1.    #1  
    I've gone through site after site and I can't find anything that'll let me create my own themes!? Is there any program out there that'll let me do this?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    So over 60 people have gone into this thread and not a single response? I know people don't want to mess with the way it looks, but come on. I like a little variety. Is there no single app out there that can help me do this? I noticed on zztechs.com that they had some themes. Well, how did they make them? I know it's not that hard to copy and paste.

Thanks.
    There are launchers (Zlauncher, Megalauncher, LauncherX) and there
    are themes for them, there are themes for the Phone app floating on the web, there are two apps that skin the whole interface of Palm OS (skinui, palmrevolt), there are also small ones that change colors (colorize, for example).
    Probably there are no answers cause ppl cant figure out what themes you are reffering to.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Since you asked about ZL specifically: a ZL "look" derives from at least four components:

1. The "theme" or skin that controls the look of all the (nearly 400!) doo-dads (tabs/scroll-bars/etc). There are many existing ones to choose from e.g. see:]

Leslie Franke's amazing free stuff at:
    http://lesliefranke.com/download/files.php?cat=5

or

HPSkinStudio lets you edit existing themes, or create entirely new ones (and also those available for PalmRevolt) and this wonderful app is only $5 now.

2. The icon set used for application icons. Many pre-existing sets exist(e.g. see Franke site above). I believe you can create your own using the ZL third-party app Iconfactory.

3. The background that sits behind the app icons. Franke's site has nice ones, but you can use any image of your own.

4. The settings within ZL itself, by which you select the specific theme, icon set and background that you want, and many, many other fine details of the display.

There are probably also ways to alter the fonts used by ZL, but I dont know about that.

cheers,

May the New Year bring you a very different looking ZL!
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 12/29/2007 at 07:56 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Since you asked about ZL specifically: a ZL "look" derives from at least four components:

1. The "theme" or skin that controls the look of all the (nearly 400!) doo-dads (tabs/scroll-bars/etc). There are many existing ones to choose from e.g. see:]

Leslie Franke's amazing free stuff at:
    http://lesliefranke.com/download/files.php?cat=5

or

HPSkinStudio lets you edit existing themes, or create entirely new ones (and also those available for PalmRevolt) and this wonderful app is only $5 now.

2. The icon set used for application icons. Many pre-existing sets exist(e.g. see Franke site above). I believe you can create your own using the ZL third-party app Iconfactory.

3. The background that sits behind the app icons. Franke's site has nice ones, but you can use any image of your own.

4. The settings within ZL itself, by which you select the specific theme, icon set and background that you want, and many, many other fine details of the display.

There are probably also ways to alter the fonts used by ZL, but I dont know about that.

cheers,

May the New Year bring you a very different looking ZL!
    Thanks. One question. I went to a site a looked up the HPSkinStudio. It says that the centro does not accept this. Is this true? I want to buy it but don't want to spend money on something that's not compatible.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I havent seen any information one way or the other, so Im not sure and, not having a Centro, I'm not in a rush to find out. My apologies for implying that it would work for the Centro. I would be interested to know of the link you mention.

You can DL a free trial of HPS from here, so the only thing you will be wasting if it doesnt work is yr time. But time is obviously not an issue for you, or for anyone who is considering reworking a ZL theme. I would never have the patience to do it myself (and I dont have the graphics arts expertise required either) - Im just interested in it theoretically.

In any case the exercise would give you a good idea of what a theme comprises.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Interesting how that particular program is $30 at one location but is $5 at another.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Interesting how that particular program is $30 at one location but is $5 at another.
    It used to be $30 everywhere, but the developer has stopped work on it, and is fair-minded enough to work on the basis that an unsupported program is of less value, although in this case, I think he has gone too far! As to why some sites havent caught up with his offer, I dont know.

I think anyone who either reworks skins, or writes apps to do so, must approach it mainly as a labour of love, and thats definitely the impression one gets about Monsieur Herve Pulluard.

Poch: HP SkinStudio uses, as one of its "engines", PFCD (by Festus440 of 1src) to decompile and recompile .prc's. Maybe the Centro-problematic issues of HPS derive from other aspects of its operation and PFCD alone does its job ok? Unlikely, but possible. Anyway that site is worth checking, because Festus440 is also the author of the ZL IconFactory, and other useful resources in this area.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.