1.    #1  
    I finally called Palm support on the ringtones, and was informed that the 755 only supported mp3 ringtones, and only with 3rd party software. I told her the manual stated it would recognize aac, along with some others. She again said "Sir, it only supports mp3". So I asked wasn't the fact that the manual said it supported aac a misrepresentation of the capabilities of the phone, and she promptly hung up on me. Great customer service. So, I called Sprint customer support to ask about making the outgoing email work with their SMTP server. I got great help from Sprint and got my email on the 755 working fine now. I also asked about ringtones, and he did some research (didn't really find anything) but he did say he thought the manual might be wrong. That would not be surprising. Ultimately, I downloaded some software that lets me use mp3 ringtones. It sure would be nice to use aac though, as they appear to be a bit smaller. If anyone is loading anything other than mp3 to the 755 I sure would be curious to know how it is done.

Kudo's to Sprint service though. Not what I am used to. By the way,the local Sprint store was pretty much useless on this issue.
    I've been using MP3 ringers since the Treo600. I have some MP3 file reduction tips. Keep a separate version of the ringers at a lower bit rate in a ringers folder on your SD card. I've also used a free program called MP3 Trim to cut off the songs after about 1min. Since VM will pick up the call by then, you don't need to use the whole song as a ringer.

As for Customer Support at a Sprint store, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Power users make up a small % of their customers and we're more likely to use sites like this for troubleshooting and technical questions so they're just not expected to handle high-end smartphone questions. They mainly handle new account setups and service related questions on the phone's their practically giving away.

Hope this helps.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    As for Customer Support at a Sprint store, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Power users make up a small % of their customers and we're more likely to use sites like this for troubleshooting and technical questions so they're just not expected to handle high-end smartphone questions. They mainly handle new account setups and service related questions on the phone's their practically giving away.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, agree. Although they were friendly enough, just not very knowledgeable. I'm using minitones now for mp3's and it works pretty well. Still have a lot to learn about the phone, but so far I really like it.
    AAC files will work as ring tones with the 755. I just created and sent one to my phone last night, and it worked just fine. I use Audacity to convert an Mp3 to mono and 16 bit. With these settings, a 20 second ring tone is only about 150k while still maintaining the sound quality. I use Itunes to convert the Mp3 to AAC. I then use funformobile.com to send it to my phone, as an sms. When i retrieve it, the sound automatically goes into my sound files to be used as a ringtone.

I do it this way because Mp3 files, even created with Minitones, can be quite the memory hogs.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    When i retrieve it, the sound automatically goes into my sound files to be used as a ringtone.
    I must be doing something wrong I suppose. When I send the aac to my phone using http://rumkin.com/tools/sprint/upload.php as SMS, I can download it, but the phone says unknown format (or something like that), and when I download it, it goes to the download folder on the card. It does not go to the sound directory. How can I get to the sound directory? Is that in the phone itself and not on the card? I'm still finding my way around this phone.

Another thing... I have a copy of audacity, but I don't see an option for converting to aac format. I have been using a web service page to do it. I have audacity 1.3 beta, relatively new.

Tnx
    Last edited by dlwilliams48; 12/31/2007 at 06:06 AM.
    Is the SMS truncating the file so it is no longer complete?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Is the SMS truncating the file so it is no longer complete?

I don't think so. It shows in the folder as being the same length as the file on the computer directory.
    I have never tried Rumkin but have successfully used Sprints focus uploader and funformobile.com. I use Audacity only to make my Mp3 16bit. I then use Itunes to convert it to AAC. Try an uploader besides Rumkin.
  9.    #9  
    I tried using funformobile to upload a short aac file and it worked. I did notice that it "converted" or renamed my file from aac to m4a file type. Maybe that was the problem all along. Also, aac is only a bit smaller than mp3. Converting my mp3 to aac the size went from 185kb to 153kb. It also saved it on the phone rather than the card.

Thanks for the help.
    Welcome to the world of unlimited ringtone choices.