Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hello All,

I've been getting by with my Treo 600 and an iPod mini. But this morning the iPod died.

I realize the iPod Touch has some pretty fantastic features, but I'm not sure I want to drop $300 on a new gadget right now. Based on what my needs are (below), do you think a Centro would do a pretty good job for me?

I download and listen to mainly spoken-word podcasts and audio books from Audible.com. I have a few tunes as well, but that's not my focus. Is Pocket Tunes Deluxe a good enough replacement for iTunes?

Right now, I have to use that funky extra Radio Shack jack with the 600 to connect between the body of the unit and my headphones. With the Centro, can you just plug your headphones right in?

I also enjoy YouTube videos - right now, I download to .FLV, convert, shrink to Treo 600 size and then play with MMPlayer. Kind of a painful process but worth it. Would I be able to get YouTube mobile with the Centro or some other similar function? Can you bookmark a video in progress?

From the pictures I've looked at, it looks like the Centro viewing screen is actually a little smaller than the Treo's (although with the better resolution from my 600, it would probably still be a good tradeoff). Does anyone find the screen too small for watching videos?

Hey, I really appreciate your taking time to read this (and maybe respond). I'd much rather get the scoop from 'the community' than just another sales person who may or may not be giving me correct info.

Thanks!
    I realize the iPod Touch has some pretty fantastic features, but I'm not sure I want to drop $300 on a new gadget right now. Based on what my needs are (below), do you think a Centro would do a pretty good job for me?

I think so. Sprint is the only carrier right now that has the Centro.

I download and listen to mainly spoken-word podcasts and audio books from Audible.com. I have a few tunes as well, but that's not my focus. Is Pocket Tunes Deluxe a good enough replacement for iTunes?

I think it should work. You might need to do a few extra steps to set it up. Here's a link on the how-to. I'm not sure if it it automatically bookmarks, like it does on an ipod.

Right now, I have to use that funky extra Radio Shack jack with the 600 to connect between the body of the unit and my headphones. With the Centro, can you just plug your headphones right in?

Should work, though it didn't work for me for some reason with those same Radio Shack jack.

I also enjoy YouTube videos - right now, I download to .FLV, convert, shrink to Treo 600 size and then play with MMPlayer. Kind of a painful process but worth it. Would I be able to get YouTube mobile with the Centro or some other similar function? Can you bookmark a video in progress?

I don't know much about that, either, but to save you the trouble, you can get Kimona to play any youtube video steamed to your phone. (take that, iphone!)

From the pictures I've looked at, it looks like the Centro viewing screen is actually a little smaller than the Treo's (although with the better resolution from my 600, it would probably still be a good tradeoff). Does anyone find the screen too small for watching videos?

It is smaller, but you get used to it. To me, my centro is the size of a phone should be. . . I always thought Treo's were too big, so I never bought one. When the Centro came out, I was pretty happy!

Hey, I really appreciate your taking time to read this (and maybe respond). I'd much rather get the scoop from 'the community' than just another sales person who may or may not be giving me correct info.

No problem. And tell us what you decide to do. Visit a store that has the Centro and check it out in person. Also, read some reviews online, too.

If you are going to be a new Sprint Customer, or if you're sprint contract expired, check out www.sprint.com/sero. Here's a useful link about the Sprint's Sero program.

Good luck.
    -Edm203

Palm Centro
    The centro still has the 2.5 mm jack which is standard for phone headsets. The 3.5 mm jack is standard for audio equipment and not found on the centro.