1.    #1  
    I had posted before about how my Treo 680 was accumulating dust/dirt under the screen. I've attached a photo to show exactly how it looks (sorry for the flash, but you'll get the idea). I've had this phone for about 7 months, after returning the 1st one I received for the same issue.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_1039.jpg

So, who else have seen dirt patterns like this?

Check new post for update....
    Last edited by DurtyD; 01/15/2008 at 07:24 PM.
    And I replied to this before as well. Mine is not quite so bad but it's getting there. When you posted about getting a replacement I considered it too but thought against it fearing that something else would be broken/not functional and that the original problem was not fixed. So, I'm just living with it for now, waiting for a worthy replacement for Palm OS...
    Don't you guys have warrenty? If so, Palm will cover it.

That dust line is caused from screen protectors ... all the dust from your housing frame and screen protector is forcing itself into the LCD screen, either from the top or bottom.

I have a very "light" dust line also, in that area. Mine is out of warrenty ... once I found that out, I yanked that screen protector and now the dust line hasn't grown thicker and stayed the same.

F*CK Screen protectors, they made things worse for everyone. Also, the material Palm used to protect the LCD is super tough and hard to scratch.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 12/29/2007 at 04:58 AM.
    I had the same issue and PALM flatly refused to warrenty it. I tried 3-4 times to get them to replace mine.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

5.    #5  
    I am not using a screen protector on my Treo (I'm assuming you are using the term as a 3rd party add on or the original plastic film that came with the phone). I can only assume that dust/dirt is coming in from the earpiece as you can see it accumulates heavily in the middle.

And yes, I do have a warranty, though don't know how long it was (6 months? 1 year?). I did get my 1st unit replaced very easily by Palm, but with all of their financial troubles as of late, I can see them trying to limit or deny things like this.

I do plan to give them a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    I am not using a screen protector on my Treo (I'm assuming you are using the term as a 3rd party add on or the original plastic film that came with the phone). I can only assume that dust/dirt is coming in from the earpiece as you can see it accumulates heavily in the middle.

And yes, I do have a warranty, though don't know how long it was (6 months? 1 year?). I did get my 1st unit replaced very easily by Palm, but with all of their financial troubles as of late, I can see them trying to limit or deny things like this.

I do plan to give them a call.
    Good luck homie.
    Yes, the dust line I spoke of in this thread looks almost exactly as in your photo. It seems to be getting worse.
  8.    #8  
    I finally got off my lazy ****, and called Palm with my problem. Looking at my paperwork, I saw I ordered the 680 on 1/15/2007, so it's exactly one year, and I was a bit hesitant about the warranty.

I'm not sure how they count the warranty time, but I didn't have any issues with them about my phone. They may have been looking at the fact that the 1st phone with the problem was replaced back in May, and counted time from them....who knows.

The 1st call I made I was talking to a rep, gave her my information, and then was transferred to AT&T which is not correct since mine is an unlocked unit.

The 2nd call I made I gave the rep my information, and she told me I had to do a hard reset. Of course, that makes no sense at all since my issue is a hardware one only.....but the lady would not let me proceed without doing it. Since this is my only phone, I had to hang up and call back.

The 3rd call I made (5 minutes later), I finally was able to get the information down and set up the return/exchange. I am doing the one where I am paying $25 for them to ship a refurb unit, and then I ship mine back to them. The other option is free, but you send your phone to the return center, they fix it, and return it to you. Without a decent backup (an old Nokia 6590), I decided to pay the money.

Then I'll get to see if this happens to me a 3rd time. I never heard of a phone that is kept in a pocket have so many problems like this.