1.    #1  
    My first post so go easy on me . I bought a Treo 650, unlocked and I use it on the AT&T prepaid network(the prepaid monthly plan). My question is, is there any way to "force" it to allow me to send/receive pics and to get online to check emails? Called AT&T and they said I'd need to have a regular plan along with data plan to at least do that...really? Since the Treo is a "smart"phone it's in a whole other ballgame. So.....is this absolutely true because I got the phone specifically to get online and check emails. I know the easy answer is to get a regular plan but I like the option of NOT being in a contract. Eventhough it's still a monthly plan, I won't be penalized if I cancel...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    The greatest help I can give you would be advice about how to make a thread. Your thread title should reflect your question. For example, your title could have been "Can I use data on a prepaid plan on a Treo 650?"

The reason is, most people only read threads that interest them, or threads in which they think they can be helpful. When someone scans down the threads, they have no clue what you want if you just put a title like "Force!!!" So you will be much more likely to get the help you seek if you use a better thread title.

To answer your question, I do not think you can use data (such as email) without a data plan. Just a prepaid phone plan will not do data, as far as I know.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    <adjusted title>
    If you know what the wap settings for AT&T phones maybe you can try that but it may be blocked or limited.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Yes you can. I use a GoPhone monthly plan on my 650, and have the unlimited MediaNet package and it works great. It's not going to break any land speed records but it its good especially if you stay away from image intensive sites. Since my phone is a Cingular phone, I already have the proper WAP settings, but if your phone is unlocked and not Cingular you can get the settings by searching here or the web.

Good luck.
    AT&T refers to the no-plan plan as the "pay as you go" plan, and charges an arm and a leg per kilobyte to do it that way. But last time I asked, you could change your data plan every month, i.e. use unlimited this month, change to pay-as-you-go next month, without limit.

But the way they price it--no plan is going to cost you a bloody fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellie650 View Post
    My first post so go easy on me . I bought a Treo 650, unlocked and I use it on the AT&T prepaid network(the prepaid monthly plan). My question is, is there any way to "force" it to allow me to send/receive pics and to get online to check emails? Called AT&T and they said I'd need to have a regular plan along with data plan to at least do that...really? Since the Treo is a "smart"phone it's in a whole other ballgame. So.....is this absolutely true because I got the phone specifically to get online and check emails. I know the easy answer is to get a regular plan but I like the option of NOT being in a contract. Eventhough it's still a monthly plan, I won't be penalized if I cancel...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like the plan you want is the plan that I have on my iPhone. It is prepaid monthly, charged to a credit card, with a $20/ month additional for unlimited data. I am so pleased with it that I plan to ask for it for my Treo. I will let you know how I make out.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    I bought a refurb 750 from AT&T with a pay-as-you-go plan. They told me I could get unlimited data month to month. But, now they tell me I can't and I have to pay $5 for 1 MB or $10 for 5 MB. If I can't get unlimited for $30 (or hopefully less) I am returning the phone. Any ideas how to do it? I don't want to add money to my account if it won't work. Thx
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I bought a refurb 750 from AT&T with a pay-as-you-go plan. They told me I could get unlimited data month to month. But, now they tell me I can't and I have to pay $5 for 1 MB or $10 for 5 MB. If I can't get unlimited for $30 (or hopefully less) I am returning the phone. Any ideas how to do it? I don't want to add money to my account if it won't work. Thx
    Maybe the plan that I have is only available to iPhone customers. By the time that I got around to doing something about my Treo, I just cut back on minutes and dropped data altogether. The iPhone is so superior to the Treo for data applications that I no longer care about data on the Treo.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.