Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I picked up a Kingston 4GB mini SD from Buy.com and it died within a couple days. I got a replacement from Kingston on Christmas Eve and now this one is dead. Is this typical or is it possible that my 755p is frying these cards? The same thing happened to both of them. They were fine for a couple days before they weren't able to be recognized by my 755p and/or two different card readers.

Anyone else having this problem?
    It might be your phone, I've been using mine trouble free for a couple of weeks now and all is good. I would take it to a sprint store and see if they can find anything wrong. The chances that you got two bad cards is pretty slim.
  3.    #3  
    ^Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll take it in tomorrow and see if they can figure it out. I submitted another RMA request to Kingston - I hope they'll give me another replacement.

Strangely, though, I've been using my Sandisk 2MB micro card for over a month since I got my 755p and I haven't had a single problem with it.
    I also got my Kingston 4GB from buy.com and had no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKoni View Post
    ^Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll take it in tomorrow and see if they can figure it out. I submitted another RMA request to Kingston - I hope they'll give me another replacement.

Strangely, though, I've been using my Sandisk 2MB micro card for over a month since I got my 755p and I haven't had a single problem with it.
    I am afraid to use my replacement 4gb. I am sticking with the nonSDHC 2gb. I am not sure if I trust my data to these cards again. I lost some important stuff. My fault for not backing up the card more often.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I have gone through 2 Kingston and 1 Toshiba 4gig miniSD SDHC cards. I now only use 2 gig miniSD. Something is definitely wrong. There are other threads about this on this site and others. Additionally, my 2 gig miniSD disappears randomly and only reappears after a soft reset.
  7.    #7  
    Okay, this is interesting. I'm being told that because I purchased my phone from Sprint.com there are only two places in Michigan I can take it for a return, exchange or repair -- Portage or East Lansing -- which are both around an hour away. I am also being told that even if I was eligible for a swap out of my 755p that there is only one 755p available in Michigan, which is in Midland (over two hours away). Seriously, can this be right?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have a Crucial 2 GB card that works fine on my Mac desktop and my Treo. However, a Transcend 4 GB and a recently delivered Kingston 4 GB card do not show up on my desktop as a separate drive for data transfer. The Transcend shows up on my Windows Vista laptop, but that would be incompatible with Mac. Right?
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    No problems with a Patriot 4 GB Mini SDHC in my 755p or connected my Mac via a USB card reader.

BUT - glenada - are you using an SD card reader? SDHC cards will NOT work in an SD card reader because (I'm pretty sure, and I'm 100% sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the SD card standard is valid only up to 2 GB; you'll need an SDHC card reader for 4 GB and larger cards. (Which is surprising then if Vista is able to read an SDHC card using an SD card reader - can you read the full 4 GB?)
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I have a Crucial 2 GB card that works fine on my Mac desktop and my Treo. However, a Transcend 4 GB and a recently delivered Kingston 4 GB card do not show up on my desktop as a separate drive for data transfer. The Transcend shows up on my Windows Vista laptop, but that would be incompatible with Mac. Right?
    I have a Kingston 4 Gb SDHC which is defenitly faster than the 2 GB Crucial I started with. I Googled, ued other search ngines, searched these forums, and n real clear answer, in regards to compability, best way to format, etc.

I have a MacBook Pro with Xp, Vista (Joke!) Win 2k3 server and Debian Linux. I have succesfully formatted the card for experimental purpoes in XP and Linux.
    Honestly, both the crucial and the kingston appear on my desktop (Intel Core/Duo 2/16 using Paralells not BootCamp) and i use DiskUtility and choose 'Ms Dos" file system. It formats the 4 GB card in about 2 minutes and seems to work fine.

The last time I tried (following advice on a Palm OS forum) to format it in my 755 it hung for 15 minutes before I gave up.

I'm not gonna give my whole history with cell phones in general (I know a ton) or my unfortunate experiences with treo 650, 700 and now 755P, but it appears that Flash Memory is like cell phones, in regards to QA and workmanship; sometimes you get lucky but unfortunately there are way too many bad products out there.
    Hopefuly things will improve for T.R.E.O 9Try to Reset Every One) as well as flash memory.

I also use a Dyno usb card reader that, although it doesn't say it on the box, it does support SDHC - the better card.

Hope this sheds some light
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice -- perhaps my card reader(s) don't support SDHC.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Vista natively supports SDHC. There is a hotfix for XP to support SDHC on 'some' card readers but not all. You can get an SDHC card reader for about $10.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Yeah my vista laptop has an sd card reader built in and it sucks because sdhc cards don't work in it. If it wasn't for Card Reader (the program) working so well I would have to shell money out for an actual card reader.
    my patriot 4gb isn't reconized on my xp but it works in my treo and I have a sdhc card reader
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Someone on a different thread had mentioned CardKeeper (which I can't remember how I found now). I had thought my 4gb mini card had been corrupted too but actually this works and it seems to always be visible now.

I was thrown for a loop because originally CardKeeper was to alert you about the state of your SD card from what I understand. Don't be discouraged by that, just find the latest version and it will work.
    gar, my toshiba 4gb sdhc card just died, thankfully after the 1.07 firmware upgrade. I have a second, but after reading the reviews on this card at Amazon, I cannot believe either of them worked this long. Time for a kingston.
    yep.
  17.    #17  
    I just wanted to post an update regarding my Kingston 4GB mini saga. I ended up getting a third card through RMA with Kingston and this third one seems to be working fine - no problems at all. It came in different packaging than the first two I received so maybe this one is different somehow. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep working for me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by krock View Post
    gar, my toshiba 4gb sdhc card just died, thankfully after the 1.07 firmware upgrade. I have a second, but after reading the reviews on this card at Amazon, I cannot believe either of them worked this long. Time for a kingston.
    FWIW, my Kingston card is actually made by Toshiba. At least that's what it says in the Palm Card Info application.
    Neither my Treo or my PC is showing the card period. Is there anyway to force a reformat or to get the card to work again?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKoni View Post
    FWIW, my Kingston card is actually made by Toshiba. At least that's what it says in the Palm Card Info application.
    Ah, but my Toshiba card only carried a 90 day warranty. So I have to buy a new one, not get a replacement. Same reason I buy seagate drives now - I know it's still going to die, but at least I can get a replacement for free.
    yep.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast