version (I believe).
    do i need to unbrand the phone first?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I always do my own stripping, so I havent really looked into the custom ones like these, but anything that was posted that recently by James should definitely be loadable by the ROM Tool.

At what point are you getting this message about the lack of a boot file?

Good to know you have a got a back-up. For my ROM modifications,
    I always do changes in block fashion (eg remove all non-english language files), and then check that the changes dont cause any problem, before moving onto the next block.

All the Master folders are named so as to be organised in chronological sequence, so i know the entire history of what has been done (ive done about 12 blocks of changes to date).

If you proceed in that fashion, its hard to go wrong.

cheers
    that is some good advice thanks.

it says it has no boot files right after i select it, and it dose the check.
    it also asks if i'm sure this is a rom zip?
  8.    #8  
    update.
    i did a Zero-out reset, because the mem was full. (1.2m free...lol) i guess it had allot of stuff from the last owner.
    so i am about to unbrand the phone, then i will post up the ver, ect.
    also going to back it up again
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post

wow i am starting to strip my rom, and i give you props about the advice for setting up folders it is helping me keep orginized.

i have just striped down my rom to the programs i need, and have done the 8GB SDHC mod can a 16GB card be used?? because i might as well just buy a 16GB instead of an 8GB if the 16GB one will work, any brands i should use?

this is allot easier than i thought, but i think it is because i did my reasearch
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    proceeding carefully is definitely the way to go!! glad to hear you have realised how easy it is to strip.

yes 16GB will work, ill upgrade myself from 8gb sometime in the future. Im already finding the 8 a bit restrictive!! 32gb is the upper limit for fat32, but SDHC cards of this size have not appeared yet, and may not be economic for quite a while after they first hit the scene.

Cant tell you which 16gb is best, there are few threads around on that, but it is important to try and find out, and buy the one that seems to be the fastest (measuring speed seems more of an art than a science), since numerous aspects of performance are affected by card speed. Of course reliability has to be taken into account too. Ive been very happy with every transcend card ive used. Newegg is a good place to start. Avoid ebay or any cheap supplier like the plague for cards, since it is a market heavily targeted by fraudsters

cheers, and Happy new year!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.